Palace - H

12346»

Comments

• They were coming from Highbury and Islington not Stratford - that's walking distance!
  • My mate comes up from near Gloucester.
  • IronHerb said:

My mate comes up from near Gloucester.

Walking distance?
  • edited August 2021
    The few times I've been to home games I've gone for a pre-match beer in the Adam & Eve, Homerton and London Overground is always mobbed with West Ham fans.

IronHerb said:

My mate comes up from near Gloucester.

How do they get from Paddington to Hackney Wick? (purely professional interest)

It'll be a lot easier when Crossrail finally opens, Reading to Stratford in 69 minutes
  • It’s Paddington to Liverpool Street then to Stratford
  • edited August 2021
    Is it just me, but do Rice/Souček not do a lot defensively on the goals we have let in so far this season?

For our two central midfield players, I think they mark a lot of space, especially Rice. If you watch Leicester on Monday, Gallagher on Saturday, that’s a midfield scorer running from deep, I don’t think it’s fair to solely blame Dawson & Ogbonna when they are faced up with Ayew, Benteke & Zaha. You watch both goals, Souček & Rice are standing in the box doing nothing, & the second goal, Rice is standing in the box doing nothing.

Just expect more protection from those two, despite how great they are. They are our midfield shield & need to help out in the box too. They both do a lot of good defensible work in the middle third of the pitch, but seem to switch off & daydream in our box sometimes.
  • Not really sure what they're supposed to do there. They're shields for the defence and there's only so deep you can expect them to be. They were in position to try and block the ball in but it bypasses them. Maybe Rice should be putting more into blocking out the pass for the second ball. Otherwise, you can't have them standing almost on the goal line with the CBs. Both goals our defence was really deep.

If you watch both goals, its Dawson being desperate to put a big block in and trying to anticipate the shot coming, so he sells himself and leaves a space. A smart finish does him on the first goal and a smart turn on the second.
  • edited August 2021
    Yeah I agree Dawson is the main culprit & why he dived past the post for the first, I don’t know. All he’s blocking is a goal kick.

I just think, if you watch Rice & Souček, particularly Rice, there’s a lot of standing in the box watching.

I don’t expect them to cover the lot, but when it’s a midfield player who scored, I expect a good CM to track that run better than they both have.
  • I thought Rice had his poorest game for a long while on Saturday but this could be down to him being in a bit of a transitional phase with Moyes looking for us to be more expansive, which will leave us a little more exposed at the back.
    When the ball is around the six yard box it is down to the back four to defend it. Dawson got turned for the second goal, and criticised for it, but there has been little criticism of the defenders Antonio has turned to score his recent goals. Gallagher is half decent and was on my pre season buy list.
  • edited August 2021
    I agree herb but when the scorer is a midfielder, I think you have to expect your midfield to support. In the same way you expect your full back & wide player to support with defending a winger who attacks & gets into the box. If we’re playing a side & Benteke & Ayew are in the box, I would be expecting one of my midfielders to be tracking the attacking midfielder, not both standing in the box watching. I agree Rice was as sloppy as he has been but that’s to be expected now & again.

When you watch the first goal, the Palace CB bursts into the box after he passes to add to the presence of Benteke & Ayew. Dawson immediately goes to mark the CB as nobody from midfield follows him. Rice is marking Gallagher, he then leaves him to go & mark space (he did this for Tielemans too if you watch that goal back), Fornals then picks up Gallagher but then stops & Dawson moves from the CB to tracking Gallagher. It’s a scruffy goal & the reason it’s scruffy is 2/3 players don’t do their job. Ogbonna is marking Benteke (but loses out in the header), Dawson is marking Guehi & Rice watches Gallagher run past him. Dawson is covering 2 players.

The second goal is bad too, Cresswell is marking Benteke (what?), Ogbonna is marking Ayew (but Ayew is in loads of space) & Gallagher is sitting between Rice & Dawson (in loads of space).

The midfield does not do anywhere near enough to help out the back line in those two instances, IMO.
  • It’s Paddington to Liverpool Street then to Stratford

Paddington to Liverpool Street you either take the Circle (Platform 2 on the Tube station) or Hammersmith & City (Platform 16 on the mainline station)

Quicker to go Bakerloo to Oxford Circus ) then Central Line to Stratford.
  • I believe the Bakerloo to Baker Street and then Jubilee to Stratford is the superior route, personally
  • edited September 2021

So here is an example for the first equaliser. You can see that there are five Palace players in the box (Guehi, Benteke, Ayew, Ward, Gallagher), vs four West Ham players (Fornals, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell). Rice & Soucek are stood doing nothing but ball watch.

I love them both, but they need to be better than that. 5 goals conceded is not just the back fours fault.