Other games, Sat 30th Jan - Thurs 4th Feb

Comments

• Ummm, learned something new about VAR in the Arsenal-Man Utd game (assuming the half time analysis is correct). They said that, when investigating a possible red card incident (in which Fernandes wasn't even booked), although the VAR ref could only give a red or nothing, if the onfield ref had been advised to check the pitchside monitor he had the option of giving a yellow as well as a red or nothing (was definitely at least a yellow imo).
  • Arlo White just said commentating on the Arsenal-ManU game .... we're off to London Stadium tomorrow to watch London's best team
  • To imitate Gary Linekers tweet earlier in the week "with Everton losing, Arsenal and Man Utd drawing, it's been a good day for West Ham.
  • edited January 2021
    Ridiculous VAR decision to Not award Southampton a penalty v Villa. Definite movement of hand to ball..
  • Strange decision, but at the same time, not so strange.
  • edited January 2021
    Is Lee Mason a lookalike for Raymond Van Barneveld?
  • Maybe but RVB is certainly a better ref.
  • Southampton robbed in injury time with another VAR disallowed goal for being millimeters “offside” getting tired of this, when it is difficult to make a decision even in slow motion and with the benefit of the latest technology, IMO, the default should be that the striker should be given the benefit of the doubt.

• edited January 2021
    Well Ings clearly gained an advantage from his band, worn in memory, being offside. What a joke.
  • Also, maybe Dean Smith will shut up now, and realise decisions even themselves out.
  • Lukerz said:

Also, maybe Dean Smith will shut up now, and realise decisions even themselves out.

And maybe Ham will get an Attilio Lombardo tattoo
  • From the BBC report:
    "Ross Barkley headed the winner as Aston Villa reignited their European hopes with victory over Southampton"

We have won our last 4 PL games following a draw and as far as I can recall have not been referred to in terms of European competitions.
    Villa have lost 3 won 2 in their last 5, but have "reignited their European hopes".

Really?
  • On MOTD, the gushing from Lineker, Wright and Jenas about Grealish, or "Jack" as they call him, and Lineker "you've got to be talking about the footballer of the year", is positively vomit-inducing.
  • I don’t like Grealish particularly, but I find it really hard to understand anyone thinking he hasn’t been brilliant all season
  • He would improve any team in the Premier League.
  • He is easily the player of the season so far.

Let’s hope Soucek, once he has gone past 15 goals for the season, can pip him to the post.
  • On MOTD, the gushing from Lineker, Wright and Jenas about Grealish, or "Jack" as they call him, and Lineker "you've got to be talking about the footballer of the year", is positively vomit-inducing.

I mean, its between him, KDB and Kane

Hate the man...but he's been phenomenal this year
  • edited January 2021
    Undoubtedly a brilliant technical player. For me, not as good as the hype would make you think he is.
  • I’m with lukerz on this one and seemingly a horrible person with it too
  • IMO he is having a Payet-esque season. Almost every time he has the ball he looks dangerous, and almost every time Villa look dangerous it’s because he has had the ball.
  • alderz said:

I don’t like Grealish particularly, but I find it really hard to understand anyone thinking he hasn’t been brilliant all season

Yes, a lot of his dives and blatant attempts to get others carded have been brilliant. Such a shame he isn't recognised for the dirty cheat that he really is.
  • If Grealish didn't play act, dive around etc. he would be so much more liked. He is a classy technician, but lacks class in his demeanour.
  • alderz said:

I don’t like Grealish particularly, but I find it really hard to understand anyone thinking he hasn’t been brilliant all season

Yes, a lot of his dives and blatant attempts to get others carded have been brilliant. Such a shame he isn't recognised for the dirty cheat that he really is.
    Listen, you don’t need to convince me that he’s an unpleasant player, I did say “I don’t like him” in my post that you’re quoting. But if you can’t see the fact that he’s been one of the top handful of players this season idk what to say.

Maradona was dirty, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good player. Keane was horrible, but a brilliant player. I’m sure there are countless others. When I say Grealish is quality, I am not also saying “and what a nice honest boy he is”.
  • I would rather a humble Soucek than a classless Grealish
  • He's so unlikeable that I don't even watch him, to be honest. Which seems like it's a shame.

A bit like Zaha, too. I just avoid Villa and Palace games and highlights because I dislike them both so much.
  • edited January 2021
    He's a very good player having a very good year. Would he improve playing for one of the "big six" Surrounded by better players? Possibly would. Or is he shining being a big fish in a small pond
  • Got to agree with yo-yo on this - good player in very average side. Horrible player with a horrible manager. Used to quite like them, but cannot watch Villa this year.
  • The key debate though is whether any player in any side has actually been better than him this season? I kind of see champo’s point about Kane, but you’d be pushed to find many

I actually think Fernandes carries Man Utd a huge amount. Where they’d be without him, who knows
  • So according to the BBC stats Burnley haven't had a shot on target. In fact they haven't had a shot at all.

Anti football or what?
  • Yet they managed to beat Liverpool away 😂😂