Emirates FA Cup 4th Rd - Kidderminster Harriers v West Ham United, Sat 5th Feb 12.30, BBC TV.

Comments

• But he’s been in training with the squad since September, and the manager has only given him 255 minutes now. For me, that indicates he’s not good enough to get that crack of the whip.
  • When I've seen Kral I've been unconvinced, both with us or with Czech

If Moyes thought he was good enough in sure we would've seen more him, all we literally need to do is play him in a few league games

But he's not cheap, £12mil (rising to £17mil) is what was reported

For that money he hasn't been worth it, and he's not like a young young kid who can get by on potential alone, he's 23 and will be 24 in the summer

Move on
  • He looks a bit of a headless chicken to me

I appreciate he hasn’t had loads of chances but he hasn’t shown anywhere near enough quality when he has played
  • alderz said:

But he’s been in training with the squad since September, and the manager has only given him 255 minutes now. For me, that indicates he’s not good enough to get that crack of the whip.

Moyes himself has said that Kral has been unlucky (the quality in front of him and then the enforced Covid break) and that he hopes to include him more in the second half of the season.

I just think that's it's harsh to say he's not good enough based on so little football. I thought he played well in the Man U and Zagreb games, but was then immediately dropped.

No-one played well today, including Kral, obviously. But there's a marked difference between his situation and that of players like Yarmolenko, Fredericks and Diop who have been at the club for a while and regularly underperform.
  • Wasn't Yarmo instrumental in the winning goal?

Not saying I think he's great, but we have to give credit where it's due.
  • edited February 2022
    Not for me Mrs G. It was a deflected shot that lucked its way through to Cresswell. Not instrumental, in my eyes.
  • Don't get how he gets a game or cameo appearances, is it to make it look like he is earning his 100k+ a week ? cant see any reason why he is ahead of Oko Flex.
  • IMO Kral was way off it, as were most, but he chickened out of a 50/50 tackle which was not good…
    Vlasic also IMO has proved to be the flop signing, not impressed or convinced he’s good enough, for me he’ll end up leaving for a fraction of what we paid for him, I of course hope to be proven wrong though.
  • Kral looked ok when he got a run out in the Euro matches
  • edited February 2022
    There was outrage about Yarmo's dive, including from me. Having seen the replay, however, he was clipped, so it wasn't technically a dive. By taking two steps after and flinging himself theatrically to the ground, he made himself look like a cheat, but really he's just a complete fool.
  • In my simple view: First half, not enough ballers to get the passing game going. (Like the West Ham of old.) Second half, four ballers added, so we started passing and creating chances for the front men. Pass of the day was Fornals to Rice for the goal 👍
  • There was outrage about Yarmo's dive, including from me. Having seen the replay, however, he was clipped, so it wasn't technically a dive. By taking two steps after and flinging himself theatrically to the ground, he made himself look like a cheat, but really he's just a complete fool.

He did make himself look a right div, but I thought his all round play more than compensated for that.
    Head and shoulders above the rest.🎣

• Not making excuses for him even though he excelled himself by not reaching the heights of useless yesterday but I wonder if football is not actually at the forefront of his mind at the moment given that he’s got family back home.
    That doesn’t explain the rest of his time here though.
  • I had a family commitment so couldn’t watch the game . I knew we were 1 nil down when I got to the pub where we were having lunch. They had a tv in one of the bars so I checked the score from time to time. At 86 minutes I resigned myself to defeat.

As we left the pub my nephew got chatting to me and I moaned to him about flipping West Ham. He said they had won 2-1. I told him to stop winding me up, got in the car and drove off grumbling. Then the bloke on radio 5 live told me the same thing. O.o
  • Not making excuses for him even though he excelled himself by not reaching the heights of useless yesterday but I wonder if football is not actually at the forefront of his mind at the moment given that he’s got family back home.
    That doesn’t explain the rest of his time here though.

But he's been this poor for a couple of years now.
  • Hence my last paragraph.
  • edited February 2022
    I think, in hindsight, the team selection was wrong from Moyes. I think the personalities he selected to play were not the ones suited to this sort of fixture. I would argue I was only really comfortable with Fredericks, Zouma, Johnson & Bowen starting. Noble I feel is now finished & the rest of them I just didn’t know how ready for a game like this they were. It was a game were you feel the likes or Dawson, Coufal, Cresswell, Soucek, Rice are going to be needed, the sort of players who respect each team on a game-by-game basis. I am not sure Vlasic, Kral, Yarmolenko, Benrahma were prepared for what they were going to get yesterday & I don’t agree with the logic from Moyes that they have done well in the League Cup & Europa League because that is night & day compared to what we were facing yesterday.

On reflection, it was a massively uncomfortable experience that we were lucky to come away from. If we end up lifting the trophy, nobody will care about that performance, but it was bad. That team has never played as badly as that before & probably won’t ever again. Yarmolenko is not needed anymore. He has never offered anything apart from a couple of purple patches at the start of his first couple of seasons with us.

But, what I would say, is I think any other PL side who plays them yesterday struggles as much as we did. They really were superb &, although the pitch & wind was no doubt a leveller, they outplayed us at times. I am not sure any of the other PL elite would have faired much better.
  • No, we were just rubbish Lukerz.
  • I think it’s easy to say that but also invalidates their performance. They were brilliant. We were dreadful but they were brilliant & made us dreadful.
  • But I don't think they made us dreadful, we did that all on our own.
    They were brilliant for a non league team but they weren't by Prem standards. Not taking anything away from them but they did everything one would expect of a non league team playing a league team in the cup.
  • edited February 2022
    Think we should show our outrage at Yarmolenko diving that we call for a retrospective ban from the FA - possibly to the end of the season? Yhis may also have an added benefit of stopping Salah/Grealish etc in the future!
    Seriously though, diving to win a penalty at Kidderminster live on the BBC on Saturday lunchtime - great way to sell our club to the neutral!
  • I’m up for calling for a ban if it means Moyes can’t play him again
  • We didn't know how to break them down till Rice and then Cresswell came on. Worrying for the time when Rice goes.
  • As much as Yarmolenko wasn’t good, I’m more upset that Fredericks played the whole game. Johnson should’ve started on the right and we could’ve had a youngster on the left to rest Cresswell.

Fredericks seems to have got even worse. He’s always in the wrong body position, overruns the ball and when he’s got someone in front of him it’s like he’s scared to touch the ball. He stands completely square on with quite a bit of distance from the ball, it’s like he has no control over it. The only time I’ve ever seen some potential was I think early last season when we could use him on the break to pull back simple low crosses to Antonio and Bowen if he can get in behind. But we don’t get that time of opportunity to counter much any more, we definitely weren’t going to get it against Kidderminster and he doesn’t look like he’s even capable of that anymore.
  • Think this type of game where Lanzini would've been great, he can trap the ball and releas either quickly or he can drop his shoulder and beat his man

We missed that yesterday, benrahma tried but he hasn't got the vision of Lanzini
  • Apart from most agreeing Yarmelenko, Fredericks, Diop etc etc were all poor.
    How poor was Kral, can we forgive him for not playing regular football and the one who keeps on underperforming, Vlasic.
    For me and I know I harp on about him, but WOW, for what we laid out money wise he's IMO been very underwhelming.
    Can we give him some slack or should a pro who's played for his country loads etc etc be doing better, will next season be the better judgement?...But at present, I'd personally say he's simply not good enough....yet he seems in general to evade criticism like some others.....
  • Think this type of game where Lanzini would've been great, he can trap the ball and releas either quickly or he can drop his shoulder and beat his man

We missed that yesterday, benrahma tried but he hasn't got the vision of Lanzini

Was he injured, he wasn't even on the bench ?....
  • Without denying that there were so many poor performances from those in the initial lineup, but the pitch condition definitely was an advantage for Kidderminster against a PL team used to playing on pitches with snooker table evenness.
    Dion Dublin made the point that West Ham had to take an extra second or so to be sure of controlling the ball.
  • But after taking that extra second or two to get the ball under control they then dithered for another five seconds before having the ball taken off them or passing to the opposition. I only noticed one incident of a bad bobble when Yarmo hit a cross field pass into the stand opposite. There again that may have had nothing to do with the pitch. 🤔