West Ham United v Chelsea - The Frank Lampard Derby

Comments

• Wonder who opened this thread?
  • That was a cracking game & that final goal

Brilliant
  • IronHerb said:

We had 11 shots on 29% possession. Just think what might happen if we ever dominate.

0-3 loss ;)
  • I'm so happy for Bowen. He's replaced Kouyate as the dangly and lanky dynamic DM/CM we needed. Covers ground well, gets stuck in, defensively solid and also puts himself about, whilst still being a good footballer and offers something going forwards.
  • MrsG

IMO the free kick Fab may have been a bit too far across but fair play for the quality of the strike. I don’t think it’s a clanger by any stretch
  • Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

If Haller isn't fit, why don't we stick Yarmo up top? Has the best conversion rate of all our players this season (albeit not many games he has played).

9 starts this season (7 sub appearances); 3 goals & an assist. 9 appearances last season (5 starts); 2 goals & an assist.

So, in 14 starts for us; 5 goals & 2 assists.

He's the same height as Haller & is classed as a forward/winger. Why not? Bowen & Antonio either side.

I mean...
    He only scored because he was able to come in unmarked from the left :)
  • edited July 2020
    Great game. Would have been a cracking atmosphere if the crowd could have gone.

Oh and I loved that camera angle when you could see our players and staff celebrating the winner on the benches.
  • Welovethehammers, are you sure you are describing Soucek, not Bowen, who is a winger/ wide midfielder and not very lanky ?
  • The best thing was I watched the whole game with my 7 year old son and he was so happy. Hes got bragging rights over his mates to.
  • Turned out nice again ain’t it - George Formby,

Great result and maybe enough to instill the confidence needed to get out of another fine mess we find ourselves in (cue Laurel and Hardy) to be fair, I was not hopeful during the first 20mins as Antonio was totally isolated up top, I could not see us holding out and as for scoring ourselves......

Good fight back after the disallowed goal and Diops blooper, Overall Antonio was a beast and he worked so hard all game, Rice and Bowen once again showed up and Soucek put in a proper shift but I am not sure that Fornals did very much, looks terrified of the ball.

Lanzini was better but still a shadow of his prior self - I see calls for a point against the barcodes, I see them standing in the slips, straining upon the start and upon this day let’s get all three points up there and breath a bit easier.

Proud of them today
  • edited July 2020
    Great result, and performance from all. Happy also to see Soucek score, after his OG the other day thought he more than deserved it last night, strong performance from him IMO.
  • Bonus 3 points last night as I really expected our recovery to start on Sunday at Newcastle.
  • Excellent performance by the Hammers. I would have predicted a 0-2 loss
    if we were playing the predictor game.
    The main two reasons why we won, was that Noble wasn't playing, and Antonio
    gave a brilliant non stop performance.
  • edited July 2020
    I think that midfield trio has to now be our first choice 3 going forwards. It has the best blend of everything. Soucek I really like as a box-to-box CM & Rice as a DM who also has the ability to get forward. Fornals knits things together with simple passing & good energy levels. Not sure if we stay up it would be good enough to push us on next year; but for now it is the best trio.

Ogbonna made a big difference & Antonio; what a performance. Never convinced by him up front, but he was brilliant. Haller in for Lanzini & that would be our best 11 I think last night; Anderson/Yarmo/Lanzini as impact subs.
  • edited July 2020
    Just watched the highlights and especially the penalty that Pulisic bought.
    Diop had nowhere to go and the septic deliberately ran/dived into him, in fact he was already airborne when he made contact.
    If it had been us, the player would have been told to get up, not unlike Antonio who was twisted round by Rudiger but nothing given, but fair play to him for getting up and scoring.

Bowen seems to be our buy of the season, really like his work ethic and it was his corner and pass that led to our first two goals (and also his corner for the ridiculously disallowed one).
    And as Hammerex said "the main two reasons why we won, was that Noble wasn't playing, and Antonio gave a brilliant non stop performance".

Let's hope we can carry this to Newcastle, although I think their defence won't be so generous.

COYI
  • Ignoring the fact it was West Ham and we won, last night also felt like the first proper Premier League match I've seen since the restart. It was a really enjoyable game to watch and was really intense and dramatic, whereas a lot of the games so far have been so pedestrian.
  • Lanzini was showing glimpses that he might be remembering how to impact games, yesterday. Would be great for him to hit a bit of form in these final games &, when you look at his history, he always seems to have a purple patch before the end of the season.
  • A comment on BBC HYS
    "The Noble injury was crucial, as finally West Ham get to play a game with an 11 man team.
    It may sound harsh, but all WH fans will know what I'm talking about - nice guy etc, but shouldn't have been on the pitch for years now."
  • Agreed about Lanzini, Lukerz. He looked quicker and sharper and wasn't given the ball away quite so much. I think it's just about confidence with him. He's lost his nerve since the injury and doesn't demand the ball as much and is less inclined to run with it and take people on, which was a really important dimension of his game before. Hopefully he'll start bringing that back.
  • Lanzini was also pressing and diving in to tackles. That scissors motion on Azpi (I think) was both stupid and encouraging. He put himself about in a way I haven't seen since the injury.
  • Jorderz/Outcast - I agree. Interesting that he also played on the left, where he played his best football under Bilic in his first season here.
  • Could we stay up without winning another game?
  • Welovethehammers, are you sure you are describing Soucek, not Bowen, who is a winger/ wide midfielder and not very lanky ?

Yes I meant Soucek!!!
  • Just watched that interview with Antonio, he is just so likeable. :)
  • Obviously thrilled by the result, and there's no doubting Antonio had a great game, but...........

Antonio still isn't a CF, and that was a 1 in 10 performance as one; in the other 9 games he's largely ineffective as a CF (not in any way suggesting he can't and doesn't impact games, just that he's much more effective when he hasn't got his back to goal which he usually has when he's played as an isolated, one-up-front CF).

The downside of last night's performance is it will give G&S an excuse to, yet again, leave us short of quality up front as "Antonio can do a job as a back up CF". We've had one CF all season; Antonio starts ahead of all of the others, not because he's great up there by himself, but because the alternatives (Ajeti, Silva etc) aren't deemed good enough.

Playing Antonio as a CF hurts us twice; he's generally not that effective in that role, yet we lose his pace and power from a deeper starting point and with his face to goal. Really worried that G&S will use last night's performance to stitch us up in the transfer market again.
  • as above... I was proud of the whole team, that's the first time this season they've won from behind, playing against a biased ref and VAR ref too.
    Think Nobes has had his day as a starter, but don't like the vitiol directed at him...Rice stepped up as captain (hopefully for us rather than to impress Frank.)
    Yarmo combined better with Fredericks than Bowen did, but hard to drop Bowen.
    Decisions, decisions.
  • I also think that Noble shouldn't be a regular starter, but I find the way he's spoken about quite upsetting. Some of the comments I see on BBC and various forums are incredibly disrespectful to someone who actually cares about the club and works himself into the ground for it. He doesn't have the athleticism to play week in week out, but the fact people suggest that he's the reason we are poor is incredibly weak, in my opinion.
  • Yarmolenko goal was a thing of beauty ,if Liverpool or Man u had scored it ,Everyone would still be talking about it