Newcastle United v West Ham United - The Andy Carroll Derby

edited July 2020 in Match Threads
Just thought I’d get this up nice & early after our win last night, but let’s bask in the glory of yesterday for a bit longer before we focus on this one.

I imagine the side will be unchanged, & you can’t argue with that. Taking inspiration from alderz:

Fabianski; Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Soucek, Rice; Bowen, Fornals, Lanzini; Antonio

Let’s hope for another good performance & hopefully we can take at least a point, because this side are in good form with a couple of really good players. Saint-Maximin ran Zabaleta ragged earlier in the season, as we went 0-3 down before losing 2-3.

If we could sneak a win, I would say that could well be job done with only 5 games to go, given the fixtures we have remaining.

Comments

• If Arthur is fit, he might be a better choice than Cresswell against Saint-Maximin.
  • Maybe Arthur at LM?

I agree with what's been said, ideally go with the same XI

Have to be wary of fitness, we havent rotated that much and some of our players dont have the best injury records

Possibly bring in Johnson and Yarmolenko

Hope we keep a midfield centre of Rice, Soucek and Fornals
  • Has Saint-Maximin switched wings? It was Zaba he gave hell last time.
  • Hope we get in a cross or two - haven't seen any in the last three games. Haller needs to play a part if he's fit, but as sub (Masuaku likewise)
  • I think he plays on the left. Fredericks has the pace, but basically if you show him on his left every time he has the ball he ends up going nowhere.
  • Yeah I think Federicks has the pace to keep with him and Bowen is quite good at getting stuck in and helping the right-back. I think we're better prepared for him than last time. Would be more worried if he was up against Cresswell. He is the type of opponent I think Masuaku is better at dealing with. He's better at dealing with a direct threat then one that sneaks in behind him when he's switched off.
  • Judging from the "heatmaps" of the games since the restart Saint-Maximin has been switching wings, the only game where he seems to have stayed mostly on the left was against City

I'm off Sunday, I've got a table in front of the big screen booked at my local although I'm told that we won't have the sound on and we aren't allowed to shout or celebrate "wildly".

I guess that means either they won't be letting the mad Toffee in or they'll have to tie him to his chair.
  • Yeah, I think Bruce is experienced enough to know to pitch S-M against Cresswell. I guess Moyes could ask Fredericks to Man-mark him to mitigate that particular risk.
  • This will be tougher because expectations have changed. Newcastle played well at Bournemouth although the Cherries were abject. If we maintain the effort shown against Chelsea there is no reason why we can't get something from the game.
    Same starting X1 for me. A point would be good.

COYI
  • Moyes might be temped to swap Lanzini out for Yarmolenko.

Fitness permitting, I imagine it may be the same team other than that but I agree if Masuaku is around, may be worth considering him at LB.
  • Yarmolenko isn't a natural left sided player, like Fornals or Lanzini he can play there but its not his ideal position.
  • Yarmo as a sub for me. He hasn't shown the workrate required. Lanzini probably had his best game for a while against Chelsea.
  • We got something to build on after beating Chelsea. If Haller is fit, I would play him and drop Lanzini in a flexible /4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, assuming that no new injuries have been picked-up. I can't see a route back for Noble in the starting line-up. Andy Carroll will be a handful. So would keep Ogbonna.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna- Cresswell
    Soucek -Rice-Fornals
    Bowen- Haller- Antonio
    Let us get the three more wins that we need.
  • Not sure if Haller is available with the club missing a payment for him. Currently under investigation by FIFA.

Only us - :)
  • https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/july/03-july/pictures-west-ham-united-prepare-newcastle-united-test

Haller training.

Conor Coventry 'added to the PL squad' - not sure what that means. Training with the first team? wouldn't have thought we were so short of MF players that we needed to bring in one of the kids.
  • Lawro has this 1-1 and Charlie predicts a 2-1 win.
  • edited July 2020
    MrsGrey said:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/july/03-july/pictures-west-ham-united-prepare-newcastle-united-test

Haller training.

Conor Coventry 'added to the PL squad' - not sure what that means. Training with the first team? wouldn't have thought we were so short of MF players that we needed to bring in one of the kids.

I imagine he will be on standby as an option should
    Noble not make the squad.

With this 9 sub rule, we don’t have that many options given that Ajeti & Silva make the bench currently.
  • Lukerz said:

I imagine he will be on standby as an option should
    Noble not make the squad.

With this 9 sub rule, we don’t have that many options given that Ajeti & Silva make the bench currently.

Plus his loan at Lincoln City finished when League 1 was abandoned last month, the U23s don't have any matches so he might as well train with the first team and give Moyes an opportunity to assess him (and others) for next season
  • If Haller is fit then he should play. Lanzini was pants vs Chelsea so try Anderson as no. 10, with Bowen and Antonio wide. Could be an exciting one.
    2 -2
  • I think the key to this is keeping Saint-Maximin and Almirón quiet.
  • I thought Lanzini was alright against Chelsea, personally
  • I'd keep it the same unless Haller is fit, then I think we're better off with Antonio in a wide position. I don't think Newcastle's defenders will be so ruffled by Antonio.
  • If Haller is fit then he should play. Lanzini was pants vs Chelsea so try Anderson as no. 10, with Bowen and Antonio wide. Could be an exciting one.
    2 -2

Fornals was playing the no.10 spot, Lanzini was playing on the left.

Like alderz I didn't think Lanzini was that bad, a bit sluggish but then that was his first start since the Covid break
  • We must smash them.

I can live with 1-3 Andy Carroll getting one just for old times sake. But I want a win.
    I really want a win. Please please pretty please can we win.
    I will miss the first half as I will be doing an online driver awareness course for being a bad person on the M25.
    I throw myself on the mercy of the court, but if we are 2 up at half time then I shall be thankful, and dedicate our win to the Essex Constabulary particularly the ones near Epping.
  • I want 3-4 Carroll hat trick and idk Haller brace and Fab to score with a header in the 92nd minute to make it 3-3, and then a Noble pen
  • Sean Longstaff, Jamaal Lascelles and Joelinton are all doubts for Newcastle, while Florian Lejeuene could miss the remainder of the season.https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52145656
  • Same side as against Chelsea. Bring Haller on second half when we are 2-0 up to get some match fitness for the following game against Burnley.
  • edited July 2020
    Haller not available according to Ex

Which is a shame as Antonio will not be able to replicate his performance the other day, IMO

May need some help from Yarmo & Anderson off the bench today
  • Yeah Antonio playing 3 games in 7 days = definite injury not to jinx it.
  • I would love Antonio to put in another performance, but the odds say he won’t. He was so good on Weds, to play like that again today will be a massive ask. But there is no Haller now to bring on for the final 20 mins. Going to be a tough game today & a tough one for him.