Viborg (A) - 25 August

Last one I've done is two seasons ago, so I'll brave it now.

We have a good lead going into this but need to secure it. Win the ball back and put them on the back foot like Benrahma did for the third goal, none of this letting teams pass about in front of you endlessly. They showed they can threaten us if they're direct and might take confidence from that at home.

May the trains run, the planes fly and our visas be granted.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Tough choices now for Moyes. A two goal cushion should be enough but given our form I wouldn't assume that it's enough, and with a huge game next Sunday he may want to hold some players back for that.

If Coufal's injury keeps him out, then I expect we'll see:

Areola
    Ashby Zouma Kehrer Johnson
    Soucek Downes
    Bowen Fornals Cornet
    Scamacca

Score draw on the night, through on aggregate would be my bet.
  • Areola
    Johnson - Kehrer - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Downes - Lanzini
    Cornet - Fornals - Benrahma
    Scamacca
  • I’d like to see:
    Fab Ashby Johnson Kehrer Cornet Downes Rice Soucek Bowen Scammaca Benrahma

The result is the main thing but I’d love to see us put passes together, zip the ball around and work cohesively when attacking.
  • Isn't Rice still suspended for this one?
  • Hopefully Downes is given a start rather than Coventry, he's not played 10 minutes yet!

This match is only available on Premier Sports, £14.99 for 1 month

7pm kick off in Viborg is 6pm in London
  • Hopefully Downes is given a start rather than Coventry, he's not played 10 minutes yet!

This match is only available on Premier Sports, £14.99 for 1 month

7pm kick off in Viborg is 6pm in London

Downes was injured for the first leg, so hopefully he'll be back and available for this one. I think he's ahead of Coventry in the pecking order so I woulda thought he'll get a chance if he's fit.
  • Downes was injured for the first leg, so hopefully he'll be back and available for this one. I think he's ahead of Coventry in the pecking order so I woulda thought he'll get a chance if he's fit.

Downes had a minor toe problem but was on the bench against Viborg, replaced Coventry in the 84th minute
  • Hopefully we can get Emerson some minutes if that deal goes through by Wednesday night.
  • Apprantly Coufal got a concussion yesterday, so won't be available for this game but will be back for villa
  • Cresswell still suspended? Or was it only a one match ban 🤔
  • edited August 2022
    Cresswell back

Straight red is a one game unless for violent conduct
  • Lukerz said:

Hopefully we can get Emerson some minutes if that deal goes through by Wednesday night.

I'm fairly sure that he would have to have been signed before the first leg to be able to be registered.
  • edited August 2022
    I'm hoping Dawson will feature. Him and Kehrer fill me with more confidence than Zouma and anyone. Kehrer, for some reason, reminds me of Winston Reid (before injuries)
  • Sold out our 1100 tickets for the game. 👏
  • edited August 2022

I'm hoping Dawson will feature. Him and Kehrer fill me with more confidence than Zouma and anyone. Kehrer, for some reason, reminds me of Winston Reid

I would think Ogbonna would be given another runout unless he had a bad reaction to playing last week.
  • Who would people suggest as an alternative to Coufal so we can get some decent crosses into the box?
  • Who would people suggest as an alternative to Coufal so we can get some decent crosses into the box?

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson plays this one, although not sure that will solve the problem.
  • Ashby?

"An attack-minded right-back by trade" according to his page of the club website
  • Ashby?

"An attack-minded right-back by trade" according to his page of the club website

Still more likely to be Johnson imo, especially as he got dropped to the bench on Sunday after playing out of position for the first few games.
  • edited August 2022
    We need to be careful with this game. They showed enough against us in the first leg that they can cause us issues.
  • Lukerz said:

We need to be careful with this game. They showed enough against us in the first leg that they can cause us issues.

True, but it was only our third game of the season, and their ninth I think. Also, it was kinda a makeshift team, so we were definitely not as fluid as we coulda been. Without doubt they can cause us problems, but I think we'll have enough to get through; I can't see Moyes taking this lightly.
  • Still more likely to be Johnson imo, especially as he got dropped to the bench on Sunday after playing out of position for the first few games.

I suspect it will depend on how bad Coufal's concussion is. If he's doubtful for Villa then Moyes might keep Johnson on the bench, save him for Sunday
  • Not sure what the protocols are but he certainly won’t play tomorrow.
  • Lukerz said:

True, but it was only our third game of the season, and their ninth I think. Also, it was kinda a makeshift team, so we were definitely not as fluid as we coulda been. Without doubt they can cause us problems, but I think we'll have enough to get through; I can't see Moyes taking this lightly.
    Weren't they missing two key players from the first leg, due to visa problems, and can now play.
  • edited August 2022

Not sure what the protocols are but he certainly won’t play tomorrow.

Normal return is 14 days after the concussion incident but 6 days for Enhanced return. Enhanced is basically the player is under constant medical supervision.
  • Expat, Yes they can. 😬
  • IronHerb said:

Normal return is 14 days after the concussion incident but 6 days for Enhanced return. Enhanced is basically the player is under constant medical supervision.
    And now I have a mental image of Coufal playing with a doctor in a white coat running after him for 90 minutes

• As long as the doctor doesn't catch him.