West Ham United v Chelsea - The Frank Lampard Derby

Comments

• We won and did the double on Chelsea holy moly
  • I thought we worked so hard and when we got the ball down and played we looked genuinely dangerous.

Massive three points.
  • Wow. What a relief. Chelsea had two luck goals but WHU fought back. Well played. Now let us push on.
  • brucy bonus result
  • I did not see that result before the game.... thats more like it!!
  • Fantastic result..and for once made do of the other teams around us COYI.....
  • edited July 2020
    Our two centre backs were fantastic - Especially Ogbonna imo.

Soucek and Rice great in the middle too - Especially Soucek.

Antonio worked hard like always in a very tough role (and performed it better than he has done recently).

Yarmolenko did very well when he came on. Him cutting in and Fredericks going wide worked well against a poor Alonso.

I'm happy Moyes made subs a little earlier and used 3 subs. He took off the right players too so credit where credit is due.
  • I think at the end they could have played many songs, but a fitting one would have been the one giving directions of where Chelsea could stick their blue flags.
  • We deserved that..
  • I would have been happy with a draw. Now delighted that we won and actually put in a performance.
  • Our CM looked so much more stronger without Noble, as sorry as I am to say that. Makes a big difference having two players sitting who actually have the mobility and pace to get around.
  • Some of you might have read my post in the relegation thread when I said I’m starting not to care. SO WHY WERE MY GUTS CHURNING before and after our third?!
    Of course I care, I just didn’t realise quite how much.
  • edited July 2020
    The first touch pass from Antonio to Yarmo was inch perfect & brilliantly timed. COYI
    A win without Noble, when was the last time we did that?
  • We deserve to go down. We are abysmal.

How do you feel now?
  • edited July 2020

Our CM looked so much more stronger without Noble, as sorry as I am to say that. Makes a big difference having two players sitting who actually have the mobility and pace to get around.

Agreed. They seemed to have a fantasitc understanding between them and their size and general presence comes in handy. I was very impressed with how their positioning.

For the first time in a while I felt we looked pretty solid and resolute at the back (despite conceding two). It wasn't like against Spurs where we were sitting back and had 11 men behind the ball either. I'm sure having Ogbonna back played a part in this along with Rice and Soucek in the middle.
  • Not his biggest fan but Yarmo what a finish and made a huge difference. Thought Lanzini put on a good shift too
  • Absolutely gobsmacked. My abysmal comment was made after we had the goal disallowed and then conceded a penalty.
  • Antonio was immense I thought. MOTM by a mile.
  • Rice and Soucek in midfield were tremendous. I thought Oggy was MOTM and I still don't know what to make of Antonio. There is no middle ground with him, at times he's laughable and at others unplayable.
    Fancy letting Yarmolenko cut in, glad they did though. Bowen grew into the game after a slow start and the two assists.

Now for a point at Newcastle.

COYI
  • Lukerz said:

If Haller isn't fit, why don't we stick Yarmo up top? Has the best conversion rate of all our players this season (albeit not many games he has played).

9 starts this season (7 sub appearances); 3 goals & an assist. 9 appearances last season (5 starts); 2 goals & an assist.

So, in 14 starts for us; 5 goals & 2 assists.

He's the same height as Haller & is classed as a forward/winger. Why not? Bowen & Antonio either side.

I mean...
  • Oggy motm for me
  • edited July 2020
    Bowen grew into the game after a slow start and the two assists.

Now for a point at Newcastle.

_____

I was moaning about how many times he lost possession, but he improved as the while team stepped up their performance : thumbs up

I thought Fredericks had a better game than usual, too.
  • Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

If Haller isn't fit, why don't we stick Yarmo up top? Has the best conversion rate of all our players this season (albeit not many games he has played).

9 starts this season (7 sub appearances); 3 goals & an assist. 9 appearances last season (5 starts); 2 goals & an assist.

So, in 14 starts for us; 5 goals & 2 assists.

He's the same height as Haller & is classed as a forward/winger. Why not? Bowen & Antonio either side.

I mean...
    I don't think he'd be as effective as a striker. I know when based on stats he converts well and has the height to be a striker, but I just feel his style of play is suited to cutting in and shooting. If there's one thing he's mastered (or came close to it), then it is that. He's very left footed and his game revolves pretty much around just using that foot. Imo the way he was used as a right midfielder impact sub for Bowen was perfect (for now at least).
  • The more you lose the sweeter it is when you win COYI
  • Well, that went rather well...
  • Everyone in the world describes Antonio's goal as a quality team move

Phil McNulty:
    Man-of-the-match Antonio bundled West Ham in front six minutes after the interval
  • alderz said:

Everyone in the world describes Antonio's goal as a quality team move

Phil McNulty:

Man-of-the-match Antonio bundled West Ham in front six minutes after the interval

I notice he also credits Williams free kick as superb, while other pundits blame the keeper for poor positioning and a shift in the wrong direction.

Phil has his own take on things
  • The midfield looked a lot more mobile but the turning point to the season could be the disallowed goal. It seemed to instill the fight and passion needed to win games.
    VAR needs looking at , it really does. It should work the same for all teams but definitely it is not used against us as it is for other teams. I cannot believe how poorly and how differently it is being used on us.
  • edited July 2020
    We must build on this win. A point at Newcastle will be just as important for belief and morale
  • We had 11 shots on 29% possession. Just think what might happen if we ever dominate.