The Big Europa Conference League Adventure 2022-23

Comments

• Don't we still owe Anderlecht?
  • IronHerb said:

Hapoel Beer-Sheva, Shamrock Rovers, Dnipro would be nice for progression..

Fiorentina, Anderlecht, Lech Poznan would be great to visit.

Hapoel & Pyunik are not great places to have to travel to as they are about 3,000 miles each way?
    https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/west-ham-conference-league-opponents-24857963

• edited August 2022
    Tbh, there aren't many teams in the group stages for us to be too worried about (in the same way that winning the Europa League group last season was relatively straightforward). Even looking at the EL groups just drawn you'd think we should be able to give a good game to any that are likely to drop down (most groups really only have a maximum of 2 decent teams in them) after the EL group stages.
  • edited August 2022

Hapoel & Pyunik are not great places to have to travel to as they are about 3,000 miles each way?

Be'er Sheva has an airport but it doesn't have commercial flights. You'd have to fly London to Tel Aviv (5 hours) and get the train (one train per hour, 1 hour 30 minutes)

Dnipro not a great place to travel to as the Russians are dropping bombs on it, Dnipro are currently playing home games in Kyiv
  • And I think Kiev were playing UEFA games in Poland.
  • IronHerb, I had heard that as well so why are Dnipro still playing in Ukraine?
  • edited August 2022
    Another link and its just gone live

https://www.uefa.tv/video/live/220808/
  • Dnipro played their Europa League home game in Slovakia
  • They really milk these draws, don't they?
  • We're Group B
  • The goalie they've got drawing pot 1 has the widest neck I've ever seen in my life.
  • Massive fan of us playing one of the Steaua Bucharesti sides. If you haven't read about their recent history then you should - it makes an EastEnders plotline make sense.
  • Chance of revenge for 1976 cup winners final
  • So a club from Liechtenstein and then Shamrock Rovers get drawn out for us, but both are put in other groups due to whatever algorithms are being used, and we get Anderlecht instead. 🤔🤔🤔
  • FCSB, Anderlecht and Silkeborg
  • edited August 2022
    Group of death i tell you =)
  • So, Romania, Belgium and Denmark for our away trips. Coulda been worse I guess.
  • Another Danish team
  • If only we had someone to do research on FCSB and Silkeborg =)
  • So a club from Liechtenstein and then Shamrock Rovers get drawn out for us, but both are put in other groups due to whatever algorithms are being used, and we get Anderlecht instead. 🤔🤔🤔

It's because some clubs have to be on one half of the draw or the other, because they are separating some teams in the same nations from playing home games on the same day.

I think we should smash this group. Sure, Anderlecht are a good side. But they took a reserve player for us and he became a star for them, and then when he left he ended up in the Championship. We are a much better side than they are.
  • Dnipro played their Europa League home game in Slovakia

The Ukraine league is being played in the Ukraine but UEFA won't sanction clubs having to travel to Ukraine.

Still can't make any sense of this??? Do groups A-D play at one time with the other four groups playing in the other time slot. Vaduz (E) are in the bottom half of the draw with Basel (H), both from the Swiss League. Are Shamrock Rovers deemed British so can't be in the same half of the draw as Hearts & us?
  • Silkeborg is about 30 miles south of Viborg.
  • edited August 2022
    This is the explanation from UEFA
    UEFA said:

How the draw worked
    • For the group stage draw, the 32 clubs were seeded in four pots of eight, in accordance with the club coefficient rankings established at the beginning of the season.

• The first pot comprised the top eight clubs in the club coefficient rankings, the second pot the next eight clubs in the rankings, and so on for groups 3 and 4.

• To ensure that paired clubs from the same association kick off at different times, the eight groups were distinguished by colour: groups A to D were red and groups E to H blue.

• When a paired club was allocated, for example, to a red group (A, B, C or D), the other paired club – once it was drawn – was automatically assigned to one of the four blue groups (E, F, G or H).

• Red group matches will not be played at the same time as blue group matches.

Why are some clubs paired?
    In the case of associations with two representatives, these clubs are paired so that their matches kick off at different times.

In the case of associations with three representatives, only two clubs are paired.

In the case of associations with one representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage and one representative in the UEFA Europa League group stage, these clubs are also paired so that their matches kick off at different times.

In the case of associations with one representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage and three representatives in the UEFA Europa League group stage, the unpaired UEFA Europa League club is paired with the club in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage.

In the case of associations with three representatives in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage and one representative in the UEFA Europa League group stage, the unpaired UEFA Europa Conference League club is paired with the club in the UEFA Europa League group stage.

All these pairings are based on TV audiences.

A Slavia Praha & Slovácko
    B Gent & Anderlecht
    C Crvena zvezda & Partizan (UECL)
    D Dynamo Kyiv & Dnipro-1 (UECL)
    E İstanbul Başakşehir & Sivasspor
    F CFR Cluj & FCSB
    H Malmö & Djurgården (UECL)
    I Midtjylland & Silkeborg (UECL)
    J Bodø/Glimt & Molde (UECL)
    M Nantes & Nice (UECL)
    N Sturm Graz & Austria Wien (UECL)
    P Zürich & Basel (UECL)

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/draws/2023/2001690/

UEL and UECL games are all on Thursday's, so they are splitting teams up when they are paired. It doesn't necessarily mean that Shamrock weren't able to be in Groups A-D, but when Group A had already been drawn, Anderlecht could only be in A-D.
  • That's not a bad draw at all.

Based on the average Coefficient within the groups it is the 3rd easiest group.( A and E being easier.) 🤓
  • IronHerb said:

Silkeborg is about 30 miles south of Viborg.

They are currently top of their league.
    Thanks alderz I think I understand. 😁

• edited August 2022
    FCSB better known as Steaua Bucharest won the European Cup 1986, home to such greats as Hagi, Petrescu and Dumitrescu
  • FCSB better known as Steaua Bucharest won the European Cup 1986, home to such greats as Hagi, Petrescu and Dumitrescu

Am I right in thinking they beat Terry Venables’ Barcelona?
    If I’m remembering correctly they played for penalties from the start of the second half.
    Dreadful game.

• Slacker said:

FCSB better known as Steaua Bucharest won the European Cup 1986, home to such greats as Hagi, Petrescu and Dumitrescu

Am I right in thinking they beat Terry Venables’ Barcelona?
    If I’m remembering correctly they played for penalties from the start of the second half.
    Dreadful game.

But lives in the memory. 😂