The Final 8

Comments

• I hate to say this but I'm praying Zaha stays fit!
  • I think our points tally will be different if Antonio remains fit and Rice returns at the weekend.

With those 10 Points DWWW

without them 7 points LDWW
  • It'll be gut wrenching if we missed top 4 by a point or two ( even though we've done unbelievably well ). I think I'd have to have a quiet moment away from prying eyes. Should the miracle happen and we get top four then my emotions will probably get the better of me and I wouldn't care anyway.
  • Southampton are the sort of team who will annoy someone too

alderz, Yes, who do they play in their last game of the season?

• Southampton are the sort of team who will annoy someone too

alderz, Yes, who do they play in their last game of the season?

Yeah but that’s why they’re going to annoy Liverpool first :)
  • Relying on Southampton is not a cunning plan...
  • The clubs we still have to play should band together and let us win our games....as way of punishing the super league teams (as well know they aren't going to get any punishments from the footballing bodies)
  • The clubs we still have to play should band together and let us win our games....as way of punishing the super league teams (as well know they aren't going to get any punishments from the footballing bodies)

I like this idea.

Jay Rodriguez was already of this mindset on Monday I reckon.
  • Nah, he's just not very good.

• Leicester and Liverpool’s games against United have just gotten a bit easier.
  • I have read several permutations of who qualifies for Europe & I still don’t really know.
  • 5th and 6th will be in Europe
  • It is an unmentioned consequence of Man Utd fans causing their game against Liverpool to be postponed. This has led to a these games being shoehorned in. As a result they may become easier for the opposition.
    Does this not mess with the much-heralded “integrity of the premier league””?
    Who will be the first “big six” manager to moan about fixture congestion?
  • ScotHammer, By no fault of their own the clubs chasing European qualification are adversely affected by this set of fixtures because as you say Manchester United will now appear be an easier game for the three other sides.
  • That’s the problem because the fixture had to be rearranged as it was the PL who called off Sunday’s game. It’s a pity that those morons who caused all the trouble didn’t have a major impact as Utd had already qualified for the CL. Had they been chasing a top four place and out of the EL it could have scuppered their chances.
  • We need to win our remaining 4 games before worrying what other clubs do.
  • ScotHammer, By no fault of their own the clubs chasing European qualification are adversely affected by this set of fixtures because as you say Manchester United will now appear be an easier game for the three other sides.

Not sure I follow?
    Who will be adversely affected?
  • We will have to do a Sheffield Utd and sue for loss of earnings if the rearraned fixtures cause us not to be in Europe 🤔
  • MrsGrey said:

ScotHammer, By no fault of their own the clubs chasing European qualification are adversely affected by this set of fixtures because as you say Manchester United will now appear be an easier game for the three other sides.

Not sure I follow?
    Who will be adversely affected?
    Us, potentially. United now have to play 4 games in 8 days, with crucial matches against Leicester and Liverpool on a Tuesday and Thursday. There is clearly a fixture congestion issue which will likely lead to significant rotation, which, IMO, makes at least one of those fixtures a far easier game for either Leicester or Liverpool.
  • It does also affect Liverpool, one of the teams we're competing with. Maybe not to the same extent, but it makes it harder for them, too.

Leicester benefitting most of all.
  • edited May 2021
    :+1:

That's what I thought, I was puzzled by fortune's reference to 'clubs' as implying 'all'...

imo there's no point trying to apportion blame. That way madness lies. it's just one of those things that happen during along season when fixtures might turn out to be more or less difficult than 'on paper' because of external factors neither club can control.

• MrsGrey said:

imo there's no point trying to apportion blame. That way madness lies.

It's far too late for that, wibble wibble

• MrsGrey said:

That's what I thought, I was puzzled by fortune's reference to 'clubs' as implying 'all'...

imo there's no point trying to apportion blame. That way madness lies. it's just one of those things that happen during along season when fixtures might turn out to be more or less difficult than 'on paper' because of external factors neither club can control.

I’m ok with it leading to madness - gives me an excuse! 😀
  • MrsGrey said:

I love it that MrsGrey manages to include some Shakespeare now and again. =)
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57025657

At least I now have a manager who can see what I was trying to point out. =)

• Who will be the first “big six” manager to moan about fixture congestion?

.......and we have a winner!!🤦‍♂️
  • This is getting interesting. I'm starting to really hope.

I think I'd rather have our current points total, fixtures and form than Leicester's, even though they're 5 points ahead at the moment.
  • edited May 2021
    After last nights performance and their fixtures to come I think Leicester are in real danger of blowing top four.
  • What is Leicesters record against top teams ,Have a feeling its not bad ,But unlike some i do have a life so no time to look it up =) =) =)
  • Well, we doubled them for a starter. 😀