Aston Villa (A) - 28 August

1235»

Comments

• I thought we had a good second half, but both Bowen and Fornals were really poor today for me. Fornals worked hard, because he always does, but very little quality on the ball.

I expect the 3-4-1-2 will be back next time, but Benrahma needs to be in the hole. IMO, he changed the game for us.
  • The 3-4-1-2 is fine if the ‘1-2’ is a balanced one. Has to be 3 attacking players, with a creative link between midfield & attack. Benrahma or Paqueta (if/when he signs). Not Fornals or Lanzini.
  • Happy with the 3 points, though

Irons
  • edited August 2022
    Bowen needs a sit on the bench whilst a mix of Benny, Scam, Antonio and Cornet operates up top. Maybe a few sub appearances will help against tired legs? We now have options, a lot of them...
  • The big worry is Bowen, its just not working and last season he would have buried that chance in the second half

May have given Moyes a little nudge towards Januzaj. Bowen really needs some competition to up his levels, IMO.
  • That’s 5 wins in a row against Villa.
    According to my stream we also have an English record for most consecutive Sunday games.
  • We do have a bench now which was the problem last season.
  • Benrahma made the difference. Zouma my MOTM, he didn’t miss a thing today. I think we just about deserved it, especially on the second half display. Rice came to life after the goal. Good 3 points and a clean sheet. We’re on our way. COYI
  • I thought Benny was the difference second half along with Declan becoming Declan again.

• Slacker said:

I thought Benny was the difference second half along with Declan becoming Declan again.

I thought it was interesting that Rice looked himself when he swapped sides with Soucek
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

I thought Benny was the difference second half along with Declan becoming Declan again.

I thought it was interesting that Rice looked himself when he swapped sides with Soucek
    Did he go back to the left side? Because isn't that where Paqueta plays?
  • Really poor first half, we failed to press them and looked really uncomfortable with the ball, to hurried and we were lucky to go in level at half time.

To be fair to DM, he changed things up and we were noticably better in the second half, lucked out with our goal but will certainly take it.

The football gods looked down on us today, I thought Fornal was pretty decent today, worked hard, I have concern on our Czech duo, both of them looked poor for me and I am hoping that Bowen discovers a bit of confidence - he needs a goal.

Liked the look of Scamaca up top, was surprised he came off.

Overall, really really important result today and I for one was pleased to see it.

COYI
  • I couldn't care less how we played today, we just needed to win.
  • That makes up for the Forest game we somehow lost
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

No, he started on the left, and then he and Soucek switched, so Rice played right.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

No, he started on the left, and then he and Soucek switched, so Rice played right.
    Ah, good, so longer term, if Paqueta plays as a No8, both he and Rice can play on their preferred side.
  • Benrahma was quite central a lot, with Antonio and Bowen either side before the goal. He really suits that role far more than the left imo. I think he’s been our best midfielder/attacker this season.

Rice in the second half was better than he has been most of this season. Hopefully this is the change we needed. Now to smash Spurs.
  • Oh, and are we to Villa what Brighton are to us?
  • I think we ended up playing

Rice - Souček - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Bowen - Antonio
  • Thought Coufal had his best game in a long while today. He very often turns inside and makes safe passes to Soucek, but today was like first season Vlad, driving up the wing and playing forward into feet. Scamacca yelled at him to give him the ball into feet, and as soon as that happened it felt like Coufal’s game switched.
  • Outcast start the spuds thread and Slacker keep that mug on standby, have words with your wife now :)
  • Outcast start the spuds thread and Slacker keep that mug on standby, have words with your wife now :)

👍

• alderz said:

Thought Coufal had his best game in a long while today. He very often turns inside and makes safe passes to Soucek, but today was like first season Vlad, driving up the wing and playing forward into feet. Scamacca yelled at him to give him the ball into feet, and as soon as that happened it felt like Coufal’s game switched.

So maybe it's a communication problem.
  • Less said about the first half the better, but the second was much more like it. I thought we completely controlled the pace of the game, a few things just not quite clicking but lots of intensity, in defence, attack, tackling, second balls & we deserved our luck with the goal. We’d been in the ascendency for 30 minutes prior to it. They never got any sustained pressure or play & the away fans were in great voice. Had Bowen had any sort of form, we’d have got another couple of goals in that second half.

Kehrer, Zouma Soucek, Rice, Benrahma - the spine of the side really drove the team on second half.
  • I've only just watched it again on MotD2, Bowen could have squared it to Benrahma
  • Just an aside. The away fans in the upper tier yesterday faced no alcohol, pre warned, pies and sausage rolls not being ready to sell as they weren't hot and the soft drinks had ice in the bottles.
    Anyone think they didnt know there was a football match about to take place. 🤦‍♂️
  • They probably had a premonition of the first half yesterday and thought, that ain't football.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62711464/page/2

West Ham's 1-0 victory over Aston Villa on Sunday was "massive", says Women's Super League striker Natasha Dowie.
    The win, courtesy of Said Benrahma's deflected second-half strike, earned the Hammers their first points of the season and took them off the bottom of the table.

And just a bit further down the page.

Sometimes it takes a bit of luck to turn things around - and West Ham will certainly hope Pablo Fornals' fortuitous winner against Aston Villa breathes new life into their season.

Where's that shaking head emoji.
  • Try this instead. 🙈