Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Vorse, The article makes no mention of 20 goals a season and neither do the comments which are made about how terrible the overall record is
  • -If Obiang leaves a new CDM needed.
    -I doubt we will be able to but offload Sanchez if possible.
    -Offload Hugill
    -If a decent offer comes in for Ogbonna and we can replace with Maripan then do it.
  • How many 20goal a season strikers have their been in the past 20years in the whole PL...

They are like gold dust.

Henry / VanNes / Ronney / Aguero / Suarez / Torres / Shearer

These are the greats of the PL era...

Ronney :hmm:

• DJ - :biggrin: I know but he is the top scorer in Man Utd history... I don't like it either...
  • Yes, but there were Two Ronneys, so it doesn't count... ;)
  • edited July 2019
    Some stats:

Last season's top scorers by club (from open play/not pens)

Liverpool 22 (Mane)
    Man City 18
    Chelsea, Arsenal 16
    Bournemouth, Leicester 14
    Spurs, Everton, Bournemouth13

Chelsea, Man U 12
    Wolves 11
    Palace, Burnley, Watford 10
    Brighton, West Ham 9

Most are only just into double figures.
  • I always think an interesting stat is the % of goals that the top scorer got for their team. Realistically, you probably want your top scorer to score around about 20-25% of your league goals. Any less than that at you don't have a consistent goalscorer, and anymore than that and you are too reliant on one player.

Last year four teams had one player score more than 30% of their goals, which is hugely problematic if that player gets injured or loses form (Brighton & Murray 37%, Leicester & Vardy 35%, Fulham & Mitrovic 32%, Arsenal & Aubameyang 30%).

5 teams had their top scorer score less than 20%, and that included us.

Maybe it's only interesting to me idk
  • That list brought back some long buried memories, I had completely forgotten that we had signed Robbie Keane - :doh:
  • Yes, but there were Two Ronneys, so it doesn't count... ;)

And four candles.

• Out! Get out!
  • How many 20goal a season strikers have their been in the past 20years in the whole PL...

They are like gold dust.

Henry / VanNes / Ronney / Aguero / Suarez / Torres / Shearer

These are the greats of the PL era...

These guys aren't even getting 10 in their whole careers with us.

But I think things have improved a little, despite still having some odd signings.

From Zarate onwards, the record isn't *so* bad
  • Rondon getting 250k a week in China !
  • I would be happy with a Trevor Morley solid 16 goal striker this season.
  • edited July 2019

I thought we had a new (more appropriate) thread for this stuff;

http://www.whu606.com/discussion/10926/hens-teeth-and-20-goal-a-season-strikers#latest

That came later, and is about clubs in general. The original discussion here was more about WHU transfer records.

However, if you would you like me to extract all posts about strikers' performance from this thread, just ask and I shall :ok:
  • Not sure what u do Luke?.. But a future

Rondon getting 250k a week in China !

Rondon aka the love child of Rafa... :ok:
  • Defensive mid Erick Pulgar linked with us
  • Chilean, so an obvious link for journalists to make. Never heard of him so I have no idea whether he's any good or not.
  • Surely all these clubs fighting for Hughill we can bid them up to 3 mill plus a bag of :wotsits:
  • If Obiang leaves, then wouldn’t mind seeing Zabaleta in DM
  • If Obiang leaves, then wouldn’t mind seeing Zabaleta in DM

Maybe a couple if years ago. Think he may not have the legs now.
  • I think Zab needs to be used as little as possible this season.
  • Blimey, with Zab and Nobes in midfield it would be like watching a slow bicycle race in slow motion.
  • Zab covers short ground quickly, perfect for that role.
  • Think that this may be the last year with us for many

Zab is confirmed to leave, and I'd be surprised if we see Ogbonna, Cresswell, Hernandez, Cullen & Sanchez at the club, I also doubt we'd still have Snodgrass, Reid or Lanzini
  • edited July 2019
    WHU_C_l_i_7_y,

I think we are pending another overhaul unless we can start the process sooner and change a few around so it's not a major one. Finances probably restrict how much we do this summer. Some experts believe Anderson & Rice will depart next year leaving an even bigger hole.
  • WHU_C_l_i_7_y,

I think we are pending another overhaul unless we can start the process sooner and change a few around so it's not a major one. Finances probably restrict how much we do this summer. Some experts believe Anderson & Rice will depart next year leaving an even bigger hole.

Experts?????
  • Can see Rice and Anderson leaving next season fo so
  • HAMMERS OFFERED DEFENDER

West Ham have been offered the chance to sign New York Red Bulls centre back Aaron Long, Sky Sports News understands.

Fiorentina and Lyon are also interested in the USA defender.

He was named the MLS defender of the year in 2018, and has a release clause of around £4m.

Never heard of him
This discussion has been closed.