Brighton @ Home, Sunday 21st

Comments

• Would just be nice to score a goal in the league
  • Hamstew said:

Would just be nice to score a goal in the league

38 shots across the three games, so it's not as if we've not had the chances. We're just not clinical enough (again). Brighton scored with their two shots on target, and that was the big difference today.

My concern is that even when we do score I don't have the confidence in the midfield or defence to keep the ball out at the other end.

We're in a bit of bother.
  • edited August 2022
    Typical that the only new signing that started the game was a defender who was responsible for their 1st goal. Meanwhile the new players who might actually score a goal were sat on the bench.
    This loss is on Moyes.
  • The most frustrating thing was there were periods when we looked like we knew how to play. It's just that there were only two of those periods and they lasted about 3 minutes.

I don't think we know how to play against teams that are happy keeping the ball without much penetration - Wolves is the other. We don't press them high and make them think about defending and we just slowly creep backwards, never able to win the ball back. I was most disappointed in Rice today, thought he just let the game pass him by, rarely showing for the ball and often not tracking a runner.

The one bright moment was the link up when Scamacca just came on and Benrahma had moved behind him. Slipped a nice pass through and Benrahma's run was smart - if he'd stayed onside. If he can get a link up like that, Scamacca won't be another Haller.
  • Just back from match main thing for me was how ineffective our midfield has become Brighton man marked rice out of the game and we basically could not got through the middle and ended up playing long balls . We did not press other than Fornals , Bowen and Rice are really not on it at all and we were predictable . Brighton sat back and waited for us to make mistakes and punished us with their two shots. Soucek is so off form but we have no one to replace him . Alarms bells are starting to ring our form from the end of last season has carried over think that’s 5 po8nts out of 30 relegation form . We need something from the villa game
  • The thing that is disappointing me most about Rice is that he just isn't doing the things that make him a great player. Either, he sits and does the defensive work and keeps us secure OR he drives us forward.

Last season he was attempting 1.73 dribbles, 51 carries, 7.11 progressive carries and was carrying it 187 yards per 90.

So far this season it.s 0.5 dribbles, 33 carries, 4 progressive carries, and 114 yards.

Obviously there is plenty of time for him to correct that, but these three league games he just hasn't looked anything close to himself.
  • Tbf Soucek has been missing for months so he kinda has to do both jobs in the squad
  • I'm going to look at Soucek's stats tomorrow to see what's gone wrong.
  • The thing for me was the lack of movement and players wanting the ball too often we ended up going backwards or hoofing it as there was no one offering Brighton did not have to do much to win quite comfortably
  • What I am struggling with is this constant rhetoric from Moyes that he wants us to transition from a counter-attacking side (what has made us good over the last two seasons) to a more possession-based side, yet his 11 he is picking is the same front five of last season - added to that the attacking signings we've made are in no real way going to make us have more possession, nor has he signed a first choice CM who we ca play football through. Cornet (pace, direct) & Scamacca are not going to help us build attacks & we're yet to sign a starting 11 CM.

Simple Moyes, let's make some big calls. You've stated you want to change the style of play & you've stated the side has gone stale, both of these publicly.If you want us to become a ball-playing side who can build attacks you pick a side that supports that. I'd suggest something like:

Areola
    Johnson
    Kehrer
    Ogbonna
    Cresswell
    Downes/Lanzini/new CM
    Rice
    Bowen
    Fornals
    Benrahma
    Scamacca

It seems simple to me that playing Fabianski, Zouma, Coufal, Soucek, Cornet & Antonio is not going to support the transition to a possession-based style of play. Seems to be mixed messages.
  • edited August 2022
    Today’s loss was worrying IMO.
    Other’s may say it’s only 3 games but add the last part of last season and we’ve been nothing more than very poor for a while now IMO…
    Don’t think anyone can spin a positive from today, there was very little to give us from a team performance that offered not much in all honesty…
    Soucek came closest to scoring I guess from a few headers that Sanchez made look more than perhaps they were…
    IMO this is the 1st time Moyes has a bit to do here, it’s been a bad, bad start, only team with no goals…
    The only way is up…..⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Just read that Rice's girlfriend had a baby on the 7th August. May explain why he hasn't seemed to have his head in the game so much.

Just read that Rice's girlfriend had a baby on the 7th August. May explain why he hasn't seemed to have his head in the game so much.

I hope he deals with fatherhood better than Fornals, who admitted last season that his form had dropped off because he was helping his wife so much.

I'm not in any way, shape or form suggesting that dads shouldn't pull their weight, but when you're being paid millions of pounds a year and admit that you're underperforming due to personal circumstances, then help your wife (and the club that's paying you so handsomely) and hire a nanny. Plenty of time to be a dad when you're back from training.
  • Or, alternatively, grant the lad some paternity leave. Not being mentally fit for games is as bad as not being physically fit.

We're assuming, of course, that that's the reason for his form, but having a newborn baby, particularly your first, affects every aspect of your life.
  • edited August 2022
    Not the smartest thing to say. No West Ham fan is expecting to win the league, and I suspect he knows that.

I don't believe booing is at all beneficial, but I accept people's right too. It's been a bad start and the fans will react, and whether the players agree with it is largely irrelevant, unfortunately.

Noble is a big act to follow and I think Rice is struggling, to be honest. His body language has not been right for a captain and this kind of comment will alienate him somewhat from a lot of fans.
  • I can understand how he feels to a degree, he probably feels over the last 2 years they have brought the good times back & achieved more than any side has in recent memory. In our first home game of the season we would hope to get a point from, we’ve not played well & lost & he feels the reaction is not how it should be.
  • edited August 2022
    Does anyone know why Graham Potter always finds a way to beat David Moyes or at least not lose to him?
  • I hope Scamacca succeeds but I think its going to be the exact same problem we had with Haller and Carroll, we don't have the right players for a striker like him.

If we want to persist with Soucek and Rice as the midfield pairing then we have to sacrifice Rice's forward game in my opinion, he has to be the guy to DM in front and allow Soucek to go forward where he was effective in his first season for us because its evident since those roles have changed Soucek's form has completely dropped off. I think Rice can develop his game to be a great all around midfielder but he will need to do that at his next club because its not working here.

I would start Cornet/Benrahma/Bowen and drop Fornals/Lanzini. Benrahma has all the attributes to be a good 10 in my opinion and or Cornet can play there.

• edited August 2022
    Lukerz said:
    Bit too honest for some tastes?
    For me, I liked Nobes doing interviews because he was always straight. Decs seems to have taken the same line.

We could always send him on a media training course so he says what people want to hear.

I prefer the plain speaking approach.

Also, I think it's worth remembering that it's his first full season as club captain. On days where we score or there's an obvious hero, the media will ask to interview them.

In days that are not so glorious, it's the captain that has to come out and front up. It's not easy.

He's one of our own, and I personally can cut him some slack.

• Do you think he's been leading on the pitch, Mrs G? Genuine question, because what stood out for me in the City and Forest games was how negative his body language was. Lots of arm flapping and head shaking. Not looking to dig him out because I love him as a player and a person, but I've not been convinced by his captaincy so far this season.
  • He was the same captain on the pitch last season
  • edited August 2022
    For me there seems something not right on the pitch with Rice, perhaps being a new father, perhaps now being ‘ club captain ‘ weighing too much on his young shoulders, last season he was only team captain and Noble was around off the pitch to gee the team up when needed.
    He’s class without doubt, but IMO he has to accept blame for his own underwhelming performances, just IMO of course and after 3 games, he has a long time ahead to change things which he’s more than capable of doing… ⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Does anyone know why Graham Potter always finds a way to beat David Moyes or at least not lose to him?

Moyes record v Potter: played 6, drawn 4. lost 2.

Potter says "There’s no secret, it’s just a hard-working team. When we play well we can can compete". Whatever advantage he has over Moyes he's not about to let Moyes know
  • Soucek is now top for attempts on goal, 2.3 per game
  • I’m not expecting too much from Scamacca & Cornet yet. They’ve not had a pre-season so neither have played games since last season. They have both had one start & a couple of cameos. Not enough to get sharp. Both of them look rusty but you won’t have half-fit players making any impact on the team.

Kehrer I assume has played games but he may be a better RB option once Ogbonna is fit enough to start. Soucek does need to come out the side but that’s only going to happen if we get a CM in the door.
  • edited August 2022
    Lukerz said:

Kehrer I assume has played games but he may be a better RB option once Ogbonna is fit enough to start

Kehrer played three friendlies

20 July Kawasaki Fontale (A) 61 mins
    23 July Urawa Red Dragons (A) 72 mins
    25 July Gamba Osaka (A) 18 mins

He was left out of the squad for the 31 July Trophée des Champions match against Nantes and PSG's league games against Clairmont and Montpelier
  • Train journey home was absolute hell yesterday. Surrounded by Brighton all the way home.
  • Short of his tackle, thought Kehrer had a reasonable debut but he does look a little aggressive to be playing in a 2. He’ll be exposed against good players.
  • Lukerz said:

Short of his tackle, thought Kehrer had a reasonable debut but he does look a little aggressive to be playing in a 2. He’ll be exposed against good players.

I think he'll play RB in a 4, or on the right of a 3 eventually.