Leeds V Westham 8pm Friday 11th December

14567810»

Comments

• Hamstew said:
    Josh King would be a good shout for me

He has hardly played this season and will be unfit physically and tactically and will take a few weeks to get going at WHU. I think his time has gone and Moyes will look elsewhere.
  • edited December 2020

He should start skipping. It really helped me jump high enough to match someone far taller than me at a corner yesterday...to score an own goal.

🎼 Are you Dowie in disguise, are you Dowie in disguise? 🎼
  • He should start skipping. It really helped me jump high enough to match someone far taller than me at a corner yesterday...to score an own goal.

At least you got onto the scoresheet =)
  • The alternative commentary is amazing this week. Refers to Philips as the top Knott Jonjo shelvey haha
  • edited December 2020
    Hamster, can you provide a link please, I've forgotten where they are and a quick search failed.

No problem, now found https://twitter.com/westhamclips?ref_url=https://www.whu606.com/discussion/11257/aston-villa-h-30-11-match-thread/p14
  • Just watched it. Hugely amusing if you are ok with colourful language. Which I am. 🥳
  • I don't know if it's already been mentioned but the Leeds penalty would have been retaken even if Fab had stayed on his line and saved it as Rice had encroached by about a metre before the ball was kicked.
  • No it wouldn't. You have to be involved with the rebound to be penalised in that situation.
  • Herb, I bow to your greater knowledge of the rules. ;)
  • I saw Dec do it against Man City last season -

'There was time for Fabianksi to save a weak 83rd-minute penalty from Sergio Agüero, on as a sub, before VAR ordered a successful retake for encroachment by Declan Rice'

Dec headed the save out for a corner but had encroached.
  • mildly amused when Benrhama hit a decent shot into the 'Said' netting =)
  • IronHerb said:

No it wouldn't. You have to be involved with the rebound to be penalised in that situation.

Herb, this would seem to be at odds with what you say, or am I misunderstanding it?

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick
  • Ogbonna makes Crook's Team of the Week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55288499

I know his views don’t count for much, but he does comment that

“I can't for the life of me understand how VAR could determine that Lukasz Fabianski's heels were off the line when he saved Mateusz Klich's penalty, when all the replays suggested that they were not. If the officials are going to be that pedantic, can we have the same on foul throws please?”

Finally he agrees with us!

• I've seen text commentary / write ups / actual MOTD commentator saying it was a good decision because he was off his line, and that's one of the clear cut things about VAR, and I just absolutely 100% disagree. I've seen the footage, I've seen still images, and nothing is going to convince me he was off his line. If he was (and it's a big if, tbh) then it is by millimeters.

I can't for the life of me believe that this is what technology was brought in for. I've been a supporter of VAR, because I believe that we have a fairer game than we did before (not by a lot, but a bit), but this season it's been awful. The offside decisions, the keeper on their line, the encroachment, the handballs, all of these are things that VAR should be removing the argument on, but it's made it worse this year. It's also just highlighting refereeing inconsistencies and bias - what's the point in making the ref walk to the monitor for a penalty decision? I remember one plus point for VAR was meant to be that refs wouldn't be bullied by players or managers before / after decisions. Well, if they now trot over to watch it again, how is that helping? It's just meaning that Liverpool don't get penalties awarded against them!

I really feel there needs to be a review into its responsibilities. In my opinion, the VAR should have a time limit to make decisions. If 30 seconds pass, you go with the ref. After 30 seconds, they should tell the ref what the decision should be, or I guess send them to the monitor (but as I've said there are problems with the monitor use anyway).
  • alderz said:

I've seen text commentary / write ups / actual MOTD commentator saying it was a good decision because he was off his line, and that's one of the clear cut things about VAR, and I just absolutely 100% disagree. I've seen the footage, I've seen still images, and nothing is going to convince me he was off his line. If he was (and it's a big if, tbh) then it is by millimeters.

Your last sentence undermines you're first.

He was 2mm of his line hence the retake.
  • IronHerb said:

No it wouldn't. You have to be involved with the rebound to be penalised in that situation.

Herb, this would seem to be at odds with what you say, or am I misunderstanding it?

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick

I know, but referees get it wrong a lot of the time and so the laws become irrelevant.
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

I've seen text commentary / write ups / actual MOTD commentator saying it was a good decision because he was off his line, and that's one of the clear cut things about VAR, and I just absolutely 100% disagree. I've seen the footage, I've seen still images, and nothing is going to convince me he was off his line. If he was (and it's a big if, tbh) then it is by millimeters.

Your last sentence undermines you're first.

He was 2mm of his line hence the retake.
    I don't think it does.

My point was that the commentators and writers appear to be suggesting it was clear.

I don't think it was clear, and everything I have seen is inconclusive.

They say one thing, I don't agree. Not sure how that means I've undermined myself.
  • You didn't use a graph to illustrate your point alderz.
  • I think the shutter speed of the camera is 25 frames per second. I’ve watched the penalty and at the very moment the ball is struck imo it’s not possible to say whether Fabianski’s heel was on the line or off it.
  • We're starting to sound like the Germans.
    "the foot didn't fully cross the line"
    🙈
  • Both games. ;)