Watford on Friday

Comments

• edited July 2020
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Fornals/Noble - Masuaku
    Antonio

Could be worth trying. It looks quite defensive but the pace of Masuaku may be important at both ends & he has never really played LW.

Or, the more adventurous approach:

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Bowen - Soucek - Rice - Fornals
    Antonio - Haller
  • Yeah I really want to see Masuaku play that kind of position. He's the only player other than Antonio who knows how to carry a ball with pace (maybe Bowen as well now).
  • Agreed, Watford will have seen how much time and space Norwich gave Noble so they'll be looking to close him down more.

Regardless I will put my faith in the Moyesiah to lead us to the sunny uplands of 15th place
  • edited July 2020
    They are dangerous.

They’re going to be starting a side like this:

Foster
    Femenia - Kabasele - Dawson - Masina
    Capoue - Hughes
    Sarr - Doucoure - Welbeck
    Deeney

Which is why I think we need pace in the wide areas. That is a strong midfield & that is where this game will be won or lost. Moyes needs to be spot on with his third midfield pick (we know Rice & Soucek will hold their own). Fornals on the left may have worked v Norwich but not not sure it will up against Sarr.
  • Hang on Lukerz. They are below us in the table for a reason.
    They struggled past Norwich and Newcastle and lost to Chelsea in their last three games.
    Not saying they can't improve but world beaters they aren't.
  • edited July 2020
    A point for either side doesn't change much imo, both sides need to win. Bournemouth and Villa still need to win 2 games to overtake us. (assuming City beat Bournemouth and Villa do not beat Everton). Villa are just in a unique position that they have a 6 pointer against us on the final day.
  • Yep, we’ll know if it’s gonna go to the final day come Thursday night. Hopefully Bournemouth lose & Villa don’t win. Then we both know a point is crucial but a win for either side basically seals the deal. A loss would ensure that side is going to go to the final day needing something.
  • Not when we beat Man u =)
  • edited July 2020
    We will beat Watford and we can then all relax :)
  • Relax? Don't do it...
  • On Saturday night I thought we could relax...
  • I'm actually worried now
  • Southampton did is no favours last night. Utd will be well up for it next week as they’re out of the CL places.
  • They would be up for it whatever. Win last night and draw next week would leave them in the same spot.
  • Just seen man u have a game thursday plus the cup game sunday ,That has to be good for us ,
  • Especially if the cup goes to extra time and pens.
  • I think Ole has named the same first XI in his last 5 games (although he mixed it up for Norwich in the cup)

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
    Pogba - Matic - Fernandes
    Greenwood - Rashford - Martial

Wouldn't mind it if he refuses to rotate with all the games stacked up.

I know we aren't really rotating, but we aren't in the cup so are playing less
  • Just need to beat Watford then the utd game wont be so important
  • I think Ole has named the same first XI in his last 5 games (although he mixed it up for Norwich in the cup)

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
    Pogba - Matic - Fernandes
    Greenwood - Rashford - Martial

Wouldn't mind it if he refuses to rotate with all the games stacked up.

I know we aren't really rotating, but we aren't in the cup so are playing less

Shaw was injured in the game last night, and his replacement (kid) went off with a head injury. Not sure who else they've got to play there. Might it force a change in formation?
  • edited July 2020

Southampton did is no favours last night. Utd will be well up for it next week as they’re out of the CL places.

thorn, You could look at it from another angle if Southampton can play that well then hopefully they will be up for it when they play Bournemouth on Sunday.
  • There’s no love lost between Southampton and Bournemouth. I reckon Southampton would love to see them relegated so,I think they will be up for it.
  • Luke Shaw (twisted ankle) and Brandon Williams (head injury) are both "being assessed" and 50% for Thursday's trip to Palace (physioroom.com).

Otherwise they've got Portuguese U21 Diogo Dalot and England U19 Ethan Laird who can play at LB

They did have Marcos Rojo but he went back to Argentina in January, on loan with Estudiantes, and probably isn't coming back
  • Lawro has predicted a 2-1 win for us

Dooooooooomed
  • This is going to be a physical game, we need as strong a team as possible.
  • Hope Everton manage to beat Villa tonight, which will really help us out, but don't
    think it will be that easy, after Chelsea only managed to beat Norwich 1-0, and
    Man City struggling to beat Bournemouth 2-1.
  • Everton and Villa will draw putting them on 31 points with Bournemouth

We will beat Watford putting us on 37 points and safety ;)

Trust me :)
  • edited July 2020
    Villa will fancy their chances but, let’s remember, Everton’s last home defeat was November (19 points in last 9 home games).

People have overreacted to their loss to Wolves, who are one of the best sides outside the top four, to be fair.
  • edited July 2020
    Hope you're right lukerz
  • And we are all guilty of this, cos I did it too on Sunday evening, but it’s funny how one result all of a sudden makes a team so much better. Villa got a good win against Palace (who were on the beach), but they are still not a very good team. All of a sudden we feel that one win means that they’re gonna beat everybody they come up against.
  • edited July 2020
    It just sucks being in this situation. Relying on other teams etc. The good thing is we seem to be in good form also.