Brighton @ Home, Sunday 21st

1234568»

Comments

• Hamstew said:

Train journey home was absolute hell yesterday. Surrounded by Brighton all the way home.

Did you have to listen to all 3 of their songs on the way home?
  • 3? I only heard 2
  • Sounds about right

Sea sea Seasiders

We’re the (insert stand) (insert stand) (insert stand) Albion
  • If you look at the second Brighton goal, you can see the WHU midfielders don't track Trossard, who makes a darting run from midfield and scores. It is a repeat of what happened with Haaland, who ran from midfield and Man City scored. In each case, centre-backs were poorly positioned and also exposed. Neither Rice nor Soucek tracked the man.

I wonder if opposing managers have noticed the static position of WHU midfielders and the gap between the centre-backs and are exploiting it. I am sure Moyes and his team have analysed the videos, but don't seem to have worked out a plan, or maybe they have and midfielders haven't executed it.
  • It’s been an issue for a while, pengman, even back when we finished 6th
  • Ravel49 said:

Sounds about right

Sea sea Seasiders

We’re the (insert stand) (insert stand) (insert stand) Albion

Tbf I did hear "can we play you every week" but I guess all fans sing that to us at the moment.
  • Brighton 0-2 ❌
    • Forest 1-0 ❌
    • Man City 0-2 ❌
    • Brighton 3-1 ❌
    • Man City 2-2 🤝
    • Norwich 0-4 ✅
    • Arsenal 1-2 ❌
    • Chelsea 1-0 ❌
    • Burnley 1-1 🤝
    • Brentford 2-0 ❌
    our last 10 prem matches, at least we are consistent
  • Something specific concerning me is that we had a record for a long time of not losing by more than 1 goal and also scoring in every home game. Both of those patterns are missing this season which shows the lack of competitiveness. Not panic stations for me yet, those three games, when looked at individually, were tough ones for us and bad timing for the forest one.
  • Brighton 0-2 ❌
    • Forest 1-0 ❌
    • Man City 0-2 ❌
    • Brighton 3-1 ❌
    • Man City 2-2 🤝
    • Norwich 0-4 ✅
    • Arsenal 1-2 ❌
    • Chelsea 1-0 ❌
    • Burnley 1-1 🤝
    • Brentford 2-0 ❌
    our last 10 prem matches, at least we are consistent

That’s not great by any standards…
    Even worse reading it… Thanks whupathman 😜
  • I personally am not too concerned yet. We were always likely to lose to City, we were really undertake against Forest. The only really poor performance was Brighton.
  • I think it’s the lack of goals when we scoring freely the team could concede and know we would probably score but at the moment we don t look like scoring and when we concede all the confidence goes out the window
  • I think it’s the lack of goals when we scoring freely the team could concede and know we would probably score but at the moment we don t look like scoring and when we concede all the confidence goes out the window

I know that not everyone loves it as a measure, but our xG is currently 3.11 from our first three games. The fact that we haven't scored is a bit ridiculous given the chances we've had. We've been fairly wasteful in front of goal, IMO, but that will change. I think there's a good chance we smack Villa.
  • Not sure that’s right ald? It was 2.6+ against forest, 0.9 ish against Brighton. Not including the city game it’s already higher than that?
  • Not sure that’s right ald? It was 2.6+ against forest, 0.9 ish against Brighton. Not including the city game it’s already higher than that?

According to Understat it's right
  • How odd. Not used them before, wonder if they do it differently.
  • edited August 2022

How odd. Not used them before, wonder if they do it differently.

Where did you get yours from?

Just to add, Understat says we had 0.25 vs Man City, 2.09 vs Forest and 0.77 vs Brighton
  • I thought the 3.11 was an average when you first mentioned it, but you mean the xG is that we should've scored three goals this season, not per game?
  • edited August 2022

I thought the 3.11 was an average when you first mentioned it, but you mean the xG is that we should've scored three goals this season, not per game?

Yeah, it was a total from our three games so far

3.11 as an average would be Man City / Bayern levels.