West Ham v Wolves. Sunday 27th September 2020. 7.00pm

1234568»

Comments

• IronHerb said:

But being good in a poor team isn't really player of the week material.

While I sort of agree, what about when Scott Parker won player of the year, in a poor team? Is it not perhaps similar?....Just was thinking....

• But Parker, almost, single handedly saved a team from relegation over 38 games.
  • Get ur point .
  • I also want to moan about the Team of the Week, but I have a different moan.

The Team of the Week is ALWAYS published on a Monday, and any games that hadn't been played by then just weren't included. They've waited an extra day just to include Liverpool, as they have literally never done that before.
  • AND

(While I'm annoyed at the BBC I thought I'd add this in)

AND

There's this article about who should be Harry Kane's main competition for England. They've looked at performances in 2020 by English strikers and made a case for each. Tammy "4 league goals in 2020" Abraham is included, but there is no mention of Michail Antonio. I'm not suggesting that he should be replacing Kane at any point, or even be in an England squad, however, the fact that he isn't even been looked at in articles like this is a joke, given that he's got 10 this calendar year so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54317984
  • I read that yesterday Patrick Bamford was on the list which made me laugh.Its like they looked at who had scored a few goals in the last few weeks and gone from there
  • IronHerb said:

But Parker, almost, single handedly saved a team from relegation over 38 games.

You mean just like Roberto singlehandedly almost managed to relegate a team last year?
  • Watching the game again, how unplayable was Antonio? Such a handful when he's fit and buzzing. Everyone played well. We have a good 13-14 players and Moyes must continue to coach the best out of them. Consistency is needed and I still worry that Injuries to just 2 players could scupper any progress.
  • And this is always the issue at West Ham. If we lose Antonio to injury, which is likely at some point this season, we don't have another player that can do what he does, so we'd have to change our tactics. And if we're playing with wing-backs, the same applies to Masuaku; Cresswell is not the same type of player and wouldn't work as a wing-back.

Having a defined system and a proper recruitment strategy allows a club to build a balanced squad; unfortunately we have neither at the moment.

But on a positive note, I agree re Antonio. He was incredible against Wolves.
  • And this is always the issue at West Ham. If we lose Antonio to injury, which is likely at some point this season, we don't have another player that can do what he does, so we'd have to change our tactics. And if we're playing with wing-backs, the same applies to Masuaku; Cresswell is not the same type of player and wouldn't work as a wing-back.

Having a defined system and a proper recruitment strategy allows a club to build a balanced squad; unfortunately we have neither at the moment.

But on a positive note, I agree re Antonio. He was incredible against Wolves.

But the thing is I think this applies to pretty much every club though, having more than 1 striker is hard

The only team I can think of that can cope is City, and even then Jesus is no Aguero

- Liverpool don't have a Firminio replacement
    - Spurs are solely reliant on Kane as a CF
    - Arsenal same for Aubameyang
    - United have no depth past Martial, Rashford and Greenwood
    - how do saints fare without Ings?
    - Or Palace without Zaha?
    - Wolves without Jiminez
    - Leicester without Vardy

If we lose Antonio, we will definitely he weaker

But I think with Haller as our backup we are probably in a nice position up front, and tbf we aren't going to find a player like Antonio as 3rd choice

• The only team I can think of that can cope is City, and even then Jesus is no Aguero

Who are both out injured
  • I reckon Antonio was showing who the boss was between him and Traore. Definitely threw down the gauntlet.
  • I really hope the next transition in football tactics normalises two strikers.
  • Ahh Outcast. 2-3-5 was always the way.

Oh, am I showing my age? :)
  • IronHerb said:

Ahh Outcast. 2-3-5 was always the way.

Oh, am I showing my age? :)

Is that the 19th century football I keep hearing about?