Blackburn Rovers (H) - The EFL Cup, Wednesday 9th November, 19:45

Comments

• I seriously can’t believe there is genuine talk about Moyes’ future at this stage. Baffling.

Anyway, more of an issue, how does a World Cup goalkeeper not save any of 9 penalties?
  • edited November 2022
    Yeah it's mad how defensive we are against a championship side who supposedly fielded a second string defense (apparently).
  • Not sure it's that baffling. Our football has regressed appallingly this year and the results have started to follow.

Southampton binned off Husenhuttl and they're only two points worse off than us. Villa upgraded, Wolves look to have upgraded. It's a brutal business now and despite what he's done over the past couple of seasons, Moyes is struggling in the here and now.
  • edited November 2022
    I am genuinely baffled. Honest.

Football gets bad. Performance do drop. Results do suffer. Mistakes are made.

But the rate of turning on Moyes & the team has been, genuinely, amazing.

It’s not great at the moment. We can all see that. Moyes will know that. It will get better. Let’s not start trying to do our best impression of Spurs fans.
  • edited November 2022

Not sure it's that baffling. Our football has regressed appallingly this year and the results have started to follow.

Southampton binned off Husenhuttl and they're only two points worse off than us. Villa upgraded, Wolves look to have upgraded. It's a brutal business now and despite what he's done over the past couple of seasons, Moyes is struggling in the here and now.

Southampton have been bad for 3 years. Before Palace we’d won 9 in 13 & there was a suggestion we were starting to find our way, slowly. A week later & it’s ‘get out of my club, Moyes’.
  • Anybody see the game?
  • I'd imagine those that went.
  • How did we play?
  • We'll never know. Only those that went will.
  • edited November 2022
    Lukerz said:

Not sure it's that baffling. Our football has regressed appallingly this year and the results have started to follow.

Southampton have been bad for 3 years. Before Palace we’d won 9 in 13 & there was a suggestion we were starting to find our way, slowly. A week later & it’s ‘get out of my club, Moyes’.
    Whether you agree with it or not, it's the reality of modern football. Is Moyes struggling? I think it's hard to argue anything other than yes. Are struggling managers at risk of getting sacked? In today's game, yes.

He's done incredibly well in his time at the club, and I suspect he's surpassed even his own expectations, but the reality is that it's a results business and he hasn't been getting them this year. To me at least, and whether I agree with it or not, it's not at all baffling that some are calling for him to go.
  • Hamstew said:

We'll never know. Only those that went will.

Anyone on here go to the game/ watch a stream?
  • I don’t know that Moyes is struggling. He’s the same manager/coach he’s been all his life. The team is struggling & he is part of the team. We have an experienced coaching set-up, experienced players & an experienced manager. The evidence so far is of lots of success under this set-up. This season, we’ve had 3 or 4 poor results (Forest, Brighton, Palace, Blackburn), but there’s still 24 games left in the season & a short break between now & the winter window. There is absolutely no way Moyes will be sacked before the end of the season & nor should he.
  • Slacker said:

Hamstew said:

There weren't any streams. Not sure if anyone on here went.
  • This is the first time for a while that I am concerned. I am going in to each game thinking we are not going to get a result. I don't like this feeling.
    Leicester game is now big....... Massive in fact.
  • I think Moyes needs to address the goal scoring situation, and this is not going to happen by playing so defensively each time. I do wonder if he needs to try something new and maybe bring in Downes to play alongside Sucek and give Rice a proper license to attack in the style of Lampard. Rice can carry the ball with intent which is something we lack at present as Antonio has regressed and Bowen is not up to speed. I think Rice could be the answer, especially if Aguerd can make us more solid at the back with Zouma, in which case we may not miss him as much in the back third.

In short we need someone to make something happen and he is our best player by far.
  • Lukerz said:

I am genuinely baffled. Honest.

Football gets bad. Performance do drop. Results do suffer. Mistakes are made.

But the rate of turning on Moyes & the team has been, genuinely, amazing.

It’s not great at the moment. We can all see that. Moyes will know that. It will get better. Let’s not start trying to do our best impression of Spurs fans.

Lukerz said:

Or…. What is our form in the last year, I know that it’s a season that obviously counts but this isn’t new, it’s been in decline for a while now.
    Also 9 wins out of 13, how many of those were In Conference league where in all honesty the teams we have played are not really even PL standard..
    I’m not saying MOYES out yet, but IMO he needs to change his ways a bit otherwise we IMO will be facing a relegation battle….
  • Lukerz said:

Anyway, more of an issue, how does a World Cup goalkeeper not save any of 9 penalties?

Areola spends most of his time on the French bench, 3rd choice at best.

He wasn't even in the squad for the 2021 Euros with Rennes' Steve Mandanda and Lille's Mike Maignan selected as back up to Hugo Lloris.

He's only won five caps since he was first called up in 2015 and didn't win his first cap until 2018
  • Luke, the last comment I just couldn’t resist….😉🤣

• Slacker said:

Hamstew said:

Yea I was there

For the first 15 minutes we barely touched the ball, was really really poor

After that we started playing it around without dominating....but from the first 15 mins we were the better team up pretty much untill the 80th minute where they woke up, they barely got into our half in the 2nd half up untill we scored

Diaz goal was quality, I thought Johnson could've done better as he ALWAYS cuts in and you could see what he wanted to do, but maybe I'm being harsh as it's always harder to stop then it seems....also theere was so much space for them to attack

On that, the back 5 did not work at all...they just found so many gaps between our Coufal/Johnson and Emerson/Ogbonna, then there were gaps between the 3 CB when oggy and Johnson were pulled out of position

Antonio was at his chaotic best, was a nightmare for there defenders with his power and running but his final ball was always terrible and his shooting wasn't great

Fornals, Lanzini were "ok but not creative enough, it was usually Downes who broke the lines and found Antonio but Downes was a bit sloppier than I've seen him. Coventry was solid, just don't see a prem midifelder there he doesn't do enough or have that one feature that I'd say he's actively good at

Benrahma came on and was instantly a big threat but he missed a big chance to out the game to bed

Scamacca and Bowen couldn't get into the game

Was with a neutral who's watched more games than anyone I've know and he said that balance of play we were better and should've shaved it but Diaz moment of quality was the difference

The pens were alright I guess, think Areola went the right way once which is shocking though... we knew that the keepers weren't saving any pennos so it would've been a miss going wide or hitting the post that would settle it which happened
  • edited November 2022
    It’s a story of our season, not hitting the target enough & when we do, not converting. Another game where we had over 20 attempts, lots of corners, but only two goals to show for it. Finishing is wasteful across the board, delivery is wasteful (open play & corners/free-kicks). We’re just generally sloppy across the board. Not sure the back five was necessary but I think it was used to protect Aguerd who Moyes wanted to give minutes to (with a CB either side).

What is clear is the side are getting used to a more possession based game which they don’t seem comfortable with, which is why we end up with our defenders passing across the back line. This makes the play look slow & laboured. We’ve gone from a dynamic counter-attacking side, which we accepted we were, to a slow, predicable, safe passing side, because we’re trying to transition to having more of the ball.
  • This is a snapshot showing the league table for the year so far published on November 2 2022 so it doesn't include the wins for Leicester, Aston Villa & Leeds from last weekend -

1. Manchester City – 72 points, 30 games, +60 GD
    2. Liverpool – 67 points, 31 games, +42 GD
    3. Tottenham – 67 points, 34 games, +37 GD
    4. Arsenal – 65 points, 31 games, +23 GD
    5. Newcastle – 62 points, 32 games, +19 GD
    6. Chelsea – 53 points, 30 games, +16 GD
    7. Manchester United – 50 points, 32 games, -3 GD
    8. Brighton – 45 points, 32 games, +3 GD
    9. Crystal Palace – 41 points, 31 games, +1 GD
    10. Brentford, 41 points, 33 games, -7 GD
    11. West Ham – 39 points, 32 games, -2 GD
    12. Leicester – 38 points, 33 games, 1 GD
    13. Wolves – 36 points, 33 games, -17 GD
    14. Aston Villa – 35 points, 32 games, -7 GD
    15. Everton – 34 points, 34 games, -16 GD
    16. Leeds – 34 points, 32 games, -23 GD
    17. Southampton – 31 points, 32 games, -24 GD

Three of the teams below us on this table have changed their managers over to you David Moyes.
  • edited November 2022
    And 3 of the teams below us haven't.

And one above has.

As a stat, your point doesn't hold a lot of weight, imo.
    Southampton flirted with relegation al last season - quite different from WH situation.
    And.. we're 11th in that table.
    It's not exactly a bad position is it.

Plus, just cos someone else did something, we don't have to do it to.
  • Which brave soul is going to open the Leicester thread then? Because I think that one might be wild.
  • Thankfully I'm away with the family this weekend so I won't have the temptation to watch it.
  • Lukerz said:

May not have been an issue if he’d saved the 10th.
  • Which brave soul is going to open the Leicester thread then? Because I think that one might be wild.

Winning it’s what I do..
  • On a side note, I hope Rovers come back up. I've had a soft spot for them for years as my girlfriend when I was University came from Blackburn. Her parent's house overlooked where they used to train.

I only went up there once. Four hours on the train to Preston, then she picked me up in her Saxo. People thought I was Australian but they were a friendly bunch on the whole. Fabio (not a name I was expecting to hear in Lancashire) was the only exception; he was one of my girlfriend's friends (I suspect more than a friend, but she denied it, obvs), and he wasn't too accommodating. I think he tried to start a fight with me but my memory's a bit hazy now. I do remember her pulling me away from a conversation with him, but that might of because she wanted a kebab. Who knows.

Anyway, good luck to them.
  • Last time I went there we beat them 5-1 in the cup, Payet was majestic.

Didn’t get into any fights though.
  • As a stat, your point doesn't hold a lot of weight, imo.
    Southampton flirted with relegation al last season - quite different from WH situation.
    And.. we're 11th in that table.
    It's not exactly a bad position is it.
    Neither is it particularly good!

A comparison between us & Southampton since March 2022 - West Ham W 7 D 4 L 15 Southampton W 5 D 5 L 18.

Many Facts can be used to show we are actually going backwards results wise which is what most supporters want the team to be judged on?

It will of course all be fine when Aguerd is playing regularly, Cornet is back to fitness and he sorts out a formation to get the best out of the new players as DM does appear to be struggling to help Scamacca to play to his strengths.
  • How did Southampton get on in Europe?

Oh, hang on....