The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• Gerrard playing the victim already:

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45076686

Never liked him as a player, already don't like him as a manager.
  • Oh dear poor StevieGee...

#notboverd ;biggrin
  • I guess it goes to show that once a classless twonk...
  • He reminds me of Rodgers and Martinez, you know, the men who invented football. ;lol
  • According to the BBC ....

Sarri's first competitive game in charge of Chelsea is at Huddersfield on Saturday

So, the Community Shield is not considered a competitive game.
  • It is if you win it, not so much if you don't.
  • edited August 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45081668 Fifa e-World Cup.

This made me ;lol
    The Xbox player secured a 4-0 aggregate victory over Belgium's Stefano 'StefanoPinna' Pinna to secure the top prize.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45087444

A study into 'luck' in the 2017/18 season. It's really interesting (I think), and actually shows that, based on the metric, we were 1 point better off than we should have been with neutral luck.
  • edited August 2018
    alderz

I saw that, and had grave doubts about its 'science'.

The BBC have got into reporting this kind of thing, without in any way bringing a critical mindset to it. (This isn't just a dig at the BBC; Ben Goldacre's book 'Bad Science' shows just how slack journalists have become in reporting 'scientific studies.') They happily published a bunch of nonsense from a 'super-computer' that claimed to determine what the final points would be for teams in the relegation zone, which was way out.

A research team collaborated with ex-Premier League referee Peter Walton, analysing footage from every game of the 2017-18 Premier League season and watching for:

Goals that should have been disallowed
    Incorrectly disallowed goals
    Incorrectly awarded penalties (that were scored)
    Penalties that were not awarded but should have been
    Incorrect red-card decisions
    Red-card incidents that were missed

These can only subjective opinions. For me, the only way that would properly work would be to have the actual referee team that were at the game review the game. That way, at least there would be a consistency to the decisions.

Despite the claims that 'thousands of simulations were run' to determine how the game would have turned out taking these factors into account, there is simply no real way to know what might have happened.

Goals scored after injury time overran

This has nothing to do with luck whatsoever. Injury time as shown on the board is the minimum amount of time a referee is going to add, not a maximum.

Deflected goals

This is the biggest joke of the lot. Yes, deflected goals are lucky.

So are deflected shots that cannon off a defender's backside and clip the crossbar before dropping to safety. But they aren't included.

So are dozens and dozens of other interactions throughout a game.

And what is the startling result of this investigation?

Incorrect decisions benefit one team to the disadvantage of the other.

Think we probably knew that.
  • But one place worse off. With neutral luck we may have been a point worse off but would have gained an extra £1M plus
  • I believe saying Man Utd are the luckiest team probably didnt need any scientific analysis ;whistle
  • Ben Goldacre ;bowdown
  • Surprise surprise, an article claiming Liverpool are unlucky. Poor old them, always the victims
  • Happy Birthday legend!
  • http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11465325/tottenham-finish-as-runners-up-ahead-of-liverpool-manchester-united

According to sky's computer we are going to finish 17th ! the program does not take into account any transfers so seems a bit pointless
  • That's ridiculous
  • You might as well have used the teams from 10 years ago. Totally pointless.
  • At least it captured spuds signings this year
  • You might as well have used the teams from 10 years ago. Totally pointless.

Nah! They weren't that bad. ;lol
  • I view all these nonsense articles as pre season training for the football journalists and just like the pre season games they have no real content.

On another note however I was just looking down the Championship at the weekend and it did not appear terribly strong in my view. There are usually those you expect to come straight back up or spend as Wolves did but it appears this year it's hard to pick out too many obvious contenders. Villa will of course be most peoples favourites but the failure last season may just have knocked a bit of momentum out of them and should Grielish leave they could lack a bit of star appeal for the division that they had last year,
  • These Messi Foot Bubbles (with 4 different types of socks to collect) are a real thing, not a spoof...

• They're just glorified Totes Toasties. ;lol
  • edited August 2018
    For no other reason other than it's hilarious, and I don't know why I suddenly thought of it, I give you

;lol
  • Marlon Hareood

Always a Hammer ;carew

3B1EFE97-00F1-4806-AC89-F1CC0DFAA2AC
  • edited August 2018
    Just seen on Sky Sports

Pochy saying that the spuds didn't sign anyone because of

wait for it

Brexit

But then again, the spuds would know everything about leaving Europe from previous experience
    ;lol ;lol ;lol
  • I saw a video of the toilet bowl, seemed a long way off being ready...

Their meant to play their in 3 weeks.....

Can you get relegated if you don't have a home ground.... ;tumbleweed
  • It may have been an old video....
  • https://www.givemesport.com/1370350-west-ham-have-created-a-dangerous-starting-xi-going-into-the-new-season?autoplay=off

Great article although I am abit unsure about Nolan playing in midfield with him managing Notts County aswell ;lol
  • Reid recovered fast as well ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.