Matches this week 30 April.

124»

Comments

• edited May 2021
    You've only got to have watched the Man City game on Tuesday to see the benefit of VAR. A penalty given for handball (that evidently wasn't) by the on-field referee was reviewed by VAR, referred back to the ref and correctly overturned. That is exactly the type of thing that it was brought in for and the reason I was in favour of it, and is proof that it does have a place in the game.

The problem, as alderz says, is the level of competence of the people using it. Six referees were involved in the red cards of Soucek, Balbuena and Vestergaard. Six. How can they all get it so wrong?

The 'offside by an armpit' decisions haven't done anything to help VARs reputation, but that's more down to the rules rather than the system itself.
  • I dont know the stats but it does seem more cards are being overturned with VAR in place. Or is that just a West Ham thing?
  • Arsenal knocked out. So that means if we finish 4th, we get into Champions League whatever happens, right?
  • Thank goodness for that at lest
  • Arsenal knocked out. So that means if we finish 4th, we get into Champions League whatever happens, right?

Yes. And 7th place definitely gets European football now, which gives us more of a chance.
  • Great outcome this evening for our European qualification chances.
    Also, Arsenal do not deserve European football next year based on their performances this year.
  • I feel like 2 more wins would see us in Europe. Beating Everton this weekend would be huge.
  • of course the best bit is the old arsenal manager beating the new one :pleased:
  • I had a relatively early shift today, got off the train 9:10pm, went to the polling station, had to queue up, voted then went to the pub and was rewarded with some really annoyed Gooners screaming at the TV.

Fnarr fnarr.

• Arsenal fans this morning.
  • No European football for them next year.

What I think they need is a competition that allows them to be qualified each and every year just because of who they are! They should raise the idea to someone.