Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Oh, that hungry young player Nobes.  😂
  • I wonder if we will ever be lucky enough to whitness signings like the Kitson/Hartson ones again. Two good strikers signed in quick succession.

I remember a game against Sheffield Wednesday when the scored 5 between them to secure our spot in the prem for another season. The computer then was set up in a chilly corridor and I was playing games listening to the match on 5live. 😍
    Those were the days...

I've still got the Hammers' magazine from when they signed. And yeah, I'll always remember that game; loved that partnership.
    Ever since I made this comment I've been looking for my stash of Hammers News. Finally found them in the loft and here it is:

And who's this cool customer?

And who went to this?

• 7.3m probably would barely cover the agents' fees nowadays.
  • edited March 2021
    5m was a lot in old money

As for Jimmy Nail - Whoever successfully marketed him and sold him to the public as a singer was worth whatever he got paid. The guy was almost tone deaf.

I challenge anyone to watch this to the end (and this is studio produced)
  • I Failed your challenge, Claret&Blue...thank god I was overseas when he was 'big' :p
  • Celtic have sounded out West Ham manager David Moyes about taking over at Parkhead. (Give Me Sport)
  • IronHerb said:

Celtic have sounded out West Ham manager David Moyes about taking over at Parkhead. (Give Me Sport)

Journalist: Celtic need a new manager. Who have they sounded out?
    Editor: Computer, randomise Scottish football managers
    Computer: Bleep bloop David Moyes bloop
    Journalist: Perfect
  • But they would be stupid not to.
  • His stock has certainly risen considerably during this second stint. I can understand the temptation on both sides, but the only reason I can see him going there is if he doesn't feel like he'll get the backing here to take the club forward.

If we finish 4th, 5th or 6th he'll expect decent backing to make us competitive in Europe. If we finish 7th or below he'll expect decent backing to get us into the European places next year.

Doesn't strike me as one to rest on his laurels, so I don't think one good season will be enough for him; he'll want to keep pushing on and I'm not yet convinced that the board share the same vision.
  • I always think that the GSB vision is stay up, loan the club money, rake in the interest, spend just enough to achieve staying up
  • Then that means they have vastly overspent this season. 😂
  • Not a transfer as such, well, at all, but Fabianski has signed a one-year extension.
  • Moyes should simply say to the board that he is happy to stay as long as he has assurances that Rice wont be sold. If they sell Rice then the club have made a statement about their ambitions and he would be better off elsewhere, whether it be Celtic or somewhere else.
  • I’m not sure you can set criteria in this way. Because it would be the easiest thing for sully to satisfy. He (we) could keep rice, but then sully might give no money for any other players - which means we will go backwards

Similarly if someone offered £200m for Rice, should sully say no? In those circumstances, selling him and reinvesting per Moyes’ blueprint might be the better way to move forward as a club.
  • edited March 2021
    Its not a question of whether we want to sell Rice but rather does Rice want to leave

If we can offer him regular European football and the chance of winning silverware then other teams become less attractive. If Moyes carries on bringing in players the way he has then there is less reason for Rice to go elsewhere.
  • Craig Dawson, 30, is three Premier League starts away from activating a clause that will turn the English defender's loan at West Ham from Watford into a £2m permanent deal. (Athletic - subscription required)
  • 2 million is a snip, why wait?
  • Because why rush? If it’s an obligation to buy in 3 games, it’s not going to change anything either way around
  • Between now and April 3rd is about £600 interest on £2m @ 0.5% interest. Every little saving helps.

🤑
  • IronHerb said:

Between now and April 3rd is about £600 interest on £2m @ 0.5% interest. Every little saving helps.

🤑

I wish our esteemed owners only charged us 0.5% interest (well, I wish they didn't charge us anything, but 0.5% would be easier to swallow than whatever they're ripping us off for atm).
  • edited March 2021
    Watford are currently 2nd in the Championship so promotion is certainly possible.

Maybe they're delaying any early sale in the hope that he gets injured and won't play the remaining 3 games so he's still a Watford player next season or they can at least get more than £2m!

On the BBC website someone claims that "Dawson has 47 League/Cup career goals and 6 for England U21. More than any other defender in English football"
  • Arsenal, West Ham, Everton and Brighton are in talks to sign 18-year-old Scotland youth defender Ibane Bowat from Fulham. (TeamTalk)
  • Apparently Ex has said Lingard wants to stay permanently
  • edited March 2021
    The Sun reckons that we'll have to pay more for Dawson if we qualify for Europe but no actual details. At least that explains why we couldn't make his move permanent in January if the transfer fee depends on our final position.

Daily Express repeats Ex's claim about Lingard wanting to make his loan permanent, they reckon Man Utd rejected a £15m clause and want £20m.
  • ASLEF, if the reports of "only" having a £45 million fund for transfers in the summer then nearly half of that on Lingard won't leave much for the other areas we need new players in, that is unless we manage to sell our expensive reserves who DM doesn't wish to retain?
  • Where have these £45m reports come from?
  • If we weren’t to spend £20m on Lingard I think we would need to replace Lingard, and that would cost more than £20m or be for a player less effective.
  • The £45m comes from a C&H article

https://www.claretandhugh.info/the-truth-about-computer-tycoons-hammers-connection/

We have agreed a "finance facility" with investment company MSD of up to £120m over the next five years. £75m will pay off two loans that are due in July, leaving a possible £45m if and when we need it.

C&H says nothing about £45m being our summer transfer budget, that came from the muppets at hammers.news who basically cut-and-paste other journos articles, put two and two together to come up with the complete works of Shakespeare.
  • Thanks ASLEF, I rarely read C@H.
  • ASLEF, Thanks for doing the detective work and finding out where I had read it.
This discussion has been closed.