West Ham v Sheffield Utd (A) 10:01:2020 KO 20:00 - Match Thread

Comments

• What we can take from the game is that we were far more solid & committed, however what do you expect when you play five defenders, plus two holding CMs. I would only expect that.

Pellegrini's downfall was he wanted us to play open football, which we just did not have the players to do without letting in loads of goals as well.

I think a 0-0/1-1 would not have been unjust, but I just expect more of some of our players. I mean Lanzini has never convinced me but he had a good pre-season & maybe I was being harsh after his injury, but again he didn't grab that game & produce a game changing moment for us. That moment when the SU player slipped & he was in on goal; had he just slipped the ball across straight away Haller had a 1v1 on Henderson.

I thought Anderson did what Anderson does a lot; nice little touches & control & pops it off to other players, but no real cutting edge with a pass that gets us in on goal or a shot. How often does he dribble to the edge of the box & then pass it?

When you look at the game back, we had chances. Anderson 1v1, Haller's header, Lanzini/Haller through on goal, the disallowed goal. They also had chances, mainly once it went 1-0 & we were chasing it a bit.

Moyes obviously likes the idea of 3 at the back with the players we have, but given we were excellent against Bournemouth with Fornals & Snodgrass out wide & Anderson off of Haller, I am a little confused why he needed to change it. Leaving Snodgrass & Fornals out was confusing for me.

Everton next is a massive game for us, with what we have to come. After this run of 11 games we only have 6 left, & we need another 18 points or so. Almost a must-win but that won't be easy.
  • Baz, if you're referring to my post above, there's nothing in it about "no big deal scenario or leading to a goal" in the wording. Therefore all incidences must be judged equally.

So a handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby. “

• edited January 2020
    Bubbles I think there is another rule saying that if a ball touches arm/hand whether intentional or not & leads to a goal ( even if it was a bit back in play ) the goal will not stand...might be wrong tho...

This is it Bubbles, think we have to accept it until the stupid law changes:

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.
  • edited January 2020
    I think jorderz nailed the issue here.

Is there anything defined about how far back in play you go? A bit like the advantage rule?

How long do you look back in the build up to a goal? Had the handball been by Snodgrass, or been involved in the assist by Rice that led to Snodgrass, I get that.

But given it was the very first bit of the phase, when Rice picked up possession, which then saw Rice drive past further players before passing it, is that really 'handball that leads to a goal'?
  • Someone in my local mentioned and don’t know how accurate but if moyes gets his win % over the last remaining games we end up with 36.2 points, hope that’s enough
  • We have Leicester twice, Liverpool twice, Arsenal (a), Spurs (a), Man Utd (a), Chelsea (h), Man City (a)...

That's 9 of our remaining 16 games.
  • We don’t have Leicester twice.
  • 17 games to go 18 points needed for the magic 40 although probably be less than 40 needed
  • edited January 2020
    Guys. I apologise for transferring Fabianski into my fantasy team this week
  • I think 37 points is the new 40. Pretty sure that's what Grey calculated last time we were in a relegation battle.

So 15 points needed as a minimum I'd say. The home games against Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, Watford and Villa are key to us staying up; win these and we should just about be safe. Norwich away is another good opportunity for three points, and we should have enough in this squad to get at least a point from Everton and Newcastle.

But we need players in this month. Absolutely no two ways about it. Fabianksi, Fredericks, Wilshere, Antonio and Yarmolenko are all currently injured, and the latter four have a history of it. Haller has absolutely no cover. Zabaleta is shot at this level. If the board are trusting to luck that there'll be three teams worse than us then they're more reckless than I thought.
  • We could do with all the away sides losing in the 3pm games today.
  • Sad but true :weep:
  • Lukerz said:

We could do with all the away sides losing in the 3pm games today.

Praying for other results to go our way in January. Nothing ever changes, does it?
  • Lukerz said:

We have Leicester twice, Liverpool twice, Arsenal (a), Spurs (a), Man Utd (a), Chelsea (h), Man City (a)...

That's 9 of our remaining 16 games.

Spurs away and Chelsea at home will be 2 of the 5 wins we need to stay up
  • edited January 2020

But we need players in this month. Absolutely no two ways about it. Fabianksi, Fredericks, Wilshere, Antonio and Yarmolenko are all currently injured, and the latter four have a history of it.

Fredricks has only had a history of injury since he joined us, his only major absence during his three seasons with Fulham was two and a half months back in autumn 2016.

Regardless we need another RB as Zabaleta will be leaving in the summer.
  • Lukerz said:

Praying for other results to go our way in January. Nothing ever changes, does it?
    Next level don't ya know. :weep:
  • OCS :ok:

Over the last 10 seasons, 18th placed teams reached
    30 39 36 36 33 35 37 34 33 34

so most seasons would have seen teams safe with 37, and in 8 of them 36 would have done (GD allowing)

• edited January 2020
    Sheffield United were much more direct with the ball than us, not relying on a set of pretty short passes to create chances. Why did it take until the 92nd minute for one of our midfielders to try and surge through the centre of their defense, and why was that man Rice ? Lanzini and Anderson seem to be content beating one man and laying the ball off, never dribbling or charging with the ball like Antonio does. It is OK that 4 out 5 attempts fails but the other one might lead to a free kick or even a penalty.
  • Baz, if you're referring to my post above, there's nothing in it about "no big deal scenario or leading to a goal" in the wording. Therefore all incidences must be judged equally.

So a handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby. “

The ball hit Declan's arm after it come off the head of one of their players so if the above is applied the goal should not have been disallowed or am I missing something?
  • Lukerz said:

We aren't all worrying. I'm not. I think we'll comfortably stay up.

Even if I didn't, I still wouldn't be worrying about other results on the 11th January. There's not 2 or 3 games to go - there's almost 20.

The only thing we should worry about is ourselves. I fully believe we will get another 5 or 6 wins this season, minimum.

I still think it's been a great start under Moyes. 3 games in which we've won 2, conceded 1 goal which was a goalkeeping howler, matched everybody for running and effort.

He's picked up a team with no confidence, fitness, structure, work-rate and with the squad looking very thin, and we've shown up in every game and been right in them.

I'm still raging about last night, but we competed. IMO we should have had a point, not just for the handball/VAR fiasco but because there was nothing between the teams. And they're a tough side, flying high, at home.

We'll be absolutely fine.
  • I'm not worried about it really. Would open a few eyes to the real state of the club hopefully.
  • edited January 2020
    Ok, watching the game this morning, am 35 mins in, thus far I think we look bright, our final ball into the box is woeful but overall we appear comfortably in control.

We are pressing high up the pitch with some really good interplay and have created a couple of decent chances thrown in for good measure.

On what I am seeing, I am a little less worried than I was after reading the comments on here last night.

And BTW, I get it is considered bants etc, but I am not particularly impressed with the fans wearing Tevas masks, we want the media etc to stop harping on about it and move on, well IMO, so should we.

:ok:
  • I personally think this year the minimum needed will be closer to 40 points rather than 36 IMO...
  • A few thoughts from last night -

How the hell are Sheffield United fifth in the league?

You could see the 'Moysiah' impact starting to take hold with the improved work rate and effort.

Fab was rushed back too soon.

Deserved at least a point, if not all three.

The VAR package needs a lot of work.

The notion that fans do not celebrate goals due to VAR was totally dispelled when we "scored" and, to put it in the current vernacular, their were limbs in the away end.

• Need a lot of work done on training with second ball positioning. Sheff Utd always had two players covering it, we had wide open gaps. Liked Masuaku a lot. Maybe swap out Noble and Snodgrass next game. Much improved overall effort and tactics, a typical Moyes unlucky defeat.
  • Also back 3 with Diop. Need his pace, too slow right known the middle.
  • I'm gonna say it, wont be popular but that's inkeeping with my own views.
    I HATE VAR with a passion, I know lot's won't agree, but IMO it has taken all the fun & right kind of drama out of the game.
    In the past the only time you wouldn't celebrate straight away if you scored was if the ref went over to consult his assistant.
    While last night fans celebrated, it was all all too short lived..
    1st you have to wait to see if it's offside, & the use of a tiny thin line to decide if a curl of hair or a finger nail might be offside, do me a favour, where has the game gone to, it's certainly not encouraging the striker to score goals, & lets not even get on to what happened last night, while the rule is what it is, the goal could not stand, but if VAR wasn't involved it would have been 1-1.
    I understand many would argue all this & fair enough, like the terrible offside v Liverpool last season.
    If it has to stay IMO many things need changing, like only the part of the body where the goal is scored from can be offside ( head/foot/knee etc )...not easy, but I really hope it goes as quick as it has come.
    Re last night, IMO lots of decent passing & defending for most, final 3rd until Snodgrass came on couldn't cross to save our lives.
    Felt a bit for Martin, but a goalkeeper who makes an error versus a midfielder always gets punished more, apart from his error, he did well, not his fault our so called no 2 is not fit to put the shirt on.
    It's IMO a tough slog to the final game, more players needed quick & will need to gel quickly, I personally think it's 50/50 we stay up.
  • Had to chuckle at Rice remonstrating with Zab after he splayed a cross field ball and Zab didn’t chase it down.

The lad doesn’t lack confidence does he

:lol:
  • Anderson made some nice passes but seems to have no confidence in running at players and taking them on. I’d hoped that his goal last week would have changed that.
  • MIAHammer said:

Anderson made some nice passes but seems to have no confidence in running at players and taking them on. I’d hoped that his goal last week would have changed that.

Our whole midfield is so slow and lethargic. There is little energy when Antonio isn't about.
This discussion has been closed.