Newcastle United v West Ham United - The Andy Carroll Derby

124»

Comments

• I’m not sure it was quick before he came on, but he definitely didn’t add any pace the the game. Soucek and Rice are the best pairing we have by a mile. We definitely need a better attacking midfielder than Lanzini/Fornals though.
  • I think that Fornals might be a star in the making, his pass for the openi ng goal, the work that he done against Chelsea, involved in two goals, Maybe just a smidge unlucky today, but for me a man for the future.
  • edited July 2020

A quote from the BBC thread for the game - Mark Noble puts West Ham into slow motion, everything going forward was quick before he came on, now West Ham can't break at all.

Well, you say 'a quote'. Some bloke on twitter, or texted in, is what it was. Fair enough if you agree with them - but copying their quote here doesn't really give it any validity. It's just an opinion. They also frequently 'quote' folks who don't know the rules of the game. So getting a comment re-posted by the BBC is hardly evidence of a quality opinion!

I hate the way the BBC use 'fan' comments in their match threads. It's click bait, or it's trolling, it's just some bloke's opinion (and, erm remind me again why I should care what they think - any more than I care about the view of the Spurs fan at the pub or the bloke behind me in the bus queue).

The Beeb should at least not quote random folks who clearly don't let ignorance stand in the way of expressing an opinion.

Fume.
  • Mrs G, I don't think I gave any indication that I agreed. All I was just trying to do was bring to this site a comment made by someone that might have not been seen by the contributors on this forum to open up a topic for debate. Is our midfield better without Mark Noble in it "moving forward" IMHO it will probably will be.
  • edited July 2020
    MrsGrey said:

The Beeb should at least not quote random folks who clearly don't let ignorance stand in the way of expressing an opinion.

And then no football fan was ever interviewed again.
  • Lol. Because nobody has thought to raise the topic of whether the MF is better with or without Nobes. ;-)

Be honest, it's been a topic for discussion on here for years!

I'd much rather hear the views of the site members. I don't see the value in bringing in opinions from outsiders to inform the debate. Just my view. If I wanted to know what Joe Bloke thought I'd be reading to their views on Facebook, Twitter and various blogs.
  • Fortune,by calling it a quote from the BBC thread for the game it made it seem like it was by one of the journalists, rather than Billy Random
  • edited July 2020

MrsGrey said:

And then no football fan was ever interviewed again.
    Outcast, I don't mind things that are obviously presented as fan vox pop segments etc. Standing outside s ground, or going into a local pub... what you see is what you get. But the selective quoting of individual comments from Twitter or other forums, with no quality control, no sense of who these commentators are... And putting it in writing I think lends those opinions an unearned legitimacy, especially as it is on ' the BBC'.
  • And, tbh, I'd say the Marky Mark debate is pretty much a permanent one on here
  • Annoying thing is we’ve now lost 24 points from winning positions
  • If we hadn't lost those 24 points we'd be 6th in the league. Chelsea have lost 22 points from winning positions. It's not a stat I particularly care for.
  • Fortune asked:

"Is our midfield better without Mark Noble in it "moving forward"? "

I thought the general consensus was "moving sideways or backwards" :)
  • Bubbles, that is why I put the “ in. 😁
  • edited July 2020
    It was probably one of our better performances in terms of controlling the game. Our defending is just not up to standard, though. Two goals per game since the restart.

I can’t work out if it’s a good point or a missed chance. I suppose we’ll find out by next Sunday. 4-6 points from the next two, & it will be a reasonable point.

Performance was decent, though. We controlled most of the game, looked the more dangerous & were only second best between going 0-1 up & the first drinks break.
  • I think this "from a winning position" idea needs to be qualified.
    If a team scores first and leads by just the one goal and there's still a substantial amount of time left, it ought to be termed as a "temporary lead".
    A "winning position" imo would be when you've got a 2-goal lead or you have a 1-goal lead with very little time in the game remaining.
    The advantage of this thinking is it makes it a little easier to bear. :D
  • I think the obvious issue is defensively we just aren’t good enough. We have taken the lead enough times to be higher than 31 points.
  • Imo when we go 1-0 up, we treat the rest of the match like we need to hold onto the 1-0 advantage which invites pressure on a weak defence. We rarely look for the 2 goal lead to offer some breathing space.
  • What worried me was that Newcastle only managed to build up two meaningful attacks; & scored both.

They literally had no sustained pressure all game. We could not handle it & it makes me wonder why Moyes can’t sort it? When you look at somebody like Pulis, who can come in mid season & get a side who leak goals to churn out clean sheet after clean sheet, why can’t Moyes make us more solid?
  • Well, we do have Fredericks and Cresswell.......