Man City (h) Caribou Cup 7:45pm Weds 27th October (not on TV)

Comments

• I thought Diop made some really good tackles today. It's really good seeing him get out of that rut he was in.

I was talking to someone about Roberto earlier and started wondering whether that was where Diop's stagnation started - both him and Ogbonna had been really solid then suddenly looked lost. These cup and Europa games have really helped him find his feet again.

As has been mentioned before when discussing Diop, he is only 24 and probably wont be in his prime for a centre back for another 3-4 years, Ogbonna is getting old so Zouma and Diop are our pairing for the future I feel. Bit for now Ogbonna is better.
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

That was a Yarmolenko aargh.

You mean a Yaarghmolenko?
    That's my new FF team name, right there.
    If that was Alderz saying that, then nobody would be surprised!
  • Right then, does Coufal come back in for Johnson? Young Ben has some impressive stats since he's been in the team and it feels like it would be harsh to drop him.

But Coufal has been brilliant from his first game. Like the Fabianksi/Areola dilemma, Moyes has got another tough choice to make for Villa.

Depends how fit Coufal is. He will have had a rest and Ben can have a breather too. Will we see actual rotation every week in that position a la Man City, and Chelsea? :-)
  • Not on tv here, so woke up to the news. Brilliant morning reading comments from all over 🙂 Most very positive and respectful 👍It seems the Irons are now massively top four and quadruple candidates 😁
  • The thing is that back in August people were claiming our squad was too thin to compete on 2 fronts, never mind 3 or 4 and now we find ourselves in a great position in all the three competitions we are currently in.
    To think we made wholesale changes to the team against both Manchester teams and still haven't conceded a goal in the cup is absolutely massive!
    It will be extremely important to only get the right players in in Jan because we don't want to upset the dynamics and the team spirit.

What a final season for Nobes this is turning out to be.
  • What makes it a really special win for me Is the fact that the so called ‘ main spine ‘ of the team ( Fab, Ogbonna, Zouma, Rice & Antonio) were not even involved..
    A great victory ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Can't see Coufal starting against Villa i imagine he gets some minutes again, then a start against Genk.
  • edited October 2021
    Good comment from Guardiola (BBC web site):

"Guardiola added: "They are doing well in the Premier League, the Europa League and now they are in the quarter-finals of the Carabao Cup. A fantastic team, a fantastic manager."
  • Must admit I was somewhat underwhelmed when I saw our team sheet but what do I know. Well, what I do know is that we have the best squad in my lifetime and they can mix it with the best of them.
    Of course City had the majority of the possession, when don't they, and had 25 shots, again no surprise there, but we were rarely scrambling in defence and had a few chances of our own.
    The discipline Moyes has instilled is brilliant. Everyone had a job to do and does it. Vlasic had his best game yet showing the potential he has. Johnson goes from strength to strength and Areola is proving to be a great shot stopper. Everyone did their bit.
    The game plan seemed to work out as well. Get to 60 minutes and see where we are. If we are still in the game then commit players, Bowen, Benrahma and Fornals to go for it.
    The penalties were brilliant and the victory deserved, and nice compliments from Pep after the game to round it off.

We can start to dream of Wembley.

COYI
  • Is Areola a lucky charm as I don’t think he’s conceded a goal yet.
  • Good highlights package on the club web site already
  • The Quarter-Final draw will be live on Soccer AM, Saturday 30 October 10:30am.

Arsenal
    Brentford
    Chelsea
    Leicester City
    Liverpool
    Sunderland
    Tottenham Hotspur
    West Ham Utd
  • What was the formation last night, I wasn’t able to see the game. Was it a back 3 or a back 4 or a hybrid? When Coufal came on, where did he play? Did Johnson move further forward?
  • It looked like a 4-4-1-1 with the ball then 5-4-1 without.
  • Coufal was the one further forward when he came on
  • The Quarter-Final draw will be live on Soccer AM, Saturday 30 October 10:30am.

Arsenal
    Brentford
    Chelsea
    Leicester City
    Liverpool
    Sunderland
    Tottenham Hotspur
    West Ham Utd

There are two big names missing from that list, and we knocked them both out without conceding a goal.
  • The Catalonian Chris Hughton was no match for the Tartan Diego Simeone

We are massive
  • I was having a look at the lineups played by Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool in the cup. Honestly, our “weakened” team is better than all of the lineups they put out imo. City may be the only team with stronger squad depth than us and they rested fewer players than we did, I think. I think for the next round, at home to one of the big teams might be good, they won’t be able to play their first teams in full because of December fixture congestion.
  • Tbh I would want to avoid Spurs and Liverpool. Spurs because they might think they owe us one and Liverpool because we actually do owe them one and I want that debt to be settled in the final. 😉
  • Anyone still not bothered about this cup?
  • Do I look bovvered?
  • I am not actually that bovvered about it in the sense of I wouldn't prioritise it and risk players such as Antonio. I think Europa is our best chance of a proper cup and it would be a real prize as not only a significant competition but a slightly easier way of Champions League qualification than getting fourth in the league. I think it's our best chance as although some very good teams I don't think any of the standard of the top three in the Premiership. I think then the League and FA Cup will be our priority.

I am still delighted we are winning and it gives us valuable match time to squad members such as Diop and Areola who we will want be up to speed when needed. I think we are more delighted because of who we have beaten and what it says about us at present, It still is only the Caribou Cup and most teams don't play anywhere near their first eleven which does tell it's own story. So I would be really happy to win anything but I have my eye on that Europa prize.
  • I have never rated the League Cup.
    But I kind of like it this year
  • C+b, teams play more and more of their 1st 11 as the final approaches.
  • When you consider that we haven’t won anything for over forty years I’d take winning this cup over qualifying for the Champions League all day long.
  • Any silverware is fine by me.
  • Slacker said:

When you consider that we haven’t won anything for over forty years I’d take winning this cup over qualifying for the Champions League all day long.

Everyone keeps forgetting our 1999 European triumph in the Inter-Toto cup
  • Beat Metz that day, if I remember correctly. Great times, no need to worry about Covid or Astra Giurgiu :)