Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Ok, so now Haller's over the line, let's start whinging about what else we need.

Personally, from what I've seen of Sanchez so far, he isn't anywhere near good enough to be an able deputy to Rice's position. Form, injury or suspension will almost certainly rule Rice out for periods of next season, and we need someone who can step in and perform. Sanchez is not that man, IMO.

I'm still not convinced that Cresswell or Zaba are at the required level, either. Again, if Masuaku or Fredericks are ruled out, I'd worry about who we have to bring in.

And, obviously, we're still a striker down from last season (even with Haller signing) so I would imagine we'll see another one coming in soon.

Big question on all fronts, is; who? I would imagine Fornals and Haller represent a large portion of the budget, so we could be looking at a couple of loans or frees heading our way. As back up, I wouldn't mind that so much, and I would imagine we have decent wages to be able to chuck at them given Arnie, Carroll, Adrian and Perez were costing us c.£350k a week between them, and the new signings have a reported combined weekly wage of around half that.
  • Pelle confirmed after the game that Antonio will continue to play as a striker, so I think that's our striker signings finished.
  • Although, noise on Twitter that we are in talks with another striker & are deliberately making an effort to keep it out the public domain...
  • edited July 2019
    Lukerz said:

Although, noise on Twitter that we are in talks with another striker & are deliberately making an effort to keep it out the public domain...

We're not very good at keeping out of the public domain if there is chatter on Twitter :hmm:
  • Would like to keep Obiang to be honest. He would be very tidy with our new look midfield.
  • Granted I dont really follow football outside the Prem (and Champo league), but £15mil for Hayden doesn't seem to be a bad deal

Only 24, covers a position we lack, is homegrown, has physicality we lack & is fairly affordable given the market

If Obiang does go for £9mil I think it's a pretty good deal
  • Champo :ok: Hayden would be my choice. Better than Sanchez and, importantly, English (our homegrown quota has suffered with Carroll and Byram going). Also, he's young enough for a decent sell on fee if it doesn't work out.

But I think Bruce will want to keep him, certainly more than Rafa would have done, IMO, so I don't know whether he's still available.

Lukerz - didn't see the Pellegrini comments re Antonio, but it won't do his confidence any good knowing that he's being considered a striker given that we've just dropped £45m on Haller. He'll now know that he'll be behind Haller up front and probably behind Yarmo - who was a Pellegrini signing - on the right, so won't be looking at too much game time.
  • Thing is OCS, if Antonio is behind two strikers he would be behind four wingers/midfielders.
  • I don’t see why there wouldn’t be enough in the kitty for another key signing? After all we were looking at Gomez even when we expected Arnie to be staying didn’t we?
  • I honestly struggle to see how we can use Chica, the way we play. Unless Pelle is thinking of a 2 with Haller (seems unlikely) then I would say that as a forward Antonio would be more likely to get game time than Chica.
  • So ideally we should have sold Chicha and bought Rondon?

:hmm:
  • Preston have just resigned David Nugent so probably won’t now want Hugill.
  • Nico Schira, the Italian journalist who has a pretty decent track record with West Ham (he called the Diop, Anderson and Haller transfers before anyone else) has reported that Obiang will be going to Sassuolo when the club get back from China. Fee of £10m (£8m + £2m in bonuses).
  • If we are selling Obiang i really hope we are finding another replacement.... i just dont trust Sanchez at all..
  • Starring a game with Haller and Antonio upfront would be a tough day for defenders
  • Wanyama being linked should obiang go

Having endured a rollercoaster of emotions in the Gomez and Haller sagas in this window, I’m not sure I’ve got the strength to then go through a transfer which involves Daniel Levy
  • Wanyama would be an improvement on Sanchez, imo.
  • MrsG, without being detrimental to your prowess at the beautiful game I think you would likely be an improvement on Sanchez. :whistle:
  • DL’s price for any (non West Ham) Wanyama suitors £10m

DL’s price to West Ham for Wanyama £50m

The figures are made up, but you get my drift
  • I get your drift barracks.
  • edited July 2019
    Levy would probably want Rice, Anderson & Haller in part ex plus some money as it's us! We do need a good player to act as cover for Declan. We've been linked with Veltman at Ajax who can play anywhere across the back four so could be a valuable addition? Edson Alvarez can play right back, centre half or CDM another good option?
  • Hayden from the barcodes would be interesting. I can imagine the chat Bruce has with Cashley, "so mike i have £100m to spend, and keep my team", Cashley checks the ink is dry, "About the Steve and BTW how much was Hayden going for again?"
  • I’m a big fan of Wanyama, personally
  • edited July 2019
    MrsGrey said:

Wanyama would be an improvement on Sanchez, imo.

A Lilo made of rich tea biscuits would be an improvement on Sanchez
  • Sanchez is 33 and wasn't impressed with 7 appearances last season. We should sell him if we can and create space for Cullen and Coventry. Both are eager to impress and can't do any worse.
  • Waste of a wage imo brings nothing to us
  • Wanyama has been a bit injury prone the last two seasons. That’s a no from me.
  • Pengeman said:

Sanchez is 33 and wasn't impressed with 7 appearances last season. We should sell him if we can and create space for Cullen and Coventry. Both are eager to impress and can't do any worse.

I was impressed with how comfortable Cullen looked when he came on against Altach. I'd love to see more of him during pre season as well as some appearances in the cups/off the bench in the league.
  • I saw a comment somewhere which said that we paying Sanchez £75k a week and that this may be more than what Lanzini gets?

If there is any shred of truth in this, this for me would place the Sanchez transfer firmly in the Savio and Hugill category when it comes to disastrous West Ham signings
This discussion has been closed.