Man City (h) Caribou Cup 7:45pm Weds 27th October (not on TV)

Comments

• It allows the better teams to play a half with their b side and if needed bring on the big guns.
  • "claretandbluesky">It allows the better teams to play a half with their b side and if needed bring on the big guns.
    Should suit us, then... 😉

• The Manchester Evening News predicts the side above.
  • Man City and Liverpool are so far ahead of the rest of the league.

They'll need to have a bad night, we'll need to have a great night and we'll also need a bit of luck, too.
  • Lukerz said:

The Manchester Evening News predicts the side above.

Gulp.😳

• Not a bad side I S'pose :(
  • Ake and Zinchenko are probably the two weakest links, and they're playing next to each other. Attack down the right, I reckon.
  • Problem is that could be Yarmolenko!
  • With our luck even if we win ,Will end up getting Chelsea or Liverpool =)
  • Yarmo doesn't suit our pace but he hasn't looked poor this season. He's played some sensational passes and he's tough to get the ball off. He'll do alright.

Obviously noone expects us to win against city but they won't keep winning in this cup forever, they have to lose at some point and why not to us? I'm hopeful for tonight, I think we have a chance, a good one.
  • I'm going for a tight 2-1 win. There I've said it...hahaha
  • The thing about Yarmo is that while he might have some issues with pace, he could instantly become a much better player by doing things much quicker. He does a lot of unnecessary tricks and stepovers that are so predictable. They slow play down without offering any advantage of confusing a defender. Sometimes slowing the ball down can allow others to move around you when you need to make space but Yarmo stops flowing moves. Some of his runs he makes when he's the most central player are infuriating though. Just stick to the middle instead of going wide and cutting across the player driving forward.

But when he does things quickly he actually can play really nice passes and we know about his shooting. It's just a mentality/intelligence issue with him. Maybe it's too late to solve it but he could be so much more useful.
  • Outcast 👍🏻

It’s the way he does everything so slowly which is the most frustrating, and which means he doesn’t fit in to the way we play.

So much of our play is quick and direct (in a good way), whether on the break or sprinting forward after winning the ball in the middle, or hitting Antonio in the channels.

Yarmo seems to take 4 or 5 touches too many all the time and it throws everybody else off.
  • It just always seems like things he does are a lot of effort. Just getting the ball under control & looking to make a pass & you can see that look on his face like he’s playing Operation.
  • Noble and Yarmo start. No Rice, Antonio, Bowen or Benrahma.

We’re out.
  • Side named:
    Areola, Johnson, Diop, Dawson, Cresswell, Noble ©, Souček, Vlašić, Lanzini, Masuaku, Yarmolenko
    Subs: Randolph (GK), Coufal, Ashby, Baptiste, Zouma, Chesters, Fornals, Benrahma, Bowen

We’re out.

I think we pretty much were, whatever team we put out. City's B is better than almost anyone's A, except Liverpool and Chelsea.
  • I personally would have had Rice in the 11 & Antonio on the bench, but Moyes has obviously given them the night off. Still no Fredericks, Coufal or Kral.

We’re out.

I think we were anyway. Man City have more than enough to beat our first eleven.

Thought Kral may have made the bench for this one, but I guess he needs more time after his Covid break.

Not sure if it's a back five with Masuaku and Johnson as wingbacks, or a four with Masuaku playing left wing 🤔 Either way, I don't think that front line is anywhere near good enough to trouble the City defence; Vlasic still finding his feet and Lanzini and Yarmolenko just not really good enough anymore at this level, IMO.
  • Sorry Coufal on bench
  • Good chance to see how we get on without Rice.
  • Areola
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Johnson - Soucek - Noble - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic
  • I would have gone stronger than that. A core of Zouma, Rice, Soucek, Fornals, Bowen & we would have had a chance of an upset.
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Johnson - Soucek - Noble - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic

Probably.

Two banks of three in the middle, but if we're planning to play on the counter I'm struggling to see where the pace is. Looks like it'll be up to Masuaku and Vlasic, because everyone else is pretty slow.
  • OCS I think for the most part it will be a back 11. Just hope we are not embarrassed.
  • Pointing to a loss but you never know ,I do hope Masuaku,Vlasic .and yarmo has good games .Going to need them sooner or later
  • Bit disappointed with that line up. I know the manager has to juggle but I would have loved to see us have a good go at City tonight.

But hey, you never know…….
  • Sell out. Shame this is our second string.
  • I disagree it was a loss anyway. We’ve pushed their first team before, these aren’t the days of 4-0 or worse. In a cup game it was there for us and if we did manage to beat them that’s probably the biggest threat in the cup out of the way.

I’m disappointed but let’s hope we can do something and at least hold out for the second half. We’ve often played better in the second half this season and some of the first team players can maybe come in for a bit.