Fulham on Saturday

Comments

• edited February 2021
    I don’t think Fredericks has much end product personally. Yes, he’s quick, but if you google “Jarrod Bowen speed” you’ll find articles about how his top sprint speed was one of the highest in the league last season, so he’s no slouch. Bowen has also proven that he will work back hard regularly. Fredericks played well against Villa but there’s no way he’s a long term right winger for me.
  • Ham I agree with your comments but Cresser should be able to provide the inswinging corners from the right and with Antonio, Benrhama, Lingard and Soucek all likely to get a goal I would prioritise giving them some service.
  • Yep all valid stuff Sledgerz but just in my view I would just like to see Bowen back as I feel we are more likely to score with him in the team, either through himself or from a corner. Tbh though either could be playing and we should really be able to win.
  • edited February 2021
    I think when Fredericks has played in a more advanced position as a wingback or a winger he’s been able to effectively get beyond the last man and pull it back into the box from the touch line quite effectively. It’s useful for how Antonio has been finishing but it’s only one trick. Bowen is a much better player and easily first choice. Fredericks was useful against Grealish and maybe he’d help in the City game, where we’re likely to be penned in and might need someone direct to just run in behind. I know Bowen isn’t slow but when you’re cutting in onto your left, the effect of that speed gets lost a bit.

I definitely want Bowen playing against Fulham.
  • Lets hope Fredericks stays fit its good we have options and can change things depending on the situation
  • edited February 2021
    Yep, Bowen in for me in only change. Leave Fornals out for the Cup game, where he’ll replace Lingard.

This is a big game as, whilst I don’t think any of us feel we'll finish top four, I’d like us to keep things interesting for as long as we can & try & cement our place in the top 8. We have two difficult games now, but both against bottom 3 sides & then an out of form Spurs.

If we can get 3 points here, & Liverpool lose to City, we go into a home game with the bottom club in 4th.
  • I expect Fredericks to play, personally.

Moyes seems the type to reward good performances with a run in the starting line-up e.g Dawson.

Not sure Fredericks did enough to be dropped, but we’ll see.
  • I just assumed Fredericks was brought into the team just for a specific reason because of the team we were playing.
  • Hamstew said:

I just assumed Fredericks was brought into the team just for a specific reason because of the team we were playing.

Fredericks pretty much admitted that in an interview with the ES. I wonder if Moyes will use the same tactic against Man U, in which case I'd expect Bowen for Fulham and maybe Fredericks for United.
  • Agree with Ham re Bowen and corners, his are normall top notch and no Grealish = no Fredericks for me....
  • edited February 2021

Iron Herb. I don't think any team this season can "expect a comfortable win" I think it will be a tough game, but I will be disappointed if we don't get 3 points.

I agree.

Fulham are a vastly improved unit since we played them & they were pretty comfortable in that game then & should have got a 1-1. I know we are also vastly improved, but this will not be a straightforward game.

They are much better defensively, they keep the ball well & can move it very nicely, even when pressed. Loftus-Cheek, Lookman, Lemina, Mitrovic, Maja. This will not be a rout. Parker will have the incentive of getting one over his old side.

Having said that, we should be confident, we should back ourselves, we shouldn't settle for anything other than 3 points, which is fine, but I can't see this being a 0-3/0-4 game. I watched Liverpool, luckily, get a point, Chelsea win 0-1 (Fulham had 10 men), United win 1-2 (after going behind). I don't think their points tally reflects what they should have.

After starting off the season with a few thrashings (loads of goals conceded), this is their last 18 league results (only 2 defeats by more than 1 goal):

Fulham 0-2 Leicester
    WBA 2-2 Fulham (Fulham should have been 0-4 up at HT)
    Brighton 0-0 Fulham (look what Brighton have done since)
    Fulham 1-2 Manchester UTD
    Fulham 0-1 Chelsea
    Spurs 1-1 Fulham
    Fulham 0-0 Southampton
    Newcastle 1-1 Fulham
    Fulham 0-0 Brighton
    Fulham 1-1 Liverpool
    Manchester City 2-0 Fulham
    Leicester 1-2 Fulham
    Fulham 2-3 Everton
    West Ham 1-0 Fulham
    Fulham 2-0 WBA
    Fulham 1-2 Palace
    Sheffield UTD 1-1 Fulham
    Wolves 1-0 Fulham

When you look at their defeats, 6 of them are against current top 7 teams. The 2 sides they lost to who are currently in the bottom half, they played back in October. So recent form suggests they only lose to top 7 teams (I know we sit 5th, but just highlighting their new resilience).

It's also a big game for them. We're at that time where they will start to be cut adrift with Brightons recent results. Let's face it, Palace/Newcastle/Burnley/Wolves - none of those sides will go down.
  • They have n't won at home since they beat West Brom too many draws is their problems they were pretty unlucky against us but they did n't deserve much if you take penalties like Lookman
  • edited February 2021

"We’ve a really important Premier League game and then an FA Cup tie in midweek as well, so it’s another really big week for us.

That said, I’m not thinking about the cup tie tomorrow, that’s for sure, but I know it’s on the horizon because of the week we’ve got.

I’ll look to see about my team selection. I wouldn’t call it rotating, but we made a couple of changes and we’ve tried to make sure all our players are ready to play so we might look a little bit differently.

Every game gives us its own level of difficulty, like Aston Villa in midweek, so we’ll look at this game and see what we do for this one."

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/february/05-february/david-moyes-lingard-soucek-masuaku-fulham-consistency-and

So a suggestion there may be some rotation tomorrow.
  • Yes. M
    alderz said:

I don’t think Fredericks has much end product personally. Yes, he’s quick, but if you google “Jarrod Bowen speed” you’ll find articles about how his top sprint speed was one of the highest in the league last season, so he’s no slouch. Bowen has also proven that he will work back hard regularly. Fredericks played well against Villa but there’s no way he’s a long term right winger for me.

Are you actually saying Bowen was one of the top sprinters in the Prem last season? Would be interested to know where he is in the leader board. He very rarely beats a full back for pace in the games I have seen.
  • It seems pretty obvious that Fredericks was picked to counter Grealish, the closest Fulham have to a "Grealish" is Ademola Lookman and he didn't cause us too much trouble last time so I expect Bowen to start on the right.

The only notable absence for Fulham is captain CM Tom Cairney, been out with a knee injury since the end of December.

ST Josh Maja, on loan from Girondins de Bordeaux, should be available.

• Moyes says "I wouldn’t call it rotating"
    Lukerz says "So a suggestion there may be some rotation tomorrow."

Hmmm.
  • Moyes may not call it that, but it’s what it will be if he makes more than one change.
  • He made two changes at Villa for tactical reasons.

Fulham have improved from a totally abject side to a below average side. The Hammers have changed from an average side to a better than average side. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park but if we play anywhere near how we did at Villa I feel we can score a few. Antonio missed four good chances at Palace and another three or four at Villa. He is due a hatful, so why not atFulham.
  • Hope so IH we could do with improving our goal difference.
  • Agree with Ham re Bowen and corners, his are normall top notch and no Grealish = no Fredericks for me....

They are normally top notch but he did take the one that Liverpool scored from whereas Cresswell took the one that Dawson scored from - just sayin
  • alderz said:

Are you actually saying Bowen was one of the top sprinters in the Prem last season? Would be interested to know where he is in the leader board. He very rarely beats a full back for pace in the games I have seen.
    As I said before, you can google it. I'm not posting a link because it's the S*n and I'm not sharing that filth, but it is the top result if you search "Jarrod Bowen sprint speed". The story is called "West Ham star Jarrod Bowen fastest in Premier League" and it says he was clocked at 22.3 miles per hour in one game. According to a quick search for "Sadio Mane top speed", Mane - someone renowned for pace - has a top speed of 21.4mph.

They are normally top notch but he did take the one that Liverpool scored from whereas Cresswell took the one that Dawson scored from - just sayin
    Fair play!..But in this game, think considering our form we need to play Bowen rather than focusing on defending..IMO of course...
  • I think for the Fulham team selection, Moyes will have one-eye on Tuesday's FA Cup match against MANU. He would probably want to rotate and give rest to one or two players. I would put Antonio in this category. May be he will only play half a game before being subbed by Yarmalenko. Odubeko played tonight in the 6-1 EPL2 defeat against Brighton and may not be on the bench. I suppose it will all depend on how the game progresses. If we are leading by 2 or 3 goals, then Moyes would be tempted to rest players.
  • Lawro has predicted a 2-0 win

Prepare for a 0-0 draw
  • It’s nice to be this excited about watching us. Can’t wait for 5.30.
  • Two things we are get to experience this season:
    A red card
    A penalty
  • Lukerz said:

Two things we are get to experience this season:
    A red card
    A penalty

Mike Dean reffing and Lee Mason is VAR.

I think I know which is more likely this evening.
  • Big Ant scores a pen
    Then gets his second booking celebrating
  • Big Ant scores a pen
    Then gets his second booking celebrating

Didn't we have that happen (not Antonio)? And we then conceded while down to 10 men?
  • edited February 2021
    Piquionne at Everton I believe. Jumped over the hoarding towards the crowd.