West Ham vs Huddersfield 11.09.17 Match Thread

Comments

• Oh, and happy, happy, joy, joy! ;wahoo coyi ;scarf
  • A very needed win full of commitment.

Antonio was standout and Zab showed tons of intent early on closing down.

The formation and style was 6 pointer setup, Hernandez showed willing but is lost on the wing. Long balls and battling MF.
  • Florin ;ok

Although, that's why (imo) much analysis of the table at this stage of the season is pointless. Whether you are doing well or doing badly, it (table) really isn't significant.

There's a reason they play 38 games.
  • edited September 2017
    Hope that's a one off playing Chicharito on the wing. Won't be long before he wants out playing there every week.

We were fortunate. Much improved effort. But we won due to a huge deflection and a scramble from a corner.

That direct style won't work all season.

But we wanted it more and won due to a desire and fire in our bellies.
  • Great to get a win and a clean sheet, mainly based on work rate rather than a cutting edge but still welcome. Not sure where Arnautovic and Lanzini will play when fit as everyone played their part today. But I am sure Bilic would welcome that problem. Not sure why Ayew was booed when he came on because he did not deserve it. Love him or hate him he gives his best and today had a role in the first and scored the second. Could say he was a super sub. Hernandez was below par, possibly because he was forced wide and I am sure that Bilic will solve that conundrum for the WBA game.
  • Good result.

Lets now build on it.

Three at the back definitely the preferred system.

Agree with earlier comment, some shooting practice is needed.

Did we miss Noble? Nope!
  • You know what we love on our birthdays?
    3 POINTS!

This is for you Slaven Billic and @McHammer , Happy Birthday both- hope you enjoyed your present! ;scarf ;goal

Everything i could wish for. (And im exactly 10 years younger than Slav)!!
  • We were fortunate.
    No, we weren't. We really, really weren't, and their manager made that clear:
    Unfortunately it was a deserved defeat. We were not good today especially with the ball.
    Had we not won that game, which we totally dominated, we would have been terribly unlucky.

If, all season, we play most games in the opposition third, and restrict them to almost no chances, I suspect we will do OK.
  • Reading the press coverage.

Two articles in the Grauniad. Two different headlines.

1. West Ham give Slaven Bilic respite as lucky break earns win over Huddersfield

vs

2. The Hammers haul themselves off the foot of the table with a hard-fought but deserved win over the Terriers.
  • edited September 2017
    As much as I enjoyed the match and our relentless endeavour, I agree Vorse and Lukerz that better teams will lap us up if we don't play with a little more variety. Today's strategy was perfect for today's match situation, but will not apply to all games. This is why I think it's too early to categorically state we now must always play 343. When Huddlesfield did go through the middle, Obiang and Kouyate were on a couple of occasions passed by. Better teams will ease through that.

However, for now I am overchuffed, and can advance with the rest of my week with a proper roof on me boat! ;scarf
  • McHammer said:

Everything i could wish for. (And im exactly 10 years younger than Slav)!!

;champagne ;cake
  • I like the fact I'm struggling work out where Lanzini and Arnautovic fit into that side
  • Anyone else notice how much that clean sheet meant to Joe Hart ;ok
  • edited September 2017
    Grey - I thought we deserved the win. But it could've finished 0-0 had it not been for that slice of luck. We did deserve the luck, but lucky it was. Just hope that won't be the default style with Carroll in the side. Thought it was very one-dimensional.

Shout out to Cress today. He was excellent after getting a lot of flack recently. Cracking corners.
  • edited September 2017
    alderz ;ok You, Sam + Carrah. ;biggrin

4-4-2 with a midfield diamond? Might get all our best players to start?

tbh, I know we paid a lot for Arnie but I'm sort of thinking he's a luxury player (in this team, for us, at the mo - because he's not good enough defensively/out of possession). So really I'd just be looking for how to fit Lanzini back in to the starting line-up. We need him on free kicks. Amongst other things.

• Champo

Carroll is capable of getting injured at any random moment due to the most innocuous thing. It's almost pointless trying to second guess when and for what reason he might get injured. So it's quite right IMO to just start him and take the plunge

As is any other player.
  • As much as I enjoyed the match and our relentless endeavour, I agree Vorse and Lukerz that better teams will lap us up if we don't play with a little more variety. Today's strategy was perfect for today's match situation, but will not apply to all games.

Funnily enough, today's strategy won't work in our next game, away to West Brom. They will lap it up if we hoof the ball to Andy at every opportunity. At least Arnie is back so he can play on the left wing.
  • MrsGrey said:

alderz ;ok You, Sam + Carrah. ;biggrin

4-4-2 with a midfield diamond? Might get all our best players to start?

tbh, I know we paid a lot for Arnie but I'm sort of thinking he's a luxury player (in this team, for us, at the mo - because he's not good enough defensively/out of possession). So really I'd just be looking for how to fit Lanzini back in to the starting line-up. We need him on free kicks. Amongst other things.

i did say a while ago we need to go back to the Allardyce Diamond formation ;whistle
  • Just got home. Well played and great effort.

Hope Bilic haters will over the web will keep things quiet. He could really do a great job and if so we want him to stay with us.

Well played West Ham. A lot of positives! Never seen us press with so much desire and so high up the pitch.
  • What this performance showed is that the team are together, up for it and behind Slav, The attitude and fight from the first whistle was superb. We did lack some quality in using the ball and lacked a creative player such as Lanzini or Payet but we kept grafting and when you press and push forward to that degree something will always happen. I agree with those that say a back 3 is the way forward as each time we play that formation we look more threatening due to the wing backs showing forward facing aggression.

As for individuals, Antonio back to his best, Zab most certainly is not here to see out his career, looked like a man possessed at times and Carroll showed intent even if needing a couple of games to get up to speed. Kouyate also makes a difference as he looks so awkward to play against.

I think there is no starting place for Noble as couldn't see him adding to that team today, especially when you put Lanzini and Arto into the mix, for me should play a role from the bench when trying to see out matches now.

That was a start but we really now must take something from the weekend, even if only a point.

As for Huddersfield I was really impressed with the defence as were very well organised and I don't see them going down. The one shocker was for the first goal, a premier league defender turning his back on the ball is simply not on. Imagine Ginge doing that! He would stand facing a cannonball.
  • I assume we'll eventually switch to 4 at the back to fit in all our midfield and attacking players, unless Antonio goes back to right wing back.

Agree we play better with 3 at the back but I think a bigger deal was Kouyate's return and Obiang and Antonio playing well giving us more of a presence. We couldn't have played that kind of intense pressing game without them. AC also gave them something to think about, Reid cleared up well in defense and the full backs pushed a lot.

We always look worse without Kouyate in midfield.

There has to be a solution that doesn't stick Hernandez on the wing and fits Lanzini in.
  • All in all I wanted to see us up for it and play with both intensity and purpose, We certainly got that.

Huddersfield may lament the first goal but we totally deserved the win, whole team gave 100% and how many times can we truly say that, special shout out for Zab and Antonio.

Was puzzled at the substitution but it paid off so kudos.

COYI
  • That's the first time I got to see West Ham play this season (apart from the two minutes at the end of the Man Utd game, but that doesn't count for obvious reasons).
    The team looked fantastic, if a little clumsy at times on the ball -I'm thinking of Kouyate here especially, but a bit more practice and ball time should solve that.
    Antonio deserves an extra helping of ice cream for that performance. He is probably still running this morning.
    Carroll came back after 316 months' injury and played 81 minutes, and as usual played from the heart, acting as much as our first (and sometimes second of third) line of defence as well as getting almost everything that came from the air.
    And Tom Ince will not be at Huddersfield this time next year.
  • Decent performance that in difficult circumstances what with the poor start to the season and all the other shenanigans that had been going on

Back 3/5 is the way to go, not every game but much more often. We've missed Kouyate, always maintained that pound for pound he was the best signing of the last 4-5 years when you think how much we paid for him

Was really surprised that Hernandez came off and not Carroll considering his injury record. It may not always be pretty but we look a lot more dangerous when Andy is playing and the bloke can never ever be faulted for his work ethic / effort. I have no idea what goal / assist stats Ayew has but they must be decent.

Credit to the fans, they got behind the team and happy birthday to Slav, he deserved that and let's hope this is the start of all sacking talk being put to bed.

coyi
  • edited September 2017
    Carroll came back after 316 months' injury
    ;nonono what ;hmm seriously ;whome

Not even 316 days ;doh
  • That was hyperbole, NWC. Just to clarify, I did not think that Carroll had been injured for 26 years and four months.
  • It is good to get the win . Hopefully we can move forwards and improve the style a bit. We have the players to play a lot better.
  • I think it was clear we went fully direct to a) utilise Carroll and b) take pressure off the nervy, mistake-ridden defence.

When you need a win, you can live with it. But hopefully we'll vary up our style as and when we move up the table.
  • I will say though that I would have liked to have seen Hernandez played through the middle instead of out on the wing. It looked to me like he and Antonio should have swapped places.
This discussion has been closed.