Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Yeah but to be fair, you’ve never heard of Gary Healy either.
  • Are they experts?
  • They’d obviously watched us in China.
  • Reports in the USA are we have had an offer of 3 million dollars turned down for Long.
  • 10 mill agreed for Obiang apparently
  • Carrol to Newcastle ?
  • Cole to Newcastle? :wahoo:
  • A modest 18 players linked so far in July, taking the total I've counted to 87...

• i really hope we sort out our defence next transfer window.
  • Yeold,

Why wait the sooner it is fixed the quicker we will improve? :ok:
  • Fortune

Well, budget and FFP for a start.

If Reid can get back to form, we have 3 very good CDs, with Rice able to go back there in an emergency.

I think Fredericks is a better than decent RB, and Zaba is fine this year as cover.

I'm not in the Cresswell is pants camp, and think that between him, Arthur and Johnson we have enough to cope at LB.

If Johnson makes the step up this year, that is one of the two FB positions sorted for the season after next. I'd sooner see him given a proper go than sign another FB that then restricts his chances.
  • I don’t think we have bad defenders.

I just think we play in a way that leaves our defence exposed, particularly through the centre. Rice has helped, but I still feel our defence is under a lot of pressure every game because we are too open across midfield.

That constant pressure is leading to nerves at the back and therefore a lot of individual errors.

We need better defensive shape throughout the team and I also think we need to keep the ball better to relieve pressure. Players like Wilshere and Fornals should hopefully help with that.
  • edited July 2019
    Jorderz

:ok:

Both Fornals and Haller are good with the ball, and happy to do their defensive duties, so hopefully

a) we'll turn the ball over less often

b) when we do, we'll have more pressure on to recover it

If our forward players can't reach the technical heights of the Man Citeh players, they can at least attempt to emulate their off the ball work rate.

I think the choice of forward midfielders we have now means that Pelle can be more insistent on work rate, since if a player doesn't offer enough, there are viable alternatives available.
  • edited July 2019
    Jordan :ok:

How many times when we watched a team score against us last year were we gobsmacked at how easily they just strolled straight through the big gaps in the middle? It was a lack of defending as a team (or as a team, getting pulled out of shape/ losing the ball at the point where we were not in any kind of defensive shape) rather than our back 4 being consistently rubbish, imo.
  • edited July 2019
    we have bad defenders.... check our stats for the last few seasons.

Ogbonna is bang average needs to go whilst we can get a decent fee for him
    Reids injuries mean he is not reliable to be counted upon
    Cresswell and Masuaku are not good enough Left backs neither can defend well.
    Fredericks looks like he could come good in the RB spot
    Zab is ok as a backup but nothing more and i dont expect another season out of him after this season regardless.
    Diop and Balbuena are decent enough as a CB pairing.
  • Diop and Balbuena only decent? :hmm:
    I think they deserve a little more praise than that.
  • yeold,

I think it’s way too simplistic to equate goals conceded with bad defenders alone.

We could have Varane and Maguire at CB and but if they’re left exposed 1 v 1 over and over again, they will be beaten by players with pace and skill. Same for the full-backs.

I think our problem lies in how we defend as an 11, not just the back 4.
  • And god help us if Sanchez gets any game time, he is a liability deluxe IMO.
  • we have bad defenders....
    Fredericks looks like he could come good in the RB spot
    Diop and Balbuena are decent enough as a CB pairing.

• OK, so we’re short a LB.
  • Dont think it's one problem or the other

I do think that the system leaves them overexposed, but I dont think the players are pulling their weight

Diop & Balbuena granted I think are top players, but it's not like we have a line of clubs after them

I am not a fan of ogbonna at all. Hes too reckless, giving away cheap fouls and makes me nervous when hes tackling in the box

Reid was a top player, but even before this latest injury he looked a shadow of his former self

I like Fredericks, especially his pace, but he often lunges in and misses leaving us a man light

Zab is a top pro and ny nearly a bad as some make out, but he aging and has been woefully exploited by pace already

Masuaku has all the makings of a top player, but mentally he lapses way to much to be reliable. I'd be happier with him being 1 v 1 with winger than the opposition whopping in a deep cross and he hasnt anticipated the run

And dont know where to start with Cresseell, he literally unreacognisable from the player who first joined us...and it's been about 2/3 of being poor so I dont see him regaining his old form anytime soon

Fredericks - Diop - Balbuena - Masuaku is a solid back 4, but with costly errors especially at full back

That said a B2B CM partner for Rice would deffo be my priority
  • I definitely agree with the view we need to defend better as an 11. We showed several games last season where we were good as a defensive unit, but too many games where we lost our shape completely. It is not a back four issue, but more a mentality issue. If Pellegrini does more work on the defensive side in training, they will get better at being in shape, filling holes, covering, tracking runners etc.

I do feel another CM with defensive qualities would massively help us as we are short in there with just young Rice. But with some proper work done on defensive shape & being a unit between defence & midfield, we will improve defensively.
  • Yes, expect the coach to coach players to be better. :ok:

Few clubs can afford to just buy all the best players.
  • I see Bournemouth have managed to turn a decent PROFIT by selling a French striker of theirs who scored 3 league goals in almost three seasons for them. Yet we struggle to shift Hugill, get under £1m for Byram, and no doubt will only get peanuts for Oxford too

:hmm:
  • baracks,

No one wants to be seen to rip off Saint Eddie. ;)
  • edited July 2019
    What point are you making, baracks?

That there's no point comparing apples and stairs, maybe? :biggrin:

Jordan Hugill age 27, no caps, a couple of PL appearances. Striker.

Byram, age 25, no caps, a fair few PL appearances 3 season ago. Plagued by injuries since. Defender.

How much would YOU pay for them?

Lys Mousset, age 23, 16 caps at U20 and U21 incl 6 goals. PL appearances - 23 one season, 24 another. No significant injuries (according to transfermarket).

I can see a sound reasons why he might command a higher transfer fee.

But would you want him? Would you pay £10m for him?

I wonder if Sheffield will think they have got a good deal there, when they are relegated? :wink:

Also, I don't recall anybody saying we should have been all over that when Bournemouth signed him in 2016 for £7m aged 20 after playing 34 games in 2 seasons for Le Havre.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • We paid, what, £4m for Byram? He's had PL games and PL coaching in the three and a half years he's been here. Arguably he's a better player now than he was when we signed him, and given the way the market has gone since does anyone really think £750k is a good selling price?
  • It's a bad price but sometimes I also wonder why anyone would buy someone who has played so little. 44 games in three and a half seasons since signing for us. And didn't he have a few injuries at Leeds? I don't think he ever had anything more than an average performance for us either. Maybe it was sell him at this kind of price or end up paying his wages until his contract expires and he goes for nothing.
  • We are hopeless at selling players
  • It's a bad price but sometimes I also wonder why anyone would buy someone who has played so little.

So we should also be asking ourselves that question re: Wilshere? A well documented injury record. We may not have paid a fee, but we were happy to give a three yet contract on huge wages?
This discussion has been closed.