West Ham United v Chelsea - The Frank Lampard Derby

edited June 2020 in Match Threads
“Fornals...Cresswell...cuts inside...oh my goodness does he cut inside...”

November 30th, Stamford Bridge

Seems an age ago, but we did beat this lot earlier in the season.

The final game of the horror set of fixtures, before a 6 game tournament.

Standings currently are:

1) Watford: +1 point
2) West Ham: 0 points
3) Bournemouth: 0 points
4) Aston Villa: 0 points
5) Norwich: -6 points

Side to take on Chelsea:

Fabianski
Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
Soucek - Rice (c)
Bowen - Fornals - Antonio
Yarmolenko

Randolph, Balbuena, Johnson, Noble, Wilshere, Lanzini, Anderson, Ajeti, Silva

If by some miracle we can scrape a draw, that would be great.

I’d like to see Rice play further forward this time, with Soucek sitting the deepest. Feel he has more to offer as a more box-to-box player.

All I can say is 🤞

Comments

• Stick Martin in goal.

:thumbsup:
  • If Haller is fit (is he?) then him up top with Bowen and Antonio wide.
  • apparently Moyes does not Trust our back up strikers to score goals so he plays midfielders who are not scoring goals anyway, go figure the mind of the great one!!
  • This must be one Of the incoherent squads of all time
  • Man, who buys our strikers??

Spent £16mil combined on Hugill + Ajeti and neither could even get onto the field despite the fact we couldn't score anyway

• apparently Moyes does not Trust our back up strikers to score goals so he plays midfielders who are not scoring goals anyway, go figure the mind of the great one!!

We don't have back up strikers (plural)

We have a back up striker (singular) and we have wingers/midfielders who can play as strikers

Ex reckons that Haller is back in training but won't be ready for Wednesday. Ogbonna is fit so I guess he'll come in for Balbuena (or Diop who hasn't been great the last few games).
  • We could try big sams 4-6-0 formation
  • Moyes says "Seb Haller and Angelo Ogbonna are getting closer. We've got them out on the grass and among the team. They're getting closer.

We've got Arthur Masuaku who we're trying to get back too, who rolled his ankle a couple of days before the restart. They're all getting closer but we're not sure they'll be available for tomorrow."

Doesn't sound too hopeful

Meanwhile Little Frank says that he'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if Christensen and Pulisic are fit to play
  • Why does Moyes go on about could go to the last game ,We should be looking at being safe before then ,What kind of a message does that send to the players
  • steve said:

Why does Moyes go on about could go to the last game ,We should be looking at being safe before then ,What kind of a message does that send to the players

Ahhh, its a cunning plan, if we are safe before the last game he can say we did better than expected.
  • Or it could go to the last game.
  • edited June 2020
    If Haller isn't fit, why don't we stick Yarmo up top? Has the best conversion rate of all our players this season (albeit not many games he has played).

9 starts this season (7 sub appearances); 3 goals & an assist. 9 appearances last season (5 starts); 2 goals & an assist.

So, in 14 starts for us; 5 goals & 2 assists.

He's the same height as Haller & is classed as a forward/winger. Why not? Bowen & Antonio either side.
  • I was talking on the phone to an old mate of mine in the Philippines this morning who's a Chelsea supporter, (yeah, yeah, I know) who said that he watched the Wolves game and reckoned that the only player who gives his all is Noble, he also added that Noble is at best a Champo player.
    I had to agree with him.
  • What's happening with Xande Silva? He's 23 now, so should really be playing by now.

I'd rather see Bowen up front than Yarmolenko, who I'm not sure has the instinct or pace to get behind a defence. It would be like a false 9 with Yarmolenko, I think.
  • We all need to remember that we have Moyes in charge and all common sense goes out the window. I'd expect it to be the same with Antonio up top and Noble in the middle.
  • cant really believe Yarmolenko and Wiltshire have not had any playing time in our last two games .
  • What's happening with Xande Silva? He's 23 now, so should really be playing by now.

I'd rather see Bowen up front than Yarmolenko, who I'm not sure has the instinct or pace to get behind a defence. It would be like a false 9 with Yarmolenko, I think.

He may be able to do a job as a bit of a target man.

I say may...
  • steve said:

cant really believe Yarmolenko and Wiltshire have not had any playing time in our last two games .

Yarmolenko came on as a sub at the end of the Wolves game

Yarmolenko, Silva and Bowen are like Antonio, they have all played as strikers in the past but are better suited playing wide.
  • The Allardyce diamond is a decent shout. In the absence of Haller, I think that a pairing of Antonio and Bowen split wide would be about the most attacking threat we could offer.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Diop - Cresswell
    Soucek
    Rice - Noble
    Fornals
    Antonio - Bowen
  • ASLEF .Watched that game cant believe i missed Yarmolenko coming on .Must have had my eyes closed and ears covered up
  • Allardyce diamond was probably one of our best formations in recent years. Maybe would put Fornals in the Noble position and Anderson at the point, though.
  • Moyes won't drop Noble.
  • It doesn’t matter if he drops Noble or not now. The whole team is suffering from West Ham syndrome . The players have lost their passion and pride so just go through the motions. They have to give interviews so spout the usual rubbish. You can tell that they are not up for it. It is the same most seasons but this season for well paid players to perform so badly so often it has been horrible to watch. There are loads of injuries ( mainly a total lack of desire to play) no passion or desire which comes from no trust in the manager. West Ham never seem to have a game plan . Also the purchasing of players is truly pathetic . Has a club over the years bought as many quite costly players that never play and just disappear? The club is a total joke from top to bottom.
  • IronHerb said:

Moyes won't drop Noble.

Yeah, shame though because I think Noble always comes back from being dropped/injured a much better player.
  • Time is running out and we need few points. Moyes has to change the formation to give us any chance of scoring. I think we need a flexible 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation against Chelsea and he has to play a striker. If Haller isn't fit he has got to try Ajeti or Yarmolenko. Moyes & Co have been coaching Ajeti and Yarmolenko for a while so they must be able to play some part in their game plan. Moyes transformed Marko Arnautović and may be he can get more out of Yarmolenko by playing him up the top. Also hope Ogbonna is back as he offers more pace than Balbuena against Chelsea's speedy strikers.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Balbuena/Ognonna - Cresswell
    Soucek- Fornals- Rice
    Antonio - Ajeti/Haller/Yarmolenko- Bowen

1-0 to hammers.
  • I still think ( said in previous post) Moyes will play a few games negatively to keep down the goals against column. He won't lose any sleep over a 0-1 defeat. I honestly hope I'm wrong and he attacks but I personally don't think he has it in him.
  • edited July 2020
    Fabianski, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Diop, Cresswell, Rice, Soucek, Lanzini, Bowen, Fornals and Antonio according to Ex
  • edited July 2020
    Shows what I know!! More adventurous than I thought, full credit to him. Now all they have to do is have a go at them
  • Lanzini better show something
  • edited July 2020
    steve said:

ASLEF .Watched that game cant believe i missed Yarmolenko coming on .Must have had my eyes closed and ears covered up

It was blink and you missed it

Noble not even on the bench. Injured? Rested?

Alfie Lewis is a 20yo CM. Welcome, young man!