West Ham v Sheffield Utd (A) 10:01:2020 KO 20:00 - Match Thread

Comments

• SU will claim revenge for Tevez saga so they’ll be pleased
  • I’m still in favor of VAR though the rules need to be tweaked (i.e. offside by millimetres, handball rule, etc.). Some people have forgotten how many games we lost due to dodgy decisions
  • This handball rule HAS to go.its absolutely stupid!!!
    I’m in favour of VAR but FA have to their heads out their .......... fill in the blanks!!!
  • edited January 2020
    Lukerz

You seem to be missing the point.

The new rules re: handball (which do not consider intent) have nothing to do with VAR.

Over the last few PL rounds, VAR has clearly shown it's worth.
  • Very cruel to lose this game. Deserved a point. OK Martin made a mistake but also made a couple of smart saves.
    The disallowed goal - it was ball to hand and there was not way Rice could get out of way.
    A good performance though Lanzini was not that good. Haller could have had a hat-trick but it was not to be. Still, hopeful for the next game.
  • What it does show us, is we need a new first choice GK, a RB, CM & ST.

The owners need to get those players in or we risk going down given the form of Watford.
  • Pengenan

The new rules do not consider intent re: handball in the build up to a goal.
  • Looks like we need a ‘bundle’
  • edited January 2020
    This handball rule is not even an FA rule. It is FIFA that we must "thank" for it.
  • Desperate for a GK

Zab tries and is a pro but he just isnt up to scratch for this level

Need a striker, you could tell Moyes wanted to give Haller a partner (hence why Lanzini stayed up front) but he had no one who could play there
  • Maybe he doesn’t win games, well not as many as he’d have you believe
  • So the new game plan from now on, whenever you get in the area don't go for a shot, chip the ball up or aim at the defenders arms.
    Has to be a penalty every time you get the shot on target
  • But surely VAR have to decide how far you go back?

There’s plenty of play after it before the ball is in the net.

How far do you go back? 5 seconds? 10 seconds?

I get the Antonio one against Southampton and Chelsea because they were a millisecond before he put the ball in the net.

But this one is a joke.
  • edited January 2020
    Lukerz said:

we risk going down given the form of Watford.

We really don't. My charity bet offer still stands. Ray says, "Get right on it."
  • Lukerz said:

What it does show us, is we need a new first choice GK, a RB, CM & ST.

The owners need to get those players in or we risk going down given the form of Watford.

Good luck with that.
  • Completely agree with GNev
  • VAR is terrible ( insert your own expletive) the premier league is an elitist joke, i hope we go down, and GSB have ruined west ham united. That is the first game i have watched live this season, a waste of money and drawn in by the "rivalry". Never again, will look at the results on teletext like the old days. Can't be too disappointed then. Oh, and Happy Brexit day to everyone who cares!
  • edited January 2020
    Lukerz said:

Completely agree with GNev

What did he say? I switched off after the VAR check
  • "I think it is the thoughts of every Premier League player, not just me - pretty much every one doesn't want to have VAR in the game. There have been so many decisions this season that have been absolutely crazy. They were celebrating VAR like it was a goal and football should not be like that."

Well said, Declan.
  • Moojor said:

So the new game plan from now on, whenever you get in the area don't go for a shot, chip the ball up or aim at the defenders arms.
    Has to be a penalty every time you get the shot on target

No.

There are two different handball rules.

For a goal, any contact with the arm/hand of an attacking player rules the goal out.
    For penalties, the officials still need to determine intent.

However frustrating people find the new rule, it was applied correctly tonight.
  • this year has been a joke in terms of the way the rules are used, really struggling to enjoy football
  • Lukerz said:

Completely agree with GNev

What did he say? I switched off after the VAR check
    He said the bigger concern than the VAR decision was that Rice thinks a point would have been a great result, and that mentality at West Ham needs to change.
  • Gary Neville spot on saying there is a mindset issue at West Ham after Declan Rice saying “it would’ve been a great point for us!” and that it was a good performance.

He’s wrong, it wasn’t a great performance.

• Surely this was the case with our 'goal' :hmm:
  • Weren't UTD pleased with their point at Sheff Utd?
  • Neville is a twonk, then.

1-0 down in the 92nd minute, a point is a great point.

Run along, G-Nev :ok:
  • edited January 2020
    Madcap

Each to their onions.

I enjoyed our performance, and am lookingforward to our next game.

I love Deccers, and I know he isn't the sharpest rubber n the pencil case, but for. a PL footballer to be so woefully ignorant of the rules and VAR is embarrassing.
  • Very frustrating to say the least, deserved a draw, which it would have been apart from one bad mistake at the back and a bad new rule about handball. Good work rate, regroup and go again next game ..
  • Think although imo we didn’t deserve to lose it shows that a new manager doesn’t always mean a few wins, for me more importantly is after tonight we do need bodies in to ensure safety
  • The rules are a joke

VAR was supposed to sit glaring errors

What happened to the refs on the monitor and use their own judgement

Joke of a rule, and its ruining the season
This discussion has been closed.