Viborg (A) - 25 August

1235»

Comments

• happy happy joy joy at last
  • Looks like cornet picked up a knee injury, hobbled off at FT
  • Draw for the group stages tomorro I think.
  • Lukerz said:

Looks like cornet picked up a knee injury, hobbled off at FT

Had we burnt all our subs with that last round? Because he came to the touchline but then carried on. Either we didn't have any subs left or it's just an impact injury that he tried to run off.
  • edited August 2022
    Only saw second half. Looked good until last 15 mins when we made lots of changes.
    I think Benny and Cornet will cause real problems for the opposition this season.
  • edited August 2022
    So interesting line-up that suggests how we’ll go at Villa. Back 3, Fornals LWB (could be Emerson), player in the no.10 role behind two strikers.
  • Sitting here in Italy, had to listen to poor quality commentary but more than happy with the result. Onwards and upwards
  • Massive.
  • Sitting here in Italy, had to listen to poor quality commentary but more than happy with the result. Onwards and upwards

#ForzaScamacca 🇮🇹
  • Lukerz said:

So interesting line-up that suggests how we’ll go at Villa. Back 3, Fornals LWB (could be Emerson), player in the no.10 role behind two strikers.

I loved it when we played this formation back in the 90s, woulda been under Harry I guess. A few teams were experimenting with 3 at the back at the time, although we were one of the few that played 2 wingers/midfielders as the wingbacks; most others played one winger and one FB. Berkovic in behind (say) Hartson and Kitson, Sinclair and Impey or Lazaridis as wingbacks.
  • The draw is 1pm London time

We will either be in Pot 1 or 2
  • Lukerz said:

Not to be ThatGuy™️ but I’ve been saying this all summer. We look like we’re setting up for a 3-4-3 of sorts.

Also seen people asking what’s happened to Soucek’s form so I’ll re-plug the analysis I wrote this week.

http://westhamunitedstats.blogspot.com/2022/08/what-has-happened-to-tomas-soucek.html?m=1
  • edited August 2022
    Loved Scamacca’s goal. That bit of movement & finish is something we have missed over the last few seasons.
  • Moyes has suggested he’s getting there but not ready for the PL so guess it will be Antonio again on Sunday.
  • edited August 2022
    I’d play both of them with Benrahma behind.

Areola
    Kehrer - Zouma - Cresswell
    Johnson - Lanzini - Rice - Emerson
    Benrahma
    Scamacca - Antonio

Fabianski, Ogbonna, Coufal, Emerson, Downes, Soucek, Fornals, Cornet, Bowen
  • Lukerz said:

I’d play both of them with Benrahma behind.

Areola
    Kehrer - Zouma - Cresswell
    Johnson - Lanzini - Rice - Emerson
    Benrahma
    Scamacca - Antonio

Fabianski, Ogbonna, Coufal, Emerson, Downes, Soucek, Fornals, Cornet, Bowen

Bowen starts ahead of Antonio for me, and Lanzini did nothing to deserve a PL start for me; either stick with Soucek or play Fornals alongside Rice.
  • I went with Lanzini as he’s the only real alternative for Soucek at CM (Downes seems to have no chance of starting at the moment). Fornals has never played there in a two for us.
  • edited August 2022
    There’s a lot of attacking variation now with a front 3 & a base of 7 behind it as a back 3/5.

Antonio, Scamacca, Cornet, Benrahma, Bowen. Any three of those would be a very dangerous trio.
  • Lukerz said:

I went with Lanzini as he’s the only real alternative for Soucek at CM (Downes seems to have no chance of starting at the moment). Fornals has never played there in a two for us.

I just think with 3 CBs in behind Fornals is an option, I don't think Lanzini has looked great so far this season.
  • I missed the game but seeing that missed Cornet chance at the end - it looks like Benrahma and Scamacca might be developing a nice link-up. There was a similar interchange where Scamacca dropped a little deeper and played a through ball to Benrahma, who had run into the space he created, against Brighton. Benrahma behind him might be fruitful. Hope so, anyway.