Europa League Matchday 2: West Ham v Rapid Vienna (H): Thursday 30th September; 20:00

12346»

Comments

• Yeah I think there is a limit to how many gears you can get into when you make 7 changes to your first 11. It’s a risk but Sunday is a tough game. Playing & winning without expending maximum energy is great.
  • Tough to watch at times but a good professional result. Johnson was my motm
  • Seeing rice in the flesh you realise how good he really is
  • I thought that was a brilliant/professional performance
  • I thought we made hard work of it, but got the job done.
  • Seeing rice in the flesh you realise how good he really is

The guy's on a different level to anything we've had for such a long time, both on and off the pitch. He's a proper poster boy for the club; he's got a really good media image and was picked out for an interview during the AJ/Usyk fight at the weekend.

He's an exceptional player, but he's also a really positive PR figure for the club.

It'll be a sad day when he goes.
  • Not a particularly good game but an excellent result. Rice is back to his best form and there were decent performances from the 'squad' players. Onwards and upwards. COYI
  • Wasn't able to catch the game Live just rewatched it, first half we should have had a hatful. Second half we put the brakes on and nearly let them back in. 3 more points in the bag though. Johnson had a decent game hopefully he gets more playing time in that RB slot he looks more comfortable than in the LB slot.
  • I wondered i that's who he had in mind when Moyes said, "We made a few changes tonight and we gave other people opportunities, and they’re all contributing to the squad and to the team, and I’m going to need them.

That’s why I’m taking a little bit of a chance with some of them at times, but I feel like it’s the right thing to do because we have an awful lot of games coming up."
  • Third gear?? I remember when West Ham only had three gears - and one of them was reverse 😉
  • Another was neutral or park.
  • Interview with Ben Johnson post match https://whufc.com/news/articles/2021/october/02-october/ben-johnson-were-setting-precedent-every-game

I think he comes across well. He had a very good match again, I am more than happy with him as a starter at right or left back. It will be interesting to see Harrison Ashby given an outing or two this season, then maybe decide where Ben should focus more. His versatility may actually work against him, as a starter.