Palace - H

Comments

• Hopefully this will help GSB to decide to spend money , not that I’m hopeful
  • Proverbial game of two halves really.Fair play to Palace they looked way off it in the first half.
    Hey ho, we can’t play champagne football every game but there were a fair few decent ales in there today.
  • Enjoyed the game. Antonio in the last 3rd is such a player. However, Striker needed and CB needed. Unless we secure at least this, I will be miffed to say the least.
  • 7/9 points …
    The only positive thing for me in otherwise a not great week for me……⚒️
  • Poor result. Two points lost. I think Dawson's days as a the first-choice centre-back are now gone. He was again poor today. Need defensive reinforcements and also somebody off the bench who could change a game or allow different game tactics. We don't seem to have anyone to do that.

Still, 7 points from 3 games is good but we are yet to face any of the big guns.
  • 7/9 points …

Smashed Leicester on Monday night. Saw Antonio become our record PL goalscorer. Look to have signed Zouma who will immediately improve what is already a very good starting eleven.

Favourable draw in the Europa League (and just being in the group stage is brilliant for me). Drew against Palace to give us 7/9 points and send us top of the league, albeit likely briefly.

I thought it was a great week.
  • 7/9 points …

Smashed Leicester on Monday night. Saw Antonio become our record PL goalscorer. Look to have signed Zouma who will immediately improve what is already a very good starting eleven.

Favourable draw in the Europa League (and just being in the group stage is brilliant for me). Drew against Palace to give us 7/9 points and send us top of the league, albeit likely briefly.

Happy for u....as said it was not West Ham related....
  • 7/9 points …

Happy for u....as said it was not West Ham related....
    Was gonna say I thought that's what you meant. Hope all is ok Jay.
  • Jay - hope all is ok
  • Ah, sorry. I'd missed that.
  • edited August 2021
    Thanks..and please, no apologies needed...it's life....The Hammers are a brief escape for me at present...My closest friend and Mum of 3 lost her battle this week...Life is short, I'm about to have my 1st jab this week coming which I'm over the moon about, hopefully it happens and I can see my Mum next year...for the first time in ages......

I was gutted we could not win today, but we didn't lose and have 7 points out of 9...
    By my life at the moment, it's a result....
  • Just back from game a bit of an off day for a lot players . Palace out battled us in the 2nd half won all the second balls , Dawson was poor rice had his worse game in about two years we lost nearly every header in the second half. Still a poor performance and we could have nicked if Antonio played the right pass at the end . Disappointed but we would have lost that game two years ago.
  • edited August 2021
    Sorry to hear that Jay ,Will be thinking of you and wishing you better times
  • Is it time to swap out fabianski?. He doesn't seem to do much wrong but also doesn't seem to make any worldie game saving saves.
  • Hamstew said:

Is it time to swap out fabianski?. He doesn't seem to do much wrong but also doesn't seem to make any worldie game saving saves.

Yeah I feel like he’s a good keeper, but 2 or 3 years ago he won us points on his own, and he really isn’t that keeper anymore. I expect Areola to come in for the Europa games and if he does well he might steal the spot.
  • Moyes has put our fairly sluggish performance at times today down to the very very poor quality of the pitch. He says it’s way below PL standard.
    He said we played well on it on Monday but today it was very dry.
  • So water the pitch ,Or does that cost to much
  • I thought Palace were reasonably well-organised. They didn't give us too many chances or much space. We were a bit sloppy in the goals we gave away. We were on top for a lot but couldn't break them down sometimes. Rice was a bit sloppy in the middle today, I thought, and a couple times too hesitant to shoot. We'll get over it but I think today did show why we need another striker/attacker.
  • Fabianski hasn't done much wrong to be dropped imo. I imagine Areola gets a few outings in the Cup and Europa.
  • I agree RE. Fab

He's very rarely directly responsible for letting in the goals, but its been a long while since I've seen us play where I think, "If Fab wasn't there it would've been a lot worse" whereas he used to do that a lot

He has regressed a bit, a solid keeper but would like (and expect) Areola to become the #1 soon
  • Am I imagining it or have Rice and Soucek swapped roles? last season Soucek would venture forward and Rice stay back more, it seems to have reversed. It's a toss up who is better utilised this way as Rice looks better pushing forward with the ball at his feet but soucek offers a threat in the air, it was frustrating today to see us send high crosses in as we were never going to win any of them.
  • I agree RE. Fab

He's very rarely directly responsible for letting in the goals, but its been a long while since I've seen us play where I think, "If Fab wasn't there it would've been a lot worse" whereas he used to do that a lot

He has regressed a bit, a solid keeper but would like (and expect) Areola to become the #1 soon

Could it be because it’s not been “a lot worse” for a while, and the rest of the team have stepped up so Fab doesn’t need to make as many world class saves?
  • I agree RE. Fab

Could it be because it’s not been “a lot worse” for a while, and the rest of the team have stepped up so Fab doesn’t need to make as many world class saves?
    Potentially but I still wouldn't day so, ots just the yard stick has changed to what's "a lot worse"

Like Alison against Norwich, Liverpool won comfortably but when he was called upon he saved what could and should have been a goal

Just don't think he's been a difference maker, the shots he saves are the ones you'd expect most keepers to make

Far from bad but I feel like some of our goals we've conceded last season and this the old Fab could've saved

Far from shot or bad, just solid and worse theb he was 3 or so years ago (as you'd expect)
  • For me, Fab is solid. However, he does not distribute well, and doesn't seem to dominate the box or call to the defence. A good example yesterday was when he could have called to Dawson to clear the ball but didn't, which eventually led to their first goal.
  • Sadly, looking at all of the goals that we have conceded, to me it looks like his reaction saves have gone.

Reminds me a bit like Napoleon Solo in the Magnificent Seven when his nerve went =)
  • I thought the first goal was poor yesterday. Some of the goals we are letting in are very scrappy; nothing balls into the box (percentage crosses), not getting the first header or clearance, missing opportunities to deal with it & then the ball bobbling into the goal somehow. Happened against Leicester, happened twice against Newcastle, happened twice yesterday. We are not conceding many chances over the course of a game, but the ones we are are going in.

I agree Fab was weak on the first. A flimsy hand stuck out which it hit & bobbled in. Think most keepers would have kept that out. These are the fine details. We have dominated most of the matches we have played & we did yesterday, so those finer moments are important to not swing the game & momentum. 5 goals conceded with very few shots on target faced this season points to either some world class finishing or maybe some questionable defending & goalkeeping. As Moyes will say, you can’t keep needing to score 3 goals a game to win. It would be harsh on Fab & Dawson as they have given a lot to us, but we do need a keeper & defender that make game saving decisions, not that just do the basics well & that’s about it.
  • A game we should have won against an average Palace side. Good performances from Fornals and Antonio but pretty average from the rest. Probably the poorest performance we've seen from Coufal since he signed and Rice was probably worse.

I know Zaha isn't everyones favourite but he is stealing a living at the moment. Really ineffective for someone with so much talent.
  • They've got 21yo CM Conor Gallagher on loan from Chelsea, looked a bit useful against Brentford

Ahem

I like that MotD referred to Antonio, Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen as the Fantastic Four

Also Stratford International was mobbed with Claret and Blue yesterday around 1pm. We seem to have a lot of fans in Ebbsfleet amd coming from St Pancras
  • They've got 21yo CM Conor Gallagher on loan from Chelsea, looked a bit useful against Brentford

Ahem

I like that MotD referred to Antonio, Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen as the Fantastic Four

Also Stratford International was mobbed with Claret and Blue yesterday around 1pm. We seem to have a lot of fans in Ebbsfleet amd coming from St Pancras
    I was surprising that a friend coming on the Overground to Hackney Wick said the train was packed with West Ham fans.
  • Stratford to Hackney Wick then beers in The Crate Brewery and Howling Hops bar en route to stadium. 🍺🍺🍺