Crystal Palace (A) - 6pm, 26th January

Comments

• Moyes nailed on for Manager of the Month, surely.

Also, how good were our goals tonight. They won't get talked about much, but the Fornals pass for the first, Soucek's touch and finich for the second and Dawson's desire and power for the third. So good to see.
  • edited January 2021

IronHerb said:

alderz said:

This has been one of Fornals best games for us IMO. He’s been brilliant, going forward and working back.

He is a box to box player who is always available. He would of been my MOTM but Soucek just nicks it with his two goals and general good play.
    Imagine if Fornals had pace. Would be so much more effective.
    Disagree. If he had pace he still be playing in La Liga, at the top.
  • Moyes nailed on for Manager of the Month, surely.

Also, how good were our goals tonight. They won't get talked about much, but the Fornals pass for the first, Soucek's touch and finich for the second and Dawson's desire and power for the third. So good to see.

Ironically, it will be reported as two more set-play goals, but the reality is we carved open so many open-play chances that were all easier to finish than the ones we scored.
  • Lukerz said:

That is why we need a couple of signings. Noble, Yarmo & Fredericks only really made the last 15 mins become a damage limitation job, because that’s all Moyes had available to him. Had he left the same 11 on, I think we’d have finished that 1-4 instead of 2-3. Irons.

I don't know why Benrahama was taken off. He looked less tired than Fornals.
  • We’ve not done it at the start of a calendar year ever apparently

Apparently we broke our record in our last game so this was just extending the record further.
  • Has anyone seen when the last time we won 6 in a row was?

You betcha
    alderz said:

Just had a quick look at our best consecutive win sequences in recent times (spreadsheet goes back to 1994). If we manage a victory tonight the Moyes' name goes up in lights among other legends like Sam Allardyce and Alan Pardew

In 1999-00 we won FIVE games in a row (Leicester, FC Metz (Intertoto Cup), Bradford, Watford, Osijek (UEFA Cup)). Then we lost 1-0 to Everton via a Francis Jeffers goal.

In 2011-12 / 2012-13 we won SIX in a row under Sam, but 5 of those were in the Championship (Leicester, Hull, Cardiff, Cardiff, Blackpool, Aston Villa), and then we got bashed 3-0 by Swansea (Rangel, Michu & Danny Graham!)

And our best recent sequence was in 2005/06 under Pardew when we won SEVEN on the spin (Norwich (FA Cup), Aston Villa, Fulham, Blackburn (FA Cup), Arsenal, Sunderland, Birmingham). Then we got absolutely spanked 4-1 by Bolton (Teddy scored for us, Giannakopoulos (2), Speed & Pedersen for them).

• Thought Benrahma was very good tonight. He drove us forward nearly every time he had the ball, and he won it or forced errors on numerous occasions.

It's unusual to describe a forward player as doing a lot of work that goes unnoticed (something often said about more defensive or "holding" midfield players), and maybe unnoticed isn't quite right, perhaps unrecorded in stats such as goals or assists is more appropriate. He's undoubtedly got those to add, but already he adds a lot to the team imo, in terms of the directness of his play when we have the ball, and the pressure he applies when we haven't,

The more I see of this guy, the more I like what I see.
  • I knew you’d know Ald 🤣 thank you
  • His bit of ability for the Antonio chance, will get forgotten about as Antonio didn't bury it.

But that should have been a sublime assist. He worked so hard tonight and I felt the whole side pressed for the majority of the game really well.
  • We have just got to stick away one or two of the gilt edged chances that we create. They will come back to bite us, especially against the other top teams around us in the table.

I agree with Lukerz that we looked the part tonight but bear in mind Palace are a poor team.

Bring on Liverpool. We were somewhat unfortunate in the first game this season but we are now playing well enough to put them to the sword.

COYI
  • Did anyone notice the fantastic tackle by Dawson on Eze late in 2nd half. Absolute class. Beginning to really like Dawson.
  • There were a few disgruntled comments about Dawson joining us. I've never shown an interest in Watford so couldn't comment as I knew nothing about him. It was said he was derided by some of his own fans on their chat site. What did they see which we obviously don't? So far the guys attitude and performance has been top notch. Long may it continue
  • I think Dawson needed the team structure to play to his strengths and to fit into, he seems to have found it with us. I wondered why we got him, seems like we found another gem in the rough.
  • Dawson played for England U21 under Stuart Pearce. Maybe that was the link bringing him in.
  • edited January 2021

I know this looks like my professional handy work but I got this off twitterz
  • You know what to do Ham...
  • edited January 2021
    Lukerz said:

You know what to do Ham...

• Watched the end again and can’t help thinking that if we hadn’t wasted time with a throw in where two players looked as if they’d take it but dropped it for someone else the ref whistled to get a move on and I’m sure he added a few extra seconds. Enough for them to score.
  • yoyo said:

There were a few disgruntled comments about Dawson joining us. I've never shown an interest in Watford so couldn't comment as I knew nothing about him. It was said he was derided by some of his own fans on their chat site. What did they see which we obviously don't? So far the guys attitude and performance has been top notch. Long may it continue

I was one but I agree he’s come in for balbuena and fitted into us quite easily, the odd lapse in concentration but a 7/10 most games and that’s more than good enough
  • I wonder which players have the longest unbeaten run for us from their debut? Dawson now has 6 wins and a draw I think?
  • So I've been on the palace forums because I'm a twisted saddo that enjoys collecting their tears of sadness. Turns out that late goal they scored has annoyed them even more as in their view it has hidden a terrible result for Roy and his potential future sacking 🤣. Happy days.
  • Reflecting on that match I can't believe how good we looked at times, we looked confident on the ball and made so may chances that we could have had 6 quite easily.

Benrahma MOM for me
    We are worried about losing Rice but it's becoming very clear people will be calling for Soucek soon also.
    Dawson really is channelling Ginge
    Although he didn't convert this evening Antonio is getting into positions and causing trouble, he will run riot one day soon.

Zaha looked ridiculous with those baubles on his head.
  • edited January 2021
    The one thing that spoiled the game for me was the droning of Karen Carney on BT sport comms.
  • Getting praised on MOTD - when did that last happen??
  • Just saw Roy Hodgson’s interview, and he was glowing with praise for us. Fair play to him
  • 4th !!! Yes, 4th !!! Unbelievable. 4th !!! My son's a Liverpool fan so it's great to show him we are 4th !!! Don't want to sleep in case I wake up and we are no longer 4th !!! Can you believe it ? 4th !!!
    Did I mention yet that we are 4th !!! ?
    4th !!!
  • Just watched the game, great result and very flattering to CP, did we have a gentleman’s agreement in place ensuring that Koyoute played?
  • I had the strangest dream last night, I dreamt we were 4th in the table.
  • Getting praised on MOTD - when did that last happen??

Just watched it now. So much love.

This all feels very weird.