The Final 8

Comments

• Everton @ Brighton tomorrow then @ home to Tottenham on Friday.
  • Beat Newcastle next week and we will be Third as Leicester have a cup tie.
  • I'm giddy. After 65 years a fan and with an irregular heartbeat then gunna do for me
    lol
  • The sense of hope from all of us is palpable regard top four even though I suspect it's against the odds. How on earth did Leicester fans cope with their winning season?
  • edited April 2021

The sense of hope from all of us is palpable regard top four even though I suspect it's against the odds. How on earth did Leicester fans cope with their winning season?

They thought about embarrassing Gary Lineker in his underpants!! Just hope Ian Wright doesn’t promise something similar if we get into Europe. 🙈
  • The sense of hope from all of us is palpable regard top four even though I suspect it's against the odds. How on earth did Leicester fans cope with their winning season?

That is a good point. The thing is that we doubt our teams achievement this season because we are not used to it, but we are fourth on merit. It is this that is starting to make me feel that fourth, or possibly even third, is attainable.

We are playing well and have been over an extended period of time. Of course it can go wrong, that's football, but we need to enjoy this opportunity as they are few and far between.

With seven games to go it's been a great season. Win the majority of our outstanding games and it could become even more magical.

COYI
  • I'm actually starting to hope/believe for 4th.

We've been so consistent this season. We are enjoying the fight for top four while others (Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs) are under enormous pressure to get there.

We aren't reliant on individuals and every player understands their job and the level of effort required to play.

I think we might do it.
  • Think Everton are done

Even if they win their game in hand they'll be behind us, Chelsea and Liverpool

And they've only got the 1 win out of their last 5, plus have Spurs and Arsenal to play next
  • Great stuff Jorderz

I’ve been in that place (mindset) for quite some time.
  • Now missing out in that manner would really hurt....

But we're finishing 3rd so no dramas
  • Four wins will make us close I believe Leicester will bottle it again so believe there be third and fourth place to chase
  • I think whatever scenario you put down i think we would need to not lose to Chelsea to stand a chance.
  • Sorry Yeold but if we lose to Chelsea and win the remaining six games? That should do it.
  • I agree. We need take three points against Newcastle and at least a draw vs Chelsea. Then it's on. we need be 4th or 5th after Chelsea in my view.

It's a tough call this evening as I would like Liverpool to beat Madrid so they spend a lot of energy and attention on a champions League semi final. However should they win the thing and still finish 6th I think they get a place at the expense of the 4th placed team.

We need City (if any) from of the UK clubs to win the Champions League and anyone other than Arsenal to win the Europa. Oh and Spurs to get beaten by City in the League cup, Milk cup, Rumbelowes cup, Caraboo Cup Haribo cup or whatever it's called now.
  • alderz just explained this on another thread -
    alderz said:

yoyo said:

If Leicester stay 3rd, we come 4th, what happens regard to champions league places if either Chelsea or Liverpool win it?

Then we get 5 teams in the champions league. If Arsenal were to also win the Europa then 4th place would go Europa league, 1-3, 5 & 6 would go Champions League

• But we're finishing 3rd so no dramas

Excellent, I like this even more
  • edited April 2021
    finish above spuds and the gooners and it will be a mighty fine season, but I feel we need CL or risk losing some of our best players, which means next season will be somewhat sour to start
  • Last summer most were expecting us to lose our better players following a relegation battle. Now some are expecting us to loose our better players because we only made it to the Europa League.
    I give up. 😂
  • IronHerb said:

Last summer most were expecting us to lose our better players following a relegation battle. Now some are expecting us to loose our better players because we only made it to the Europa League.
    I give up. 😂

they have shown what they can do at the top which makes them more attractive to the tops clubs , Europa league good enough to keep them
  • Chelsea still have to play Man City, Arsenal and Leicester. They would do well to get 6 points from those games.
    Liverpool are the greatest threat to 3rd or 4th place.
  • Three draws would do for me or a draw with Leicester and arsenal and a loss 👍
  • IronHerb said:

alderz just explained this on another thread -

alderz said:

yoyo said:

If Leicester stay 3rd, we come 4th, what happens regard to champions league places if either Chelsea or Liverpool win it?

Then we get 5 teams in the champions league. If Arsenal were to also win the Europa then 4th place would go Europa league, 1-3, 5 & 6 would go Champions League
    Don't fully understand this - 4th place could end up in Europe while below it could be Champion's League?

• IronHerb said:

alderz just explained this on another thread -

alderz said:

yoyo said:

Don't fully understand this - 4th place could end up in Europe while below it could be Champion's League?

5 teams max can qualify from England but usually 4, the top 4

If Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the champions league they qualify

If Arsenal finish outside the top 4 and win the Europa league they qualify

So that's 2 spots, so only 3 are now left

So places 1- 3 qualify
  • If a team wins Champions League or Europa League they qualify for Champions League. If they aren’t already in a qualifying spot, they take precedent over the qualifying spot. The most teams you can have in the Champions League is 5. So in the (usually) unlikely event that two teams from one country manage to win the Champions League and Europa League and neither finish in the top 4, then fourth places loses out and has to go into the Europa League.
  • Don’t worry, we’re coming third 🤪
  • alderz said:

If a team wins Champions League or Europa League they qualify for Champions League. If they aren’t already in a qualifying spot, they take precedent over the qualifying spot. The most teams you can have in the Champions League is 5. So in the (usually) unlikely event that two teams from one country manage to win the Champions League and Europa League and neither finish in the top 4, then fourth places loses out and has to go into the Europa League.

The post says 5 & 6 would go to Champions League, that's why I was confused! Got it now.
  • I think it is fair to say we need Arsenal to lose tonight. That would improve our chances of a Champions League spot.
    Come on Slavia Prague!
  • But if Slavia win the Europa Cup they will then be in Champions League, so will the players we want to raid be willing to come?
  • Don't worry Dodger, they won't win the CL.
  • I agree 100% with Ironherb they will not win the CL as they are not in the CL. =)