Newcastle v West Ham Saturday April 17 @ 12:30 (on SKY )

Comments

• Not convinced by Johnson doesn't seem prem standard to me.

He's a young right back who has been consistently played out of position. You can't base his ability or form on that.

He was caught short for the third goal but are you telling me Cresswell would have prevented it? I think not. He also made a brilliant goal line clearance but let's forget that.
  • Lingard was cramp Moyes confirmed
  • I agree herb you can’t, bit similar to haller being played in a system that didn’t work for him but he was judged
  • I think difference with Haller is he didn’t work hard, for me, whereas Johnson definitely gives it his all 👍
  • lets hope the barcodes a can win 3 in a row and turn over liverpool
  • The Johnson mistake is one we’ve seen all of our left backs constantly make. Cresswell and Masuaku have done it so many times.

He doesn’t look confident in that LWB position but he does still try to get forward. He’s filled in so much during this season.
  • Lukerz said:

I think difference with Haller is he didn’t work hard, for me, whereas Johnson definitely gives it his all 👍

End result still the same imo not good enough in there out of position games for us
  • edited April 2021
    Cuz1 said:

Lukerz said:

I think difference with Haller is he didn’t work hard, for me, whereas Johnson definitely gives it his all 👍

End result still the same imo not good enough in there out of position games for us
    Although Haller was always played in his natural position, a striker, unlike others who are completely out of their natural position.

If Haller was that good, he'd been able to have adapted IMO, he wasn't played out of position, never, just the set up might not have suited him, big difference IMO.

I will judge Johnson when he plays in his natural position, that IMO would warrant a fair judgement.

Anyway I couldn't care a less what Haller can or cant do, he's not a Hammer anymore.....
  • I have some sympathy for Haller but he's not a 21 year old youngster trying to make his way.
  • You could say if moyes was that good he’d have worked out a way to play to his strengths too to suit an argument my point is in the position Johnson playing he’s not good enough on performances he’s giving
  • It's a two way street. Moyes might have tried different ways to play Haller but Haller also needed to change his way of playing, which he didn't.
  • Don’t know why we’re scapegoating our youngest player.
  • Who is this Haller you are all talking about? ;)
  • OCS I’m not scapegoating him at all but in the position he’s been picked in for me he’s not shown enough, I’m not saying it’s his fault but irrelevant of his age that is my opinion
  • IronHerb said:

Not convinced by Johnson doesn't seem prem standard to me.

He's a young right back who has been consistently played out of position. You can't base his ability or form on that.

He was caught short for the third goal but are you telling me Cresswell would have prevented it? I think not. He also made a brilliant goal line clearance but let's forget that.
    Sorry i just don't rate him, his attacking contribution as a wing back isn't there and his defensive contributions that i have watched him play is 2 yards off the pace.
  • edited April 2021
    Just a thought but if you are short at lwb/lb why would you play an inexperienced youngster there, out of position? Why would you not play him at r/b in his strongest position to see what he can do, and use someone more experienced like Coufal at l/b. Denis Irwin enjoyed many years at l/b for United in spite of being right footed
  • Funny that Haller didn’t get mentioned last weekend when we beat Leicester and went 4th.
  • Just a thought but if you are short at lwb/lb why would you play an inexperienced youngster there, out of position? Why would you not play him at r/b in his strongest position to see what he can do, and use someone more experienced like Coufal at l/b. Denis Irwin enjoyed many years at l/b for United in spite of being right footed

Then you have two players out of position.
  • IronHerb said:

Just a thought but if you are short at lwb/lb why would you play an inexperienced youngster there, out of position? Why would you not play him at r/b in his strongest position to see what he can do, and use someone more experienced like Coufal at l/b. Denis Irwin enjoyed many years at l/b for United in spite of being right footed

No, because Johnson is a right back so he wouldn’t be out of position? Unless I’ve misunderstood something
  • Funny that Haller didn’t get mentioned last weekend when we beat Leicester and went 4th.

Neither did Johnson think the common denominator was cresswell and Arthur wearnt injured
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

No, because Johnson is a right back so he wouldn’t be out of position? Unless I’ve misunderstood something
    I'll rephrase. You'd have one player out of position along with an inexperienced player.
  • I'm with yeolderz. He's only young atm so can improve but atm I don't think he's that great. He's been sloppy most times I've watched him.
  • It’s one of those dilemmas. I’d love us to get CL but would be fearful of our actually being in it.
  • edited April 2021
    We may never get this close again, gotta try and grab it. I think we'll fall a tad short but this season's performance, I fear, could be a one off.
  • Don't worry, thorn. We won't.
  • Problem is with EUFA announcing their new plans we'll probably never be allowed in it in future anyway.
  • yoyo said:

We may never get this close again, gotta try and grab it. I think we'll fall a tad short but this season's performance, I fear, could be a one off.

Even if we perform like this season, I’m not sure Chelsea and Liverpool will have such off seasons. So I do want us to go for it and will be disappointed when it feels like we didn’t do what we could to get ourselves close to it (in this case with the tactics). It’s a rare opportunity and we’re in a good position. I think we need to attack it and then it’s fine if we don’t achieve it.

At this point, I’ll be a little disappointed if we don’t get it but that will pass quickly.
  • That’s twice this season we’ve had a player score at both ends.
  • Outcast, if we don't qualify for either European competition my disappointment will be great and it will not pass quickly.

Last time a young West Ham player made a mistake which lead to us conceding a goal at St James Park was Declan Rice, now I wonder want became of him.
  • I can’t see Johnson having as good as career as rice at this moment in time, unless he’s playing on the right, and can’t see that happening with us unfortunately, that’s not a slight on him just that we have a better player in that position