Europa League Matchday 2: West Ham v Rapid Vienna (H): Thursday 30th September; 20:00

Comments

• European footie under the lights - can’t ask for more on a Thursday
  • My only memory of Rapid Vienna is the infamous cup tie against Celtic back in the 1980s. Celtic won over the two legs but the second was ordered to be replayed at Old Trafford after crowd violence.

Celtic duly lost but the highlight of the game came after the final whistle involving a boot/groin interface between a Celtic fan and a Vienna player. It's not funny and I frown upon such behaviour, but it was a more innocent time. How we all laughed.
  • Come on you Irons!!!
    I hopefully be finished in half an hour woo hoo
  • Right looking forward to this tonight.
    I’m far more relaxed about these games than Premier League games where I’m usually in a constant state of stress and anxiety with twenty minutes or so to go.
    For me this is a tournament to sit back, relax and enjoy.Obviously with the right result!
  • edited September 2021
    West Ham make seven changes from the defeat by Leeds but it's still a strong team.

Declan Rice, Aaron Cresswell, Said Benrahma and Michail Antonio keep their places.

Alphonse Areola, Issa Diop, Mark Noble and Nikola Vlasic are among the players to come in.

West Ham: Areola, Johnson, Dawson, Diop, Cresswell, Rice, Noble, Vlasic, Benrahma, Yarmolenko, Antonio.

Rapid Vienna: Gartler, Aiwu, Greiml, Wimmer, Ullmann, Arase, Petrovic, Grahovac, Knasmullner, Kara, Fountas.

From BBC..
  • Well I will trust in Moyes but that is not the team I expected, he really doesn't rate Rapid. If that side get the job done all well and good.
  • Anybody else feel like Moyes likes Yarmolenko and is trying to get him going so to speak
  • I thought we would at least start Zouma or Ogbonna, not rest both! and taking Soucek away from protecting them also.
  • A rest for Soucek was imperative IMO.

I think it’s a strong enough side to get the job done.
  • edited September 2021
    Pretty strong but I would have rather one of Zouma or Og. Og is yet to play in Europe so feel he is quite hard done by. Would have rather Lanzini too over Yarmo.
  • Thanks for the line up Jay but I'm pretty sure Wombat said we beat Leeds =)
  • edited September 2021
    2or 3 quick goals then we can rest Antonio and one or 2 others
  • edited September 2021
    Would have thought Kral was first reserve for SouDec, so surprised to see Noble start ahead of him. His next start will now probably be the cup game v City, and then he may have to wait until the FA Cup for another go.

Not sure how we'll learn how good he his without more regular starts.

But I'm glad to see Areola start in what's a pretty strong line up. Should have enough, on paper at least, to get the win.
  • Nobes makes sense due to it being his last season & our first game under the lights in Europe.

Hopefully not too much rotation. Vlasic, Benrahma & Antonio is pretty strong, plus Rice.
  • Looks like Vlasic as No.10 today which is not where he has played for us so far.

Areola
    Johnson - Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Rice - Noble
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic - Benrahma
    Antonio
  • We have a serious bench tonight due to this first eleven so if Moyes has got it all wrong hopefully we can do something about it. This team should be enough to deal with Rapid but I am just mindful of how many times in recent years we have ended up saying that after early cup exits.
  • Hopefully we'll get a few goals clear by the hour mark so Rice, Johnson, Antonio and Benrahma can get a breather ahead of Sunday's game.
  • Thanks for the line up Jay but I'm pretty sure Wombat said we beat Leeds =)

Well spotted....COYI
  • Wanted Kral and Lanzini to start tonight so a bit disappointed tbh
  • Atmosphere looks brilliant.
  • Indeed.

So I've just poured myself an ouzo, and am looking for a win. COYI!
  • And it's live...
  • Cole and Cole in the BT studio. They’re loving life.
  • Nobles chewing for England...
  • Comms just saying stadium is full?
  • Yarmo keeps drifting inside so we don’t have the out ball when we break
  • Big gap behind their fans and few empty seats near me but over 50k
  • Ian Darke is such a twonk.
  • Something thrown at Cresswell as he's taking a corner, no mention of it