Watford on Friday

14567810»

Comments

• Moyes has done well recently. The change of role for Noble has worked well; he has got a more robust defence and we look likely to score going forward. Big test on Wednesday so lets see how we do
  • edited July 2020
    What I really enjoyed, looking back, is how we showcased two sides to us.

The first half side that was clinical & played some great, passing football but also was able to use Antonio in behind, & then the side that was able to show some nerve second half after an early goal & manage the game.
  • I've watched the goals about half a dozen times now, and I tell you what, Soucek's goal gets better each time; the timing of the run, the timing of the jump and to direct the ball into the top bin was incredible.

The cross from Bowen was brilliant, too. And I think with these two supporting Haller, we could finally see the best of him next season.
  • I still feel that Haller needs a nippy little striker around him. He is extremely good with his feet, and less so in the air, IMO, so I hope he isn’t used as a target man. Maybe with Antonio and Bowen running off him, he can be a prolific creator next season
  • Hamstew said:

Listen no one in the team can be knocked. We've been pretty good since lockdown. Fornals is obviously doing good for the team and if it's his work rate that's brilliant. For me he needs to show more in the final third next season as I never really trust him do do anything with the ball. I hope he excels next season.

To be fair, I think he has had more assists than any other West Ham player this season.
  • I'm not surprised. He's probably played more than any of our other attacking midfielders this season. I'd imagine Bowen isn't far behind and has only played a handful of games in comparison.
  • Fornals 6 assists 2010 mins played
    Bowen 4 assists 781 minutes played
    (league, not cups)
  • I like Fornals...I just feel he has more to offer.

Every club needs that player who runs around & sets the tone with his attitude & effort, allowing us to build an intensity.

I just feel he needs to add a bit more, that he is capable of.
  • Based on work rate I would do as DM is doing & pick Fornals over Anderson. Haller will score goals if we can play in a way that gets the best out of him, look at how Eintracht played. Hasn’t he also had family issues with his baby being unwell to contend with? New full backs, CH & CM should improve us for next season.
  • edited July 2020
    Only thing with Haller is he doesn’t look like he ever gets out of 2nd or 3rd gear, so think his influence on the team is always going to be minimal. Always looks a bit like he is going through the motions, which is fine if he is knocking in 12 goals a season.
  • He is French, “c’est la vie”. 24 in 60 at Eintracht & 30 in 65 whilst with Utrecht. I will be content if he continues to show a lack of interest but can score with that ratio with us. 🤞
  • edited July 2020
    So will I.

But Antonio has scored as many goals as he has all season, in the last 7 matches.
  • Lukerz, I have yet to see a striker who can score goals when he is not on the pitch! =)
  • There was a moment when Antonio got the ball and forgot there was a striker up there with him, IMO, Haller needs someone alongside him and it strikes me that whilst Antonio makes a decent fist of being the lone striker, he is less effective/comfortable in playing the strike partner role.

Think it was said elsewhere but how good have Bowen and Soucek been for us, surely the best January signings in recent memory.

• edited July 2020
    Pity we lost Little Pea, him and Haller up front , Bowen and Antonio on the wings...
  • Nobody mentioned young Johnson who had a pretty tidy game at RB. It seems he pace in attack and a reasonable defensive ability and mindset for one so young. Could be an exciting prospect.
  • Bowen and Soucek have made a big difference they have desire and passion. Rice is playing well and the change in role for Noble has worked well . The manager has done well I myself could not see us surviving . Well done Mr Moyes
  • edited July 2020
    Watching that Watford goal back, it was a pretty good goal wasn’t it. I thought we defended it poorly to start with, but I don’t think there was too much anybody could have done there. Ogbonna was a bit flimsy but he would have been mindful of a penalty/red card. Nice flick from Deeney, Welbeck nutmeg on Diop, nice bit of skill past Ogbonna by Doucoure. Don’t think we did much wrong there.
  • You mention Ogbonna being flimsy but the touch by Doucoure, which changed the direction of the ball as he approached, was excellent.
  • Herb - it was, 100%.

I think Ogbonna was slightly lazy, by semi-diving in. Standing him up and forcing him to shoot on his left from a tighter angle would have been the best option.
  • Isn't hindsight lovely?
  • Lukerz said:

Herb - it was, 100%.

I think Ogbonna was slightly lazy, by semi-diving in. Standing him up and forcing him to shoot on his left from a tighter angle would have been the best option.

IMO, Ogbonna was left in a no win situation. Johnson Diop committed himself too much and left space in behind him that Oggy had to cover.

Watford played the situation very well, and there were some lovely touches, but Diop was naive.