Doncaster (H) - FA Cup - 3pm, 23rd January

Comments

• Best bit of not just the match but the whole day was seeing the smile on the young lad’s face when he scored.
    He had a smile as wide as the Blackwall tunnel.
    Magic stuff.
  • edited January 2021
    I imagined a thought bubble from Benrhama as he looked skywards after Afolayan's goal (something along the lines of for goodness sake he's only been on the pitch a few minutes !)
  • Benrahma seemed much better with his decision making. Created well throughout the game.
  • After the result, the best thing for me was the confidence shown by the team. It showed that our second string can perform, and want to put in the effort. At the same time they will believe they have played themselves into the manager’s thoughts, which often makes for a happier bench who believe they may have a chance, and that nobody is an automatic pick (although some probably are!).
  • MOTM for me Jorderz for starting the thread
  • Was he the unknown player?
  • MOTM for me Jorderz for starting the thread

If he keeps this up (ie unbeaten to the end of the season) he'll be HOTY without a doubt
  • I doubt if Baptiste or Afolayan will feature, both played for the U23s yesterday

Cough. ;)
  • Cough. ;)

Is that a dry persistent cough, Bubbles? Better get it checked out

I must admit I was surprised to see the kids got a run out, Afolayan played an hour and Baptiste a full 90 mins yesterday but then they're young, when I was their age I'd be out partying all weekend (admittedly with chemical assistance)

Delighted with the result even if the difference in quality was painfully obvious from the first half. Credit to Darren Moore and Donny for trying to play football, not just hoofing the ball up the field and not trying to kick us off the pitch.
  • That lad they have on loan from Brighton looked a really decent player when he came on, Taylor Richards. He seemed a cut above. Their right back was decent too
  • He reminded me a bit of Renato Sanches when he was playing for Portugal at the Euros. Looks like he'll be a useful player for Brighton next season, especially if they get relegated.
  • Slacker said:

Best bit of not just the match but the whole day was seeing the smile on the young lad’s face when he scored.
    He had a smile as wide as the Blackwall tunnel.
    Magic stuff.

Johnson’s smile was almost as big as he went over to congratulate Afolayan. Obviously a genuine friendship there.
  • It’s awesome that we finished the game with 5 academy graduates on the pitch
  • Apparently this is the first time in our history that we’ve won our first 5 games in a calendar year. The club, the manager, Jordan, and the players all deserve a massive pat on the back
  • I’d agree but we’d expect to beat Stockport and Doncaster surely
  • I know the focus should be on Baptiste's debut, but just have a look at the state of the lettering. As awful as the font is, they could have at least got the letters applied properly. Just looks so amateurish. Can't believe this is an Umbro thing; something else the club as done on the cheap.

• Cuz1 said:

I’d agree but we’d expect to beat Stockport and Doncaster surely

The third round is always in the first 3 games though, so if it was that easy we’d have done it before
  • Shirt number 75 ! what are we paying American football now? Back in my Day 1-11 no names on shirts and if a new lad was playing you would have to look in the programme to see who it was.
  • edited January 2021

Shirt number 75 ! what are we paying American football now? Back in my Day 1-11 no names on shirts and if a new lad was playing you would have to look in the programme to see who it was.

Jumpers for goalposts

Bagpuss, isn't it?

Ooo mum, Alphabetti Spaghetti for tea?

I would have made the Donny keeper MotM if he hadn't conceded a goal from a Mark Noble corner. I'm struggling to remember if that ever happened before

Also Darren Moore, gracious bloke.
  • alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

I’d agree but we’d expect to beat Stockport and Doncaster surely

The third round is always in the first 3 games though, so if it was that easy we’d have done it before
    Well given that the squad is so small moyes as had to play his better players where as others have used academy plus second string ie Sam against forest to protect first team against Man City that didn’t work and be interesting to see the opposition in previous runs after Xmas
  • I know the focus should be on Baptiste's debut, but just have a look at the state of the lettering. As awful as the font is, they could have at least got the letters applied properly. Just looks so amateurish. Can't believe this is an Umbro thing; something else the club as done on the cheap.

And the numbers are so BIG, they cover most of the shirt.
  • We've gone out to Wigan and Wimbledon in the 4th Round in the last few years. Pretty strong team v the Dons and a mixed bag against Wigan.
  • alderz said:

It’s awesome that we finished the game with 5 academy graduates on the pitch

Being picky, Unknownerz is not really an Academy graduate in the way noble, trott, baptiste and Johnson are?

• Did you check out the premier league opposition as well IronHerb just to compare ?
  • alderz said:

Apparently this is the first time in our history that we’ve won our first 5 games in a calendar year.

I remember reading before the game that we had been unbeaten for the first time since 1958 in the first 4 games of the new year. One of the teams we beat (in the cup) that year was Stockport and later that season we beat Doncaster in the league.

If I remember correctly we went on to lose obly another 3 matches in the league that season and finished top of Division 2. If we only lose another 3 games between now and the end of the season we should be within a shout, too.
  • 2019-20
    Bournemouth-H-4-0
    Gillingham- A-2-0
    Sheffield United-A-0-1
    Everton-H-1-1
    Leicester-A-1-4

2018-19
    Brighton-H-2-2
    Birmingham-H-2-0
    Arsenal-H-1-0
    Bournemouth-A-0-2
    AFC Wimbledon-A-2-4

2017-18
    WBA-H-2-1
    Tottenham-A-1-1
    Shrewsbury-A-0-0
    Huddersfield-A-4-1
    ShrewsburyH-1-0

2016-17
    Man Utd-H-0-2
    Man City-H-0-5
    Crystal Palace-H-3-0
    Middlesbrough-A-3-1
    Man City-H-0-4
  • edited January 2021
    What Moyes deserves massive credit for is the attitude he has installed in this squad. We saw it against Charlton & Hull in the League Cup. Many a time we have put out a strong second string for the cup & still been awful due to the attitude (Oxford away, Wimbledon). Those players played the game like it was a league game.
  • And because he had no choice really
  • What he had no choice to improve the mentality and attitude?
  • It must have been a very good day yesterday as the only thing people can find to complain about is the lettering on a shirt. A near perfect day, a 4-0 win, another clean sheet, squad player get a good game, key players rested, no apparent injuries, young players get involved and score and we played some very nice football. A very satisfying day.