Man City (H) 4:30pm Sunday 7th August (Sky Sports)

Comments

• I thought Cresswell had a very decent game.
  • edited August 2022
    The result was entirely predictable, and I'm fine with that. What did disappoint me was that when we did have the ball, we didn't make the most of it. Passes were poor in the final third and the crossing was woeful.

It was a better second half, and I thought the back four actually played quite well. We just need to improve in front of them. A strong, pacy CM would be a good addition, as would a more clinical passer.

City, as usual, were in a different league to us. Can see them winning it all to be honest. Haaland is an incredible player and they were so comfortable this afternoon.
  • edited August 2022
    Yep quite content really. Second half was made ch better and our new striker did well. All things considered we did ok.
    Won't get a better workout than that also.
  • edited August 2022
    Much better second half from us. We just need to carry on from this to games we really can win. This was.probably a good time to play City, and considering our injuries 0-2 is quite encouraging (in a strange kind of way).
  • Of well, a predictable result. Now that this game is out of way, hopefully we can turn a better performance Forest next week.
  • Lost both halves 1-0 but so much better in the second, you know that you will not get many chances against Citeh but as a fan you want to feel lifted when the chance appears, that is why Bowens poor free kick at the end of the 1st half was especially frustrating.

In the second we actually strung some passes together, looked for each other and created a couple of proper chances and I liked the look of Scamacca, so all is not lost.
  • No shame in losing today. Hopefully a different line up next week & a better result. 🤞
  • No shame in losing today. Hopefully a different line up next week & a better result. 🤞

Yeah, I hope they spend all week working on how to get the best out of Scamacca. He looked very useful.

Does seem less likely to run the channels, so I think we need to find a way of playing that allows Bowen and Cornet to work alongside him rather than tracking back all game.
  • OCS, Hopefully we will be using the next week to sort out a few transfers which could mean both outgoings & incoming?
  • Yeah, hopefully we'll see a bit of positive movement on that front. Good cameo from Scamacca, but not a lot else to change a game from the bench.
  • edited August 2022
    SkySports /Halland love in - someone should tell them it was Ronaldo this time last season, and they did that to death. Over exposure = unnecessary pressure on a good player IMO.
  • We really lacked some pace today, even Bowen who isn't a speedster but is one of our fastest was looking very slow today

Cornet helps that, he's rapid
  • I blame Bowens girlfriend ,kept him to busy in the off season ,When he could have been in a field somewhere =)
  • Can only presume it was a lean potato harvest this year
  • edited August 2022
    Personally, I feel when you play Man City, there is only one game plan & it looks like a tactical masterclass if it comes off but looks a little lacklustre when it doesn’t. We played the same tactics we used in the 2-2 draw last season, sitting in shape & allowing them to pass, use the rare time you have the ball clinically. This was always going to be a big ask as it was the first game & natural lack of match sharpness meant those rare moments we were a bit hesitant. In the first half they created one chance, the penalty (Areola done by the surprise pace of Haaland & maybe still adjusting to the game) & in the second half they had one real chance, the goal when they got at us after that spell where we opened the game up.

We had chances; Bowen’s shot was going in in that first 3 minutes, Antonio’s header, Rice’s effort (the best chance, at 0-1), Benrahma’s curler when he should have asked more of Ederson. I felt we defended pretty well for the most part & there was natural rustiness in the legs of Bowen, Antonio, Fornals, Lanzini & they will be all the better for that run around. We had to deal with a couple of early set-backs (Dawson, Fab), added to the lack of options in defence, plus didn’t have two of our new signings & one was only able to be on the bench (but he looked very promising, seems like a proper box player).

Next week will be a tough game but after this effort & another week of training, we should be in a better position to take points.
  • Cresswell was good wasn’t he?😉
  • Luke, agree with all that and let’s hope we do get the season under way next week as Forest looked proper rubbish yesterday.

COYI
  • Cresswell never lets the side down. I thought Bowen was lacking today but he started last season slowly too. Antonio will need to up his levels with Scamacca’s cameo but again there is still an element of conditioning in progress.
  • Lukerz said:

Cresswell never lets the side down.

Wasn’t it you that called him a liability when he got sent off against Frankfurt?
  • Slacker said:

Cresswell was good wasn’t he?😉

Was he? I hope the window doesn’t close without an upgrade being signed. Better people than me have made the request for his replacement to be found. 👍
  • Didn’t call him a liability but clearly that wasn’t a very good day. I remember calling him out for his stupidity for such an experienced player. I can call a player out & still feel he is a consistent performer.

Maybe I need to change ‘never’ to ‘in general’, but I feel he’s a very under-appreciated player.
  • edited August 2022
    Cresswell never let's the side down? Two avoidable red cards in the EL suggest otherwise.

He was pretty good today though, I'll say that much. As I said earlier, generally the back four played well. Rice was his usual self, Soucek did ok, but Fornals, Lanzini, Antonio and Bowen were poor. It's not easy to get into a game like that seeing as we rarely had the ball, but when we did they did nothing of any note with it.

Hopefully it'll be different against Forest, but that game brings a level of pressure of its own.
  • Well at least you didn't use the "anybody who knows anything about football" line hahaha
  • And a £50m striker.
  • Slacker said:

Cresswell was good wasn’t he?😉

Was he? I hope the window doesn’t close without an upgrade being signed. Better people than me have made the request for his replacement to be found. 👍
    Yup he was.
  • In your opinion, or course... 😉
  • Just back from game predicable result was disappointed with how poor we were with the ball for long periods giving it up cheaply. Benrahma was frustrating again poor crossing in good positions offside .on plus side samacca looked decent good hold up play. We will hopefully have a few players back for forest looking for a much improved performance
  • Has anyone read anything about Antonio's injury (before today)? He had his knee strapped but I don't remember seeing anything about it.
  • In your opinion, or course... 😉

Of course, but he was though wasn’t he?😉

• Bowen had to mark Cancelo which is why he was not in the game. City are soooo good.
    I will judge us after our next game.

Still need a LB though.... because we have no cover for Cresswell and not because he is a liability.