Leeds V Westham 8pm Friday 11th December

Comments

• Guess Moyes does win games .......Happy weekend ahead
  • Good win, that. Didn't watch the game, but it sounds like we created enough chances to win two games.

Shame to read that Haller struggled again. I really want him to do well, but I'm not convinced he'll make it at West Ham. Definitely need an alternative in the January window.

I really want us to capitalise on this start. I've been very surprised by how well we've done considering who we've played, and to be 5th with a 50% win rate is a real credit to Moyes and the players. I just hope the board can find a couple of deals next month to boost the squad and give us a chance of maintaining our current form.
  • For me Benrahma has a bit of the wow factor to him. There’s hope something might happen when he’s on the ⚽️
  • Come along Wombat, get the next match thread underway for the HamStew derby =)
  • edited December 2020
    That was a brilliant victory.

I was worried about this game, as I know Leeds are a bit of a whirlwind side. Lots of running & tempo, bit chaotic but can cause you plenty of problems. Historically, when a West Ham side goes away to a side like this, we can’t match those levels & we get blown away, even if the side we play is not really that good in terms of ability.

I was so happy with how we played. When you consider the change in shape was seamless, Cresswell had to cover LB again, Benrahma got a first start in a different position to his sub appearances, Ogbonna & Balbuena going back to a two. We were outstanding.

Two ‘gonna bug me for a few days’ I took from this. Firstly, the penalty. Why the hell does a keeper get punished for gaining basically a cm or two off his line? How much more of an advantage does the striker want when shooting from 9-12 yards under no pressure? I get it’s the rule, but it’s a rule change since VAR, again highlighting the issues that is causing. Just completely stupid. Unless he has launched himself off the line by 2/3 metres, I don’t see a problem. Also, surely it needs to be before the contact is made with the ball, for there to be an advantage? Yesterday they froze it as the guy struck the ball. That is surely not an advantage? It’s like setting off for a race as the whistle goes? Surely it’s only worth considering if he moves ahead of the ball being struck? Stupid.

Secondly, Haller. This guy needs to start sorting this out. He cost us the first goal, is slow, lacks strength, doesn’t hold it up & isn’t clinical. It’s annoying as he gets in good positions sometimes, clearly has ability & shows some nice bits of play where he lays the ball off or flicks it round the corner. But his passing & all round hold up play was really poor yesterday. Only to be excused if he got a goal or two.
  • Come along Wombat, get the next match thread underway for the HamStew derby =)

Yeah quit clowning around and get on with it 🤡
  • What on Earth is going on with West Ham?

We are deep deep into the game, holding a slender lead away from home, and our two most advanced players are our CENTRE HALVES, one of whom is crossing for the other to head against the post!
  • edited December 2020
    15 points clear (if you include GD) of the relegation places after 12 games!

We weren’t that far clear at this stage in the Bilic season, although we had one extra point.
  • For the first time in awhile I go into games knowing West Ham will at least match the effort of the other team everyone puts the hard yards in and if they don,t they are not in the team. If the team put the effort in I can handle the result not going our way (Man Utd) . I think we play decent football and I am enjoying watching them a lot more than I though I would under Moyes.
  • What on Earth is going on with West Ham?

We are deep deep into the game, holding a slender lead away from home, and our two most advanced players are our CENTRE HALVES, one of whom is crossing for the other to head against the post!

That is certainly not the West Ham Way we all love. 😉
  • Most seasons if we are on 20 points come Christmas we are beginning to get worried because the season is normally at least half over. This season we are on 20 with about 7 games spare.
  • Sam Inkersole says that Issa Diop was not selected for the game yesterday, but was not injured & was at the ground.

Given he has been the CB of choice on the bench for the last ‘x’ amount of games, possibly a falling out?
  • He may not be injured but don’t forget he’s had COVID so maybe he’s still not 100%.
  • edited December 2020

“I am really angry with it but I’m not going to allow West Ham to be pushed around. I’m not going to allow a decision when the ball is two yards over the line and a penalty kick when the goalkeeper’s heel is on the line and it to be a case of ‘It’s OK. It’s West Ham. We’ll just give them that sort of treatment'.

whufc.com
  • Lukerz said:

“I am really angry with it but I’m not going to allow West Ham to be pushed around. I’m not going to allow a decision when the ball is two yards over the line and a penalty kick when the goalkeeper’s heel is on the line and it to be a case of ‘It’s OK. It’s West Ham. We’ll just give them that sort of treatment'.

whufc.com
    Then he followed it up with “it’s about winning football matches, that’s what I do”😂😂😂
  • I think Moyes must be suffering from Vertigo.
  • Why? He spent ten years in 5th/6th place with Everton.

I think he’s feeling much more at home than he was in the bottom half.
  • Thought is Dawson was preferred to Diop so he felt “important”. That important that there is a story he could be leaving in January!
  • What story? Where?
  • That Dawson article - pure speculation. They don't even pretend to have any inside knowledge.
  • I get more and more impressed every time i see Coufal play for us ,What a great signing for us
  • Can't believe how good Cresswell has been this season
  • edited December 2020
    Great to see how confident all the players are on the ball now, playing the ball out of defence when needed to. What a change from 2 years ago. And great to see how seamlessly we changed formation but still bossed the game. People predicted we would just sit in and counter attack but in the second half in particular we played good attacking football, matching them toe to toe, not just hitting on the break.
    Like others I was far from keen on the Moyesiah returning (not sure about the wisdom of admitting to one Messiah, let alone two) but so far he has forced a lot of us to indigestion with all the humble pie we are consuming.
    Just noticed the player ratings on BBC match report - Haller is below Snodgrass, who came on for 40 seconds and touched the ball once. This is cruel. Haller may well not be a standard burly, bullying Premier league centre forward - he is more of the European striker, skilful and a bit lazy, and this can be frustrating for us when his hold up play and distribution is not good. But he can find space and was a bit unlucky yesterday. His overhead kick deserved a goal and was denied by a brilliant save.
    Let's give him a bit of slack. He will come good, in his own way, and may be a better long term solution upfront than Antonio who is getting on a bit and is so injury prone.
  • I prefer a smaller happier squad though
  • Is it time to accept that selling Diangana to buy Benrahma wasn't so bad after all.

I think the performance showed more than anything that if all we had was the Dianghana money we needed spend it on a striker. We look seriously good and for me Rice could play at any team in Europe, he is that good, but we simply haven't got a striker beyond Antonio. We need one.
  • Josh King would be a good shout for me
  • Hamstew said:

Josh King would be a good shout for me

Thought that you'd go for Zaha Hamstew =)
  • Regarding Haller he is not competitive enough for me. Bowen and most others look tenacious under Moyes but Haller just looks like he is hoping for the best but not fussed about making something happen! What is it with his jumping? he is big and strong but barely leaves the ground, always jumping to late or without intent, it's like his boots are really heavy throughout the whole game.
  • He should start skipping. It really helped me jump high enough to match someone far taller than me at a corner yesterday...to score an own goal.