Newcastle v West Ham Saturday April 17 @ 12:30 (on SKY )

edited April 2021 in Match Threads
So the relentless march towards Europe continues with a potential banana skin game at Newcastle.
Can we maintain our crazy scoring spree?
Can we improve our equally crazy defensive play?
Will we have enough players to put out a team?
Will we all have our personal defibrillators at the ready?

If the answer to all the above is yes then come Saturday afternoon we will find ourselves in third spot, a point behind United in second with six games to go.

2-1 Hammers.

COYI

Comments

• As much as “I would love it” to be the case, sadly I don’t think a win in the Paul Kitson derby would put us one point behind United..
  • the Andy Carroll Derby
  • As much as “I would love it” to be the case, sadly I don’t think a win in the Paul Kitson derby would put us one point behind United..

You're right. That was before United's win yesterday and it would have been 2 points behind, but you get my drift.
  • So if I'm right? Newcastle are the only team left capable of doing the double over us this season. Only Man U. Man City and Liverpool have managed it this season.
    If we beat Newcastle we go onto our highest ever away wins for a campaign I believe.
    Let's do it.
  • And Chelsea
  • Am I correct in saying Wilson is back for them?
  • Hamstew said:

Am I correct in saying Wilson is back for them?

Well he and Saint-Maximin came on and transformed Newcastle against Burnley
  • edited April 2021
    The Kieron Dyer Derby
  • Newcastle have drawn the last three home games (Wolves, Villa, Spurs) but have only kept one clean sheet at St James' Park, surprisingly against Liverpool.

What are the odds on 3-3?

The bad news is that Callum Wilson is back after two months out with a hamstring. He played the last half an hour against Burnley on Saturday which was Newcastle's first win since they beat Saints (also the game where Wilson got injured).
  • I'd be delighted with a point. West Ham United rarely get a result there, they have key players back, they have to get one more win to feel safe, we may have 6 key players out or half-fit. And my doctor has advised a 0-0 draw to lower my blood pressure. So COYI, 4-3 it is.😬
  • Last 10 visits to St James' Park W2 D3 L5 GF10 GA19 although that does include the dreadful 5-0 drubbing under Avram Grant where a certain Kevin Nolan scored.

Whatever happened to him?
  • The Demba Ba Derby.

This will be a tough one. Saint-Maximin is a top player and, unfortunately, fit again. Wilson is like a Primark Lukaku against us so him being fit also worries me.

Hopefully Ogbonna will be back because he could make a big difference to our defence, particularly if Cresswell is out.

I would imagine Moyes will stick with a back five, so I'm thinking we'll see:

Fab
    Dawson Ogbonna Diop
    Coufal Soucek Fornals Noble Masuaku
    Bowen Lingard
  • The Pop Robson derby.
  • edited April 2021

• The Nobby Solano derby

They'll be a threat but we've coped with players like Saint-Maximin before. We're much better than Burnley, so if we do the things we've been doing, I think we can get what we need. It's a good time to show we can continue our season's consistency through to the end. We also need to show we can stop getting rocked by a single goal, which we weren't until recently.

I really hope Ogbonna is back for this.
  • edited April 2021
    Key to this will be who is fit. Seems to be some concern over Cresswell, Masuaku & Noble.

If they are out, we could be looking at.

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Dawson - Diop
    Coufal - Souček - Noble - Masuaku
    Fornals
    Bowen - Lingard

Hoping we can have Ogbonna & Lanzini back involved to bulk the squad up. If any of the 3 doubts are available, then they come in. Looks like Masuaku & Noble the more likely two to be fit. If not, Benrahma & Johnson will come in for them both.
  • C&H seems to reckon Cresswell is going to face a spell on the sidelines, but has a scan today.

I was hoping he just kind of jarred his leg and maybe send his hamstring into a bit of a spasm or a bit of a dead leg.
  • Does anyone know what Noble's injury is? I thought at first it was a dislocation.
  • PAUL KITSON DERBY! PAUL KITSON DERBY!
  • Does anyone know what Noble's injury is? I thought at first it was a dislocation.

Hurt his elbow that's all Moyes has said.
  • Kevin Nolan derby.
  • Hamstew said:

Does anyone know what Noble's injury is? I thought at first it was a dislocation.

Hurt his elbow that's all Moyes has said.
    Nobes in a post-match interview: I’m a bit sore. I remember making a block tackle on the edge of the box and I felt something, it’s my elbow that’s sore, but I’m hoping I’ll be okay for next week.”
  • The Lee Bowyer derby.
  • First goal is key in this. They will sit deep & compact. We will need to open them up. The pressure is off them following their win at Burnley & they will gladly take a point I would think. Fulham have a tough game next weekend at Arsenal.
  • This is a game where I wouldn't mind playing on Monday. If Fulham lose then the pressure is off Newcastle and their mindset is different. As it stands they will need to give it their all.
  • I would rather they were under pressure. They were no great shakes against Burnley but scored two in five minutes and hung on. Hmmm. Sounds a bit familiar.....
  • The tricky thing is replacing Noble. Fornals has a lot of energy but might might drift too far forward which would stop Soucek making his runs. I wonder if Moyes might be tempted to look at Fredericks there, given he is more used to defending, or possible Balbuena, if Ogbonna is fit. Some central defenders can step up to play CM - not sure if Balbuena is that type of player.

Fabianski
    Coufal - Diop - Dawson - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Souček - Benrahma/Fredericks
    Fornals - Bowen - Lingard

If he does end up playing Fornals next to Soucek then it is either Benrahma or Fredericks on right side of attack. (The latter would be a more Moyes-type decision)
  • The Lee Bowyer derby.

Kieron Dyer Derby? 🤔
  • Noble seems to think he’ll be ok so let’s assume he is & can fill in.
  • This is a really different challenge. The last three games have been against sides who like to attack and who we could counter. Newcastle will sit in, let us have the ball, and try to break with the likes of ASM, Wilson, Almiron. Obviously there's the big issue that Wilson ALWAYS scores against us, so we're starting with a goal deficit.

For me, I think we need some players on the pitch who are patient and can pick a pass through a defence. I would be really disappointed if Benrahma doesn't start this one, because I feel like this is exactly his sort of game.

If Cresswell & Noble are fit:
    Fab; Coufal Dawson Diop Cresswell; Soucek Noble; Benrahma Lingard Fornals; Bowen

If Cresswell is fit, but Noble isn't:
    Fab; Dawson Diop Cresswell; Coufal Soucek Fornals Masuaku; Benrahma Lingard; Bowen

If Noble is fit, but Cresswell isn't:
    Fab; Dawson Diop Balbuena; Coufal Soucek Noble Masuaku; Benrahma Lingard Fornals

If neither are fit:
    Fab; Dawson Diop Balbuena; Coufal Soucek Fornals Masuaku; Benrahma Lingard; Bowen