Crystal Palace (A) - 6pm, 26th January

Comments

• Antonio’s first against the post would have been his first West Ham goal from outside the box
  • edited January 2021

Antonio’s first against the post would have been his first West Ham goal from outside the box

He really should have scored last night. I know sometimes it goes like that for a striker, but with four really good chances you'd expect at least one to go in.

And ultimately that's the problem with Antonio; he's not a natural striker. I'm not for one minute digging him out because he is exceptional at what he does in terms of the pace, strength and energy he brings to the team, but you just feel that with a bit more composure he could be even better.
  • OCS

I actually think only the first one would have been helped by more composure. All of the others were instinctive, and usually they come off him into the net. The first one he has to think about what to do with it, and that’s where the likes of Chicarito would have the upper hand, IMO.
  • The second against the post was very similar to Soucek’s v Everton - diverting a wayward Cress shot
  • alderz said:

OCS

I actually think only the first one would have been helped by more composure. All of the others were instinctive, and usually they come off him into the net. The first one he has to think about what to do with it, and that’s where the likes of Chicarito would have the upper hand, IMO.

Yeah, I may be being a bit unfair, but as baracks says, Soucek had a similar one against Everton and it came off his instep nicely and into the net. Antonio had two last night and both seems to come off the inside of his heel rather than the instep, almost like he couldn't get his feet sorted in time. Maybe just luck that Soucek's went in, but we've all seen how Antonio sometimes struggles to get his feet to do what he wants them to do.

Like I say, I don't mean to criticise because he's a huge player for us, but a top class striker buries at least one of those chances last night.
  • Antonio was a bit unlucky to be fair. The Cresswell flick shot should not have made it to him. I cannot believe Fornals did not take that on, either with a touch to open up the angle or a shot first time. He then left it for Cresswell, who should have done much better than scuff his shot that badly. It ended up with Antonio being instinctive. The same for the flick in the second half. Either of those could have easily been scored on another day.

The first chance you could let him off because it was his first of the game, he did everything right, it hit the inside of the post. That can happen. He should definitely have scored one goal.

The one chance he HAS to score is the second half tap in from Benrahma. That cannot be saved. He has to bury that from that close.
  • Lukerz said:

The one chance he HAS to score is the second half tap in from Benrahma. That cannot be saved. He has to bury that from that close.

Yeah, that was the one. Benrahma's little shimmy to change the defender's balance was brilliant; subtle, but brilliant.

He would have really deserved that assist.
  • Tell you what, Coufal's little drag-back nutmeg in the build up to the corner that Dawson scored from was class too.
  • edited January 2021

Like I say, I don't mean to criticise because he's a huge player for us, but a top class striker buries at least one of those chances last night.

I think you're being a bit harsh. A top class striker would have - that's partly why we'd say they were a top class striker. But many a good striker ( natural striker, if you like) who's always played as a striker could miss them.
  • The two shots that were fired AT him i have no problems with

The Benrahma one he needed to bury, but he was immense last night, strong, powerful, broke the lines, ran beyond the defenders, worked the channels

Fantastic centre forward play, but it was just "one of those days"
  • Hamstew said:

So I've been on the palace forums because I'm a twisted saddo that enjoys collecting their tears of sadness. Turns out that late goal they scored has annoyed them even more as in their view it has hidden a terrible result for Roy and his potential future sacking 🤣. Happy days.

And it cost me £2.50 @ 28/1 for a 3-1 victory

I hate Palace even more than Hamstew does
  • Tell you what, Coufal's little drag-back nutmeg in the build up to the corner that Dawson scored from was class too.

Thanks Twitter

• That’ll make the SoccerAM showreel
  • I think we defended well too. Two goals makes it look like we were a bit sloppy but I thought Zaha’s goal was just a great finish & Batshuayi literally scored as the clock ticked over 6 minutes added on. Although, as good as he’s been, there were shades of the Cresswell of the last two years there. Very weak marking.
  • He probably thought if I touch him it’s a certain penalty.
  • I like the way Moyes says he’s not promising anything but we’ve only just scratched the surface of what we are capable of.
  • The one thing that spoiled the game for me was the droning of Karen Carney on BT sport comms.

The one thing that spoiled the game for me was the droning of Karen Carney on BT sport comms.

The one thing that spoiled the game for me was the droning of Karen Carney on BT sport comms.

This, this and this.
  • I might be alone in this but I’d take Karen Carney over Glenn Hoddle or Steve McManaman any day
  • Her delivery is a bit boring but she’s not the worst.
  • I don't mind her. I find her a bit too much 'Tony Gale', though.

There was one moment where she said "you can't give Zaha any space, even a tiny amount", which is basically impossible.
  • I think Roy got his formation wrong, personally, maybe not quite showing us the respect our form deserved? I think playing, basically, a 4-2-4 - with Eze, Townsend, Zaha and Benteke all in the side - it really did allow us to completely dominate the middle of the park.
  • Re Antonio, what I liked was his reaction to the last instinctive shot/reaction that went wide, you could see his frustration and what it meant to him, he knows he should have scored at least a couple, but he also showed he cares.
  • Lukerz said:

I think Roy got his formation wrong,

The first thought that sprang to mind when starting to read this post, was Barry Davies when commentating on the eng v Germany hockey final of the 1988 olympics... 😂😂
  • I didn't see the match, I'm doing my part by avoiding watching any games, as it seems that normally as soon as I tune in we concede and this was proven again when I checked the BBC at what was the 96th minute..

My point was, was there really 7 minutes of time added on at the end, as in was that what was advised?
  • I think 6 minutes was on the board due to about 5 subs being made and a delay when Kayoute and Cahill banged heads
  • Maybe the banging of heads was Hodgson’s idea for them to sort out their defending. They were getting shredded.
  • When he gave his potato salad interview my girlfriend said “he’s adorable” and I agree
  • So Soucek is adorable but poor old Ole is a ring adoring Golam.
  • So Soucek is adorable but poor old Ole is a ring adoring Golam.

I just pass on her opinions I don’t (EVER) question them