West Ham v Sheffield Utd (A) 10:01:2020 KO 20:00 - Match Thread

Comments

• But Anderson is quick but doesn't show it enough. He also looked in a poor way with what looked like his lower back following that poor foul on him late on.
  • Lukerz said:

I think jorderz nailed the issue here.

Is there anything defined about how far back in play you go? A bit like the advantage rule?

How long do you look back in the build up to a goal? Had the handball been by Snodgrass, or been involved in the assist by Rice that led to Snodgrass, I get that.

But given it was the very first bit of the phase, when Rice picked up possession, which then saw Rice drive past further players before passing it, is that really 'handball that leads to a goal'?

I recall a commentator stating that the rule applies to attacking players. If true, that would sort of clarify how far back you can go. That would also explain why that Van Dyck handball was allowed to stand. Again, not sure if this is true or just an interpretation by a commentator.
  • Have just finished watching and that was brutal, it has all been said before but I am still wondering how we lost the game.

I think some of the comments on here were a bit harsh, in the parlance of every football fan who has ever lived, I think we woz robbed.

At the end of the day we lost to a howler, some poor crosses and we lack confidence in front of goal.

I honestly think that a team in better form, creating the chances we did, would have won comfortably by two or even three.

The disallowed goal, nothing to add, VAR did its job in spotting the potential infringement, it is the rule itself and how it should be adjudicated that needs to change.
  • I'm not sure Moyes will be able to get the team off the floor if they suffer another a couple back to back losses.
  • Allen coming in for Noble would be a good thing right now
  • I think we looked better in the 4411

Like Lukerz (think it was you) said, I'm surprised that he changed it

Lanzini offered very little, but you could see that Moyes was trying to replicate how we played in his first spell where we had success with Lanzini-Arnie up top

Moyes obviously prefers a back 3/5, think we have the squad now to play with a back 4

Still I was impressed with our solidarity. If we didnt make a calamitous error I didnt see us conceding... But our forward play too a hit

Agree with most of the comments that Anderson has looked a lot better, but his actual impact when he gets about 25 yards out is wasteful and he often goes back on himself

I'm not worried about relegation (unless we dont bring in a new keeper) and hope Moyes has some funds to give us a bit of a push
  • Please help me out...am I right in thinking that:
    If Snoddy did not score, it would not have been handball by Declan?
    But score and it is handball?!

Get the lawyers onto this!
  • Please help me out...am I right in thinking that:
    If Snoddy did not score, it would not have been handball by Declan?
    But score and it is handball?!

Get the lawyers onto this!

It would have been handball, but it was missed by the ref in normal time and only picked up by VAR, which checks every goal. No goal and it wouldn't have been given as handball, but only because they (the ref and linos) would, by the current rules, have got it wrong.
  • As the ball was a ricochet onto Declan’s hand it would not have been penalised had Snodgrass not scored but as the rule stands, if it results in a goal it’s handball.
  • thorn,

Bubbles posted this earlier - So a handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby. “

I still believe based on the above the goal should have stood?
  • Fortune this is the complete IFAB rule change regarding handball.

Changes
    •Deliberate handball remains an offence
    •The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick: •the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
    •a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    •the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    •the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The following will not usually be a free kick, UNLESS THEY ARE ONE OF THE ABOVE SITUATIONS:
    •the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
    •the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
    •if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
    •If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball.

Therefore the Declan issue comes under the UNLESS clause

• thorn,

Thanks for a detailed clarification. :ok:
  • Still nonsense. If the keeper saved Snodderz’ shot and we score from the corner, Rice didn’t handball it.

Because Snodders scored, Rice did handball it.
  • When they announce the ref, I never see the VAR ref made public. Why is this? It would explain a lot if we knew, for example, that "it's all about me " Mike Dean was the VAR controller.
  • Oh and I think Anderson is 100% better in the middle. He was running the show at times ,and his electric speed causes defenders real problems. I'm delighted with the Moyes effect on him.
  • FYI Kuching:

Video Assistant Referee for game was: Chris Kavanagh
  • We need to get some points from the really difficult games or I can see us needing the kind of finish we had from our last 7 games in 2007
  • edited January 2020
    Points from last 6 games:

Norwich 3/18

Bournemouth 4/18

Villa 6/18

Watford 16/18 ( :clap: )

Burnley 6/18

West Ham 4/18

Brighton 4/18

Newcastle 4/18

Soton 13/18

Palace 7/18

People need to stop imagining that the teams around us are any good.

• Well Southampton & Watford appear to be a lot better than us at the moment and by rights IMHO we should be better than them. :whistle:
  • Fortune

Whose rights?

Based on what?

If 2/10 perform better than us between now and the end of the season, we'll be fine.
  • Grey surely we are 6/18 with wins against Saints and Bournemouth.
  • grey, I said IMHO by rights, so it’s me who thinks it based on playing squad as a starter. We are going to be challenging for Europe on a regular basis don’t you know just ask the board. ;)
  • Grey surely we are 6/18 with wins against Saints and Bournemouth.

Didn't you read about our points deduction on the FA website? An independent tribunal decided Sheffield Utd actually deserved five points from us instead of three... :whistle:
  • Points from last 6 games:

Norwich 3/18

Bournemouth 4/18

Villa 6/18

Watford 16/18 ( :clap: )

Burnley 6/18

West Ham 4/18

Brighton 4/18

Newcastle 4/18

Soton 13/18

Palace 7/18

People need to stop imagining that the teams around us are any good.

but neither are we.
  • The Premier League has changed at lot in the past 2/3 season, with the exception of probably Liverpool and Man City anybody can beat anybody and often does. So I don't see the "easy" games and "difficult" games, they are all tough, which is how it should be. We are just as likely to beat Man Utd or Chelsea as we are Norwich or Bournemouth.
  • Yeold

I have no doubt we will perform better than three of those teams in the games between now and the end of the season, which rules out relegation.

• I really hope your opinion is right Grey.
  • edited January 2020
    Jay, have faith in Grey and the Moyesiah :biggrin:
    After watching Bournemouth and Norwich yesterday, I think they're going down, so it's between us, Villa, Brighton, Burnley and Watford for the other spot.
    :scarf:
  • I do in Grey but not the Moyesiah
  • edited January 2020
    Cuz, Grey to replace Moyes then? :biggrin:
This discussion has been closed.