Summer Internationals

124»

Comments

• edited June 2022
    yoyo said:

Reid in Kiwi side, still going strong ( I presume it's the same Reid, perhaps I should have delved deeper)

Yes it is 😀 Never be forgotten for THAT goal, We could have done with a fully fit version last season. He hardly played for us for years, and last I heard he still didn’t have a club side.
  • Looks like they are missing Rice in the team it’s all a bit rubbish
  • Philips performance is one if the worst I've seen in an England shirt.
  • This has been an atrocious performance by England, make no mistake, but this ref is horrendous. Booking Stones for that?!
  • That has to rank up there with the worst referring decisions ever pathetic but so have England been. A wake up call for the World Cup
  • I bet rice is pleased he is not on the field
  • Turned it off at half time after Bowen went off .Glad i did
  • I’m glad I didn’t switch off, because honestly no reports can do how bad we were justice. Everyone was awful. Reece James was ok when he moved to the right. Sterling was busy. Other than that. It was genuinely 2/3 out of 10 for pretty much all of them.
  • Poor. Nothing learnt.
    Southgate will have 2 months of pain if he sticks with the job
  • Costa Rica beat the Kiwis 1-0

No World Cup for Winston
  • Yikes. I wasn't watching, but I saw the score at halftime. I read your comments here and assumed it petered out to another dull 1-0 loss. Now this morning I'm catching up on the news and I see England got thrashed.

Comments defending Southgate and England based on performance in previous tournaments but they are almost certain to be relegated yo the B league. That's something for the debit column, surely.

As an aside, I realise I disagree with everything Stephen Warnock says.
  • As soon as I saw Southgate had a right back playing at left back I thought it was a strange team selection. Shape seemed all wrong and at half time he made a like for like change even though it wasn’t really working . Bowen did ok not great shame his chance he seemed to have the sun in his eyes but it was still not an easy chance as there was a defender in front of him and goalkeeper to beat. BBC reporting was atrocious last night at one point they blame Maguire for the first goal when he wasn’t even on the pitch
  • "at one point they blame Maguire for the first goal when he wasn’t even on the pitch"

But he is that bad. 😂
  • I honestly thought Maguire was playing until I saw him being subbed on 😂
  • So should all comments defending Southgate based on performance in previous tournaments now be considered null and void?
    There's an old expression "You're only as good as your last job".
  • Twenty years ago in a game that really mattered (a World Cup qualifier) England went to Germany and won 5-1.
    Guess who won the World Cup that year?
    Just saying.
  • Slacker said:

Twenty years ago in a game that really mattered (a World Cup qualifier) England went to Germany and won 5-1.
    Just saying.

I know what you're saying Slacker but Germany weren't abject and England played well that night.
  • Decided not to bother watching it. Sounds like Southgate picked a few square pegs in round wholes. That was the trouble in the old days, trying to fit certain players in. You must pick players for their position. No doubt loads of sideways passing and no cutting edge?
  • Slacker said:

Twenty years ago in a game that really mattered (a World Cup qualifier) England went to Germany and won 5-1.
    Just saying.

Brazil...?
  • So should all comments defending Southgate based on performance in previous tournaments now be considered null and void?
    There's an old expression "You're only as good as your last job".

I guess if you believe that the saying is true, then to be logical, yes.

I you don't believe the saying is true, then no.
  • The Nations League (and most of the international friendlies it replaced) is something that players just don't need. They can have very full seasons as it is, and every other year many have a shortened summer due to the Euros/ACON or the World Cup, so this just strikes as something they really could do without.

The worst part of these results is not being demoted for the next Nations Laegue, but that it's affecting our chance of being a seeded country at the next Euros.
  • Not sure I care about where we are seeded, we still have to win the matches we are given if we want to win any competition. But equally, I agree this is not a tournament that makes me want to watch it!
  • BBC:
    "The two weeks that coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes have been in charge of the Test team have breathed life into English cricket."

I wonder if they know anything about football. ;)