Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• Where I am is an island of some 4000 people ( well a bit more now as we have folks who have decamped from Athens). We only a small police force ( about half a dozen) plus a number of coastguard officers who also have enforcement roles.
    They don't have to stand on every street corner, they just have to look on Facebook, where people are posting pictures of their parties and barbecues. They can look out of their windows across to the row of cafés where groups are gathered outside with takeaway coffees, maskless.

Grrr.
  • There’s an opening there to manufacture virus protective masks from coffee filters and there’s no need for them to remove them.
  • Greater London has a population of 8.9m, that's an awful lot of Facebook profiles to look at. Unless the cafes are across the road from the police station then they won't see much and half of the police stations have closed in the last 10 years

Less than 7% of Met officers live in the borough they work in and slightly more than half live outside London. Kensington & Chelsea has the lowest number of officers living in the borough with Islington not far behind.
  • Given the quality of facial recognition software and machine learning these days, I don’t think it’s a case of someone checking every Facebook page manually.

That said, I wouldn’t trust a police officer if they told me the time. I can’t imagine the harm they’d do if they had any of that tech in their hands.
  • edited March 2021
    alderz said:

That said, I wouldn’t trust a police officer if they told me the time. I can’t imagine the harm they’d do if they had any of that tech in their hands.

I don't quite know how to respond to that without being modded - and since you're a mod ..........

But here's a start

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how-police-compare-different-democracies
  • I don't really want to get into a whole debate or anything, because I'm at work, I am tired and I come to this site primarily to talk about good old footballs.

But (isn't it funny when someone uses a "but" to completely go against what they just said?) I will just say that I didn't say in my post that the UK police are the worst in the world, so that article (whilst interesting) doesn't change my view particularly. Even if the police force in this country was the best in the world, I think that seeing and challenging the harm they sometimes inflict is still a legitimate cause for concern.

Lastly, I think it's a shame that you don't think you can respond to me without swearing, getting aggressive or being personal. Those are the only things people are modded for, and I think that we all have it within our skill set to engage in healthy debate and conversation without breaking those rules.
  • Tremendous restraint shown by the police in Bristol last night imo, in the face of disgraceful behaviour by a minority (albeit a sizable one) after a largely peaceful (if illegal given current Covid restrictions) protest against the new Police and Crime Bill.
  • Who'd have thought, when the first lockdown started a year ago, that we'd be in one today? The only thing that's gone better than I imagined is that we already have vaccines approved and, at least here in the UK, we've vaccinated a significant proportion of the population.
  • Looking back over the past year, one of my Sister's had covid and her husband , who's a paramedic ,had it very bad but both thankfully recovered. I feel extremely lucky and blessed that I haven't lost anyone in this dreadful pandemic but I know people who have. My heart goes out to them
  • edited March 2021
    Certainly an interesting article, given the increased visibility of the militarization of law enforcement here in the US, who would have thunked that as a % of GDP, that the US spends less than the UK on policing.

• I couldn't think where to put this, so I thought that i would put it in the "Couldn't Think ..." discussion.

I've just read that Frank Worthington has died aged 72. A wonderful footballer who played in the first game I ever went to watch to see Huddersfield Town at Leeds Road. During the the warm-up he was playing keepie uppie and flicked the ball up, bent forward and caught it perfectly on the nape of his neck when it came down.

A school friend assured me that he poured at least one tub of Brylcreem on his head before each game to get that special greasy early-Seventies look.

RIP.
  • Czech football awards are in:

Player of the Year: Soucek
    Runner up: Coufal
    Women's Player of the Year: Svitkova

We're massive.
  • Has any foreign club ever had a clean sweep of a countries national awards before? That’s got to be some kind of record?
  • We should probably get a trophy
  • Just did one of those league predicter things. Got us finishing 6th, four points shy of 4th.

I'd take that right now I think.

• 👍🏻 ⚒️ 🤣
  • I’ve not actually watched it, but it made me chuckle when I came across a netflix programme called “Schitt’s Creek” which was co-created by, and stars someone called Dan Levy
  • I’ve not actually watched it, but it made me chuckle when I came across a netflix programme called “Schitt’s Creek” which was co-created by, and stars someone called Dan Levy

They're making a follow up series to it, called "Without a Paddle". ;)

It won a load of Golden Globes so I tried watching it. Rich family find themselves without money, have to move to poor town and hilarity ensues from the difference of cultural attitudes.

Gave up around episode 3 of the first season. Truly awful.

Arrested Development much better
  • My girlfriend and I binged Schitt’s Creek and loved it. I personally think it’s one of the best sitcoms I’ve seen in years.
  • Took me and the fiance till near the end of S1 to really get into it but also thought Schitts Creek was great, one of the few series that seems to constantly get better with each season
  • All about the onions but I trust that it did get better with later seasons, like Aslef I only made it to episode 3 of the first,
  • Newcastle Sat 17th April 12.30pm
    Chelsea Sat 24th April 5.30pm

Both on Sky
  • ASLEF, that is great news for those who have Sky. Just getting my children into watching West Ham on tv and they rarely get picked for BT and haven't been on the BBC. The price you pay for being a good team to watch I suppose.
  • I don't have Sky so I use Now TV, £25 a month

Once pubs reopen I'll cancel Now TV cos I'd rather watch the footie with mates and a pint
  • If nobody is going to start the Wolves match thread soon, I will do it.
  • I watched the first half of the Man City game last night and as much as I like them as a club, I thought the antics of Rodrigo and Ederson were awful. Rodrigo won a penalty (which was correctly overturned) by clutching his face when Emre Can inadvertently touched his knee, and then Ederson acted as if Bellingham took him out and won a free kick when in fact he kicked Bellingham's foot.

So I'm wondering where referees miss things, should retrospective yellow cards be a thing? They had VAR last night and I honestly think Rodrigo should have booked for simulation after the review. I know all teams do it (with some players more than others), but where it's blatant and subject to VAR, I'd like to see yellow cards issued.

No doubt there are counter arguments, but I hate to see the way the game is going with the level of simulation/cheating that I see each week.
  • There is a live training session on you tube if anyone is interested. Might not be for most but if anyone has kids etc they may be interested.
  • Jorderz

I watched the first half of the Man City game last night and as much as I like them as a club, I thought the antics of Rodrigo and Ederson were awful. Rodrigo won a penalty (which was correctly overturned) by clutching his face when Emre Can inadvertently touched his knee, and then Ederson acted as if Bellingham took him out and won a free kick when in fact he kicked Bellingham's foot.

So I'm wondering where referees miss things, should retrospective yellow cards be a thing? They had VAR last night and I honestly think Rodrigo should have booked for simulation after the review. I know all teams do it (with some players more than others), but where it's blatant and subject to VAR, I'd like to see yellow cards issued.

No doubt there are counter arguments, but I hate to see the way the game is going with the level of simulation/cheating that I see each week.

If you started handing out retrospective punishments, behaviours would change very quickly. For the life of me I can’t think they don’t do this right now.

I was thinking about this yesterday - I was watching highlights of eng v Argentina in st Etienne 1998 (because for some reason lingards goal v Wolves reminded me of Owen’s!!). In that game though there was also a blatant dive by owen to win a penalty.
  • edited April 2021
    It's a NO for me.

I don't want games re-refereed after the event. I think what we have is ok. I think the review of straight reds (given and missed) is as far as any post-match changes should be allowed to go.

I would like to see more punishment of simulation, and can't understand why var didn't get the ref to look at the monitor to check what happened and consider a yellow card. Use the system we've got properly.

With reference to your example, baracks - if a (missed) dive wins a penalty. Penalty is scored. What do you do on review after the game, give a yellow? But you can't undo the penalty. Or, do you change the score ... you can't because the fact a goal was scored changed how the game played out (manager might have changed formation, or made substitutions...) No. No. No. You can't tur back the clock.

Did I say I'm not in favour? ;-)
This discussion has been closed.