Emirates FA Cup 4th Rd - Kidderminster Harriers v West Ham United, Sat 5th Feb 12.30, BBC TV.

Comments

• I think he was definitely hobbling but I'm hoping even if he is injured it won't be more than a few games. It looked awkward but not like a really, really bad twist or anything. But who knows with these things.

Diop was so bad. Does a youngster start to come in? It would put a lot of responsibility on Dawson to really guide them through.
  • Lukerz said:

If that is Zouma seriously injured then I think that’s our season curtailing given the way Diop is currently performing. Hindsight is wonderful but you live & die by decisions & then what happens after & not signing a CB, to then lose one, makes Moyes look silly.

But hindsight shouldn't come into it. We've seen for a while that Diop is a significant downgrade on Zouma and Ogbonna and can't be trusted. With Og out for the season, a CB should have been signed. It really was that simple, IMO.
  • Normally minnows are either giant-killers, or outclassed plucky losers. Kidderminster were the better team today. They are in the 6th tier so really upped their game today, and should be congratulated for that.
    I do however think that we were as bad as they were good.
  • For me, I understood the team selection but it was the problem. Kidderminster have been in good form, they hadn’t conceded in like 4 games I think, and those lads play together every week, near enough. Our XI today has never played together before, will never play together again. They looked like a bunch of guys who had never seen each other before, let alone played together.

Others have said it, but why we persist with players that will be leaving in 4 months, even though we have a youth squad at our disposal is bizarre to me. Fredericks shouldn’t play at the expense of Ashby, or at the very least Johnson. Johnson shouldn’t be out of position when we have Longelo. Yarmolenko shouldn’t play ahead of me, let alone Oko-Flex.

Like I say, I get the selection to an extent. Our back up players should be capable against a non league team. But we handed them momentum early doors, and you can’t afford to do that against a team that is already extremely up for it.
  • Diop was dreadful and Kral was being out muscled. Poor display from both players
  • It was poor from each of the starting XI, to be fair. Although Bowen scored, he was anonymous for the previous 119 minutes.

But he has credit in the bank; what bothers me are those that regularly and consistently fail to deliver. Yarmolenko, Fredericks and Diop are the three that have plenty of PL minutes behind them but offer so little.

I'm prepared to give Kral the benefit of the doubt because I still think there's a player there, but the three I've mentioned above, and even Vlasic to some extent, really need to step it up a level (not that I'm convinced they have another level).
  • How on earth has Diop become so bad ,perhaps the special one will take him off our hands .Guess moyes is not getting the best out of him .
  • Stagnation, lack of confidence? He seems to have gone backwards. I thought he did pretty well until he had Roberto behind him and we had to play a different way but he just hasn't improved his judgement at all. He might be able to refresh himself somewhere else and it would be better for us to sell him and get in a better player because it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere with us.
  • As the commentators said the pitch didn't help our style of play, obviously Kidderminster are used to playing on it while we were used to playing on better surfaces.

Maybe Moyes should have found us an equally bumpy surface to practise on although I'm not sure the Rush Green ground staff would be happy with Kevin Nolan on a tractor ploughing up one of their pitches

Add the wind holding up or carrying the ball every time we hoofed it upfield conditions were hardly ideal

Regardless we didn't give up, we're into the 5th round and I doubt we'll be putting out the B team next time
  • Never in doubt really.
    Yarmo MOM obvs.
  • Mbarrassment of the Month?

• Maybe Moyes should have found us an equally bumpy surface to practise on although I'm not sure the Rush Green ground staff would be happy with Kevin Nolan on a tractor ploughing up one of their pitched

Potato fields, you say? Hmm

• edited February 2022
    When all is said and done I was fairly relaxed about the outcome. Lulled them into a sense of security and then hit them with a one-two sucker punch in injury times when they had no chance to respond.

We have bigger fish to fry in the Europa League. Whoever the opposition, they will be quaking in their boots having seen us swat aside lesser teams.
  • Moyes seems to suggest Zouma is ok
  • Lukerz said:

Moyes seems to suggest Zouma is ok

Hoping the 120 minutes does him good because he was awful today

Looked like a player who wasn't up pace at all
  • MrsGrey said:

Maybe Moyes should have found us an equally bumpy surface to practise on although I'm not sure the Rush Green ground staff would be happy with Kevin Nolan on a tractor ploughing up one of their pitched

Potato fields, you say? Hmm

We should have asked Bowen if we could use one his secret training fields in erm Hull.
  • Reaches for list, which is just over there...
  • Still can't believe we won.
  • Personally taking credit for our win.
    Haven't really watched any games this season and we are pushing top 4.
    Was watching the match and then at the 88th minute I realised I was jinxing the game, so turned it off.
    Watching OT, got to 25 and realised that I couldn't let it go to penalties, so turned it off again and played with the dog for 10 mins.
  • Well played Moojor. Please play with the dog for the rest if the season!
  • You and OCS. Secret weapons.
  • Despite that horrendous 2 hours, that moment when Rice scored was one of the highlights of the season, love the reaction & Fornals
  • Lukerz said:

Despite that horrendous 2 hours, that moment when Rice scored was one of the highlights of the season, love the reaction & Fornals

A lot of people on social media highlighting the difference between Fornals' reaction and that of Yarmolenko. One genuinely cares, the other really doesn't seem to.

I get that for some players football is just a job, and maybe that's where Yarmolenko is; pulling in his £100k a week knowing he's off in the summer.

His performance really raises the question as to why he gets minutes and Oko-Flex, whose career is only just starting and who'd be keen to make an impression, doesn't.
  • I can only presume that Moyes doesn't really rate many of the youngsters yet
  • For what it’s worth I reckon Kral & Vlasic struggled due to the performance of the players around them. One of SouDec in midfield & no Yarmolenko (please) would have helped the pair of them.
  • For what it’s worth I reckon Kral & Vlasic struggled due to the performance of the players around them. One of SouDec in midfield & no Yarmolenko (please) would have helped the pair of them.

Whilst I sort of agree, I do feel that when nobody performs it’s not really fair to say like those two get a pass almost. Both of them are international footballers. They should be capable of dragging up others performances, rather than needing to be dragged.
  • Kral isn’t good enough
  • Moyes does show a lot of perseverance with Yarmi, today did feel the perfect game to play Oko Flex or Perkins.

I had a look on the Kidderminster forum and one old timer said Rice is the best player to have ever played on that pitch. They do have a bit of a history in the Cup.

I will be following their results for the rest of the season and hope they can win their league, must have a good chance. When you watch these teams you look for a player who could go on but to be fair I didn't really notice anyone, but I think their coach may go on to better things. He has been really good within all the press build up and had his team primed to give the team performance of their life. This was no punt it away and hope or try and kick us off the park, they tried play football, they fought for every ball and each other and conducted themselves professionally.
  • edited February 2022
    Kral maybe can get an excuse (though I've never seen him actually play well) but I Vlasic has been in a lot of situations. He had a couple of games where he showed some decent signs but they were only that. We called them his best games but they weren't good enough to show he was worth it if those were the performances he put in the whole season.

I'm really tired of seeing Yarmolenko. People have mentioned Oko-Flex and while I haven't watched him much, maybe he can be a bit like Elanga has been (bar the penalty miss) in the past month for Man U. I don't think Elanga looks massively talented but he's been fearless in a way that Sancho or Rashford haven't. We could do with that over Yarmolenko, who hasn't even hit a nice shot in a while.
  • Lukerz said:

Kral isn’t good enough

Not sure that's fair. He was poor this afternoon, but no worse than Noble, IMO. He'd only played 210 minutes of football for the club before today and hasn't started a domestic game since September.

He may turn out to be not good enough, but to make that call when he hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip is a bit harsh, IMO.