World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• I’ve just heard dean Ashton on the radio say there is no way England should let up and should go out to win every single game.

Well that’s settled then, nothing more to debate.
  • Ashton was a much better player than he is a pundit. No real surprise there then.
  • edited June 2018
    I agree with Ashton .
    Go for the win regardless , if u wanna win a WC u gotta beat top teams, playing for a result that might get a better or easier route thru the competition is the wrong way to go
    IMO
    Just win
  • The BBC'S article reporting Martinez saying that changes could be made to protect players - particularly defenders - who have a yellow card.
  • edited June 2018
    If will only worry about Belgium if we meet in the final, after this game
    If it’s possible
  • I was just taking a look at Sterling's conversion rate over his career, and it was pretty interesting.

From 2011/12 to 2016/17, he scored 31 PL goals from 282 shots - a conversion rate of 11%. In 2018/19, he scored 18 PL goals from 86 shots, a conversion rate of 21%.

For reference, Harry Kane had a worse conversion rate this season (16%), Marcus Rashford has a conversion rate of 11.4% over the last two seasons, Jesse Lingard has a three year average of 10.5%.

In terms of chance conversion, Sterling is no worse than any of our other attacking midfielders throughout his career, even ignoring his massive improvement in 2017/18.
  • My problem with Sterling is his shooting is terrible. If you look at the goals he has scored last season, a lot of them have been back post tap ins. You could argue that he always gets himself into that position but he does get good service.
  • Thing I would argue with Sterling is, last season, how many of those goals he got were crucial goals, and how many were the 3rd, 4th & 5th goals in games?
  • 13 of Sterlings 23 goals were the first or second scored by City across all comps along with 4 more that were 3rd goal clinchers.
  • Luke, how many times were City in a position of need a 'crucial' goal?
  • At the beginning of the season they were

Sterling won them a lot of points with his goals
  • Thought this was about England
  • Thought Sterling was an England player.
  • I think his movement was very good against Panama and he was unlucky to not get a goal. He should’ve buried the one that Stones followed up on but if England had pushed more in the second half we might’ve seen him score. He’s had a lot of pressure on him building up to this and I’d hope a goal releases that.
  • edited June 2018
    MrsGrey said:

Thought Sterling was an England player.

Not when is man c and manc players around him, should be what he can do for England or this can’t do.
  • Ok.... Momentum and all that other bluff talk aside by England, I am going to say that I want England to lose!

Looking at the bottom half of the draw, surely its the better place to be. We could conceivably have to beat Spain or Croatia (if we get past someone from group H and one of Sweden or Switz?) to get to the final!

Spain
    Russsia

Croatia
    Denmark

Sweden
    Probably Switzerland

England
    Japan/Senegal/Columbia

Top half has

Portugal
    Uruguay

France
    Argentina

Mexico
    Probably Brazil

Belgium if they beat us
    Someone from group H

Do Belgium really think beating us is a good thing? No! If its a draw, we need to get some yellows and drop to second! I dont care if its stage managed o sneaky. You know other countries would do it. Be smart! If we go out to a team like Sweden anyway then fine. But we have real potential to go very far if we make the right group choice....
  • I was just saying the same with my work colleagues. It goes against everything I like in sports but I would suggest that we want to lose to Belgium.
  • If Brazil come second then the lower half becomes very difficult with Spain in there too.
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/25/players-banned-deliberate-booking/

If it's thought you deliberately got a yellow to game the system, or deliberately lose the game, FIFA will punish you.

(Am still looking for the exact rules, how such a thing would be assessed, and what sanctions would be imposed.)

Also, 2 yellows accumulated = 1 match ban. Slate wiped clean after QF.
  • I don't think it's so straightforward. None of Portugal, Uruguay, France or Argentina have played well. Brazil have shown devastating flashes but not consistency. Mexico looked good until today.

Either way, the next game could be tough if it's Colombia, who looked brilliant against Poland, or Senegal, who have a good combination of pace and skill if they sort out their lack of confidence. Japan would probably worry the least but are clearly an effective unit.

Croatia is the form team. Sweden and Russia have surprised.

You've got better teams in the top half but better form in the bottom half. The confidence of beating a major team like Belgium would probably be help as well.

I'm really not sure there's that much benefit from losing, on balance.
  • That's ok. We can sacrifice Dier and Jones for the cause.
  • Tomw85 said:

I was just saying the same with my work colleagues. It goes against everything I like in sports but I would suggest that we want to lose to Belgium.

Like we've got a choice?

;lol

Loving the confidence! Is this what it feels like to support a club other than West Ham?
  • edited June 2018
    I understand that there are those who have studied the tables and think that it would be a strategic advantage to lose against Belgium, however, I cannot count myself amongst them.

I think it is a very difficult and dangerous game to play with players minds, even if you “succeed” and get yourself into an “easier” grouping, there is a danger that you start to believe your own press and that you simply have to turn up and win, there is a very fine line when competing at this level and there are many examples of teams imploding.

You have to assume that the Germans fancied themselves today, was there slightly less effort on their part, did they think to themselves that their last minute goal the other day was enough as now they only had to face Korea and they were through, hard to say either way but it is beyond doubt that they are now out of the tournament.

Assuming we go for the win and end up facing a more challenging route (on paper) to the final, the team will know that they will have to bring their A game on each and every occasion and be fired up for it, I actually think that is far better to have a positive mindset than deliberately looking to underperform and thinking that you will walk through the elimination rounds.

go for it England!!!!
  • edited June 2018
    Bazshuayi said:

Ok.... Momentum and all that other bluff talk aside by England, I am going to say that I want England to lose!

Looking at the bottom half of the draw, surely its the better place to be. We could conceivably have to beat Spain or Croatia (if we get past someone from group H and one of Sweden or Switz?) to get to the final!

Spain
    Russsia

Croatia
    Denmark

Sweden
    Probably Switzerland

England
    Japan/Senegal/Columbia

Top half has

Portugal
    Uruguay

France
    Argentina

Mexico
    Probably Brazil

Belgium if they beat us
    Someone from group H

Do Belgium really think beating us is a good thing? No! If its a draw, we need to get some yellows and drop to second! I dont care if its stage managed o sneaky. You know other countries would do it. Be smart! If we go out to a team like Sweden anyway then fine. But we have real potential to go very far if we make the right group choice....

England are good at losing , important matches, why go down that route when we have the feel good factor,,, wie have only played 2 games. In this competition
  • As an Englishman living with the Belgiums I want us to SPANK them...

Win win win...
  • Not that I'm living with the Belgians. ;biggrin
  • Soooooo.... It's just me then ;lol I dont mind that. I am sticking by what I said though and I have zero desire to play Brazil if we get through the next round
  • For some reason I don't believe you're sticking by a decision.
  • Can someone make a rectangle so we can ask if VAR can be used to verify with Baz whether he is going to stick with his decision please?