West Ham v Wolves. Sunday 27th September 2020. 7.00pm

My first match thread and our first point(s) of the season
Live on BT Sport

Comments

• Controversial move cut off Aslef’s winning streak...
  • edited September 2020
    alderz said:

Controversial move cut off Aslef’s winning streak...

Cup and league have been separate in the past, and sometimes together. Mmmmmm
  • Well that was a disappointment...
  • I am fearing that Wolves will lodge an appeal to the Premier league about Moyes not being available in the dugout, stating that this gives us an unfair advantage.
  • Even our threads are controversial. West Ham that.
  • A lot of questions for how we will line up

Balbuena comes in for Diop you'd assume, but do we keep a back 3?

Bowen and Antonio are first names on the sheet, so do we bring in one of Haller, Lanzini, Yarmolenko or Anderson for Fornals who arguably could be key given they will likely play 2 of Traore, Podence and Semedo down our left

Johnson or Fredericks on the right?
    Does Noble or Snodgrass return and shore up the midfield alongside Rice/Soucek

Fab
    Balbeuna Ogbonna Cresswell
    Fredericks Rice Soucek Masuaku
    Bowen Haller Antonio

I'd like that, but I'd be wary about containing Traore/Podence

We matched Arsenals formation and did well, so we should do the same here
  • Agree with your team.

Masuaku is definitely the right player to be on the left in this game. He might not be the best defender but he's still better at defending than the wide players and I've always thought he's good when going with his runner. His issue is switching off at crosses. If we play Antonio out wide, the two of them become threats that might give us something to counter their pace.

Haller seriously has to play. Get Antonio and Bowen near to him when he holds it up.
  • There are differing reports of how much contact the 3 who tested positive had with the rest of the squad. From what I can see, the tests were taken on Tuesday, so there's a chance there was contact after the tests. Also, although it's claimed everyone was socially distanced on the way to the stadium, and that they found out immediately and were then isolated, it also says that they'd been at the stadium for 2 hours before the results came through, so it's highly unlikely imo that no-one came within 2m of the infected 3 during that time.

How many players do you have to have unavailable to be able to postpone a game? It's definitely plausible that we'll lose a few more players, although admittedly most of those who played yesterday haven't been starting in the Prem so far (Diop being the obvious exception).
  • Well that was a disappointment...

Start the cup one now.
  • A thousand apologies Aslef especially as you are not working for this one - I did not understand the etiquette and was just trying to be helpful.
  • edited September 2020
    I agree that a back 3/5 works for us, and helps us to match them up, but Wolves play with 3 in the middle and 2 up top. I have fears of us playing a 3-4-3 and having Soucek and Rice overrun by their three midfielders. Yes, in theory this helps us to give their defenders something to think about, but I have seen us lose a lot of games in the midfield in the past few years and am wary.

I am torn between: 3-4-3 Fab; Balbuena Oggy Cresswell; Fredericks Rice Soucek Masuaku; Bowen Haller Antonio, and 3-5-2 Fab; Balbuena Oggy Cresswell; Fredericks Rice Soucek Fornals Masuaku; Haller Antonio

But tbh I expect it to be the same XI as against Arsenal, with Balbuena in for Diop
  • edited September 2020
    It could be a 3-5-2 as well. Haller and Antonio up front, then we can have three players central. The problem is where Bowen fits into that. Though he might do well in a central three if he was on the left side of it with the most license to get forward.

Other option is just have Masuaku as a winger in a back 4.
  • I do think we need to start getting Haller, Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmo back into the team and back into form.

I'd definitely keep Masuaku in and Noble out, too.

Might not be an overly popular opinion but I'm not sure Bowen is doing enough at the moment to warrant being an automatic starter.
  • Good point about Bowen. I think he is still contributing well in an attacking sense, even if it's not assists or goals for himself. But those cup performances mean a few others are starting to push him for his place. His defensive work is probably what we'd miss though. Not sure he loses his runner like Yarmolenko did.
  • I really like Bowen, but I don't think anyone should be guaranteed as a starter. He's not done much in these last two games, whereas Yarmolenko has played really well. I want to see Haller, Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko come in as rotational options. I want to see a mixture, I want to see early subs. We seem to be one of very few clubs who treat it like an A and B team with very little mixing
  • Moyes seems scared to change anything. Relies on set players who are doing enough and doesn't shake it up much, whether in starting line-ups or in the game. Then something goes wrong and suddenly he starts switching things out.
  • Moyes seems scared to change anything. Relies on set players who are doing enough and doesn't shake it up much, whether in starting line-ups or in the game. Then something goes wrong and suddenly he starts switching things out.

In his defence, the team that started against Newcastle was pretty much the team that won us all those games after lockdown
  • The substitutions after 80 minutes are driving me mad. I'd get it if the team were playing outstanding and/or the bench were full of kids. But we've got goals and assists all over the bench.
  • Fabianski
    Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Soucek - Rice - Masuaku
    Bowen - Haller - Antonio
  • For me, Yarmo has to start. He is fit and playing well.
  • Trying to be positive......

Looking at Lukerz team, there are probably only four or five of this side that would be nailed on starters. For the others, there are a number of replacements who are playing well midweek and could/should be selected.

.........is it working?
  • Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Bowen - Haller - Antonio

The problem is that this back three lacks pace and Wolves forward line is very pacey. Who is going to catch Traore? Might Moyes or his stand-in be more adventurous and consider Alese?
  • Pengeman said:

Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Bowen - Haller - Antonio

The problem is that this back three lacks pace and Wolves forward line is very pacey. Who is going to catch Traore? Might Moyes or his stand-in be more adventurous and consider Alese?
    Doesn’t matter who plays nobody is catching Traore
  • alderz said:

Pengeman said:

Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Bowen - Haller - Antonio

Doesn’t matter who plays nobody is catching Traore
    I dunno, they managed to catch Covid >:)
  • We have lost all four meetings with Wolves since they were promoted for a combined total of 8-0.

Lawro has predicted 1-1, if we managed to score it would be an improvement!
  • Would be a miracle if we got anything from this.
  • I wonder if sully will invest in the proper technology to allow Moyes to WFH effectively on match day, or will it be a case of Alan Irvine standing on the touch line holding up his iphone?
  • He'll be watching it on footybites with a 3 minute delay, finding out about goals through the BBC notifications before he sees them
  • He will probably make his substitutions when the BBC is showing 85 minutes on the clock, not realising that google has the clock as 90+3