Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• We obviously don't have a defensive coach because we're clueless. I bet our 4 new signings are beginning to regret it.
  • how long till Old Trafford ;puzzled
  • Not long enough at this rate. Man City next week so that should be fun unless they let us play our entire squad.
  • Calm down thorn lol
  • Just joking Luke but our pre season doesn't appear to have gone totally to plan despite Slav keep saying we're exactly where we should be.
  • Obiang redeemed himself in the second half. Ayew too. Chicharito should arguably have scored the winner, but didn't hit his shot from wide hard enough. Should then have had a pen to win it even after that.

But over all, rather a poor display. Yes, I wonder if our new signings are looking at the fine print to see if they have 28 days to cancel their contracts!
  • Just joking Luke but our pre season doesn't appear to have gone totally to plan despite Slav keep saying we're exactly where we should be.

Pre-season's about fitness.

So in what way is it not going to plan?

• Reid will now be banned for the season's opener right?
  • Early days with a very new squad. I don't think we can take much from that friendly. Other than the ref was a bit moody, Adrian can make mistakes, and our defence can really do with some more time to gel. Mind you, that little pea bloke looks a bit tasty. How much did we get him for?
  • Arnie is class, though.

Let's not get carried away, he lost the ball a few times (Lanzini style) and was offside a few times too. And would have had at least 1 yellow card in the prem.

#notthemessiah
  • Adam said:

Who ran scared in the wall for the first goal? I couldn't see properly?

I think it was Fernandes, with Ayew standing firm.

We have another game before the opener.

Not sure how pre-season red cards work anyway.
  • He is class, but also a little "clumsy" shall we say. I like him, like I used to like biffa bacon in the dandy.

No.
  • On the bright side Martinez scored again and it was a beut.
  • Both his and Ayew's goals were brilliant.

Martinez and Rice seem to have emerged as genuine match day squad players which is a real positive of this pre-season, but the results have been far from encouraging.

I'm trying not to worry too much about the results and the performances, and am conscious that we're missing Kouyate, Antonio, Lanzini and Carroll, but I would have liked to have seen some decent wins
  • But worrying/annoying that Bilic hasn't really looked to go with 3 at the back mostly preferring his 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formations

Think we look much more solid with 3 at the back and even with the strong number of attacking mids we got doesn't matter if we can't Keep out goals
  • Champo ;ok 3-5-2 certainly seemed to suit us at the back end of last season. Byram, Cresswell and Masuaku are natural wing-backs, but if we want to play Zabaleta then I think we have to do so in a flat back four.

We have the players to play a number of formations so I'm not too concerned about how we've lined up in pre-season. I think our priority now should be not to get thumped by City on Friday, because that could affect our confidence ahead of United.
  • Pre-season results are utterly meaningless.

Seriously, how motivated would you be to beat a lower league German team on a Tuesday afternoon?

Old Trafford will be a little more inspiring and I for one can't wait.

Hope Martinez and Rice stay on the fringes of the team.
  • Results may be meaningless, but the performances do count, IMO. Conceding three goals to a 4th tier German team is a little concerning, irrespective of where we are in pre-season.
  • And just for comparison, Liverpool are playing in Germany on a Tuesday evening and are 2-0 up against Bayern.
  • OCS,

Performances don't count IMO, for the reason I've already said, which is that the motivation is at zero.

How much you want to win a game makes an enormous difference.

And as for Liverpool-Bayern, I think that only confirms my point. If they meet in the Champions League this season, Bayern will without doubt trounce them.
  • Hang on OCS.
    One minute 'Results may be meaningless, but the performances do count' then the next 'Liverpool are playing in Germany on a Tuesday evening and are 2-0 up'

So what?
  • edited August 2017
    When I played any sport, I always wanted to win , friendlys as well
    You don't let let team your mates down
    So what's happening ?
    At least try
    Or a case Of Europey cup again?

• My point is Herb that we are at the same stage of pre-season as Liverpool, and whilst we struggled to a draw against a 4th tier German side, Liverpool are beating the countries best team.

To me, that suggests that some teams can get motivated for pre-season games.
  • Pre season isn't all about fitness. It's about formation, tactics and ironing out mistakes so that when the season kicks off you're ready to go. We still seem to be making all the same mistakes we were making last season.
  • It's pre season, end of imo.
  • MrsGrey said:

Arnie is class, though.

Let's not get carried away, he lost the ball a few times (Lanzini style) and was offside a few times too. And would have had at least 1 yellow card in the prem.

#notthemessiah

I still thought he oozed class though. Kind of player that gets me excited - he sees things, tries things that others don't. He's both strong and skilful, and even if not everything he tried came off, he shrugged off the oppo tonight with a confidence that West Ham players should show against such lowly oppo, yet none of the rest really did (until Obiang stepped up a gear in the second half).

I don't agree that pre-season is only about fitness. Playing a fourth tier German side is also a chance to try things, get confidence. It nearly happened for Snodders, who seemed to be buzzing immediately after his assist, but his adventurous dribble didn't come off, and he vanished from the game again and was probably not a great deal more confident when he came off than before the game. But there was the opportunity for him to turn his form around. Others will have gone backwards in confidence after playing so poorly and getting an embarrassing result.

You can't say they didn't care - you only had to see how they were arguing with the ref and not showing the slightest sign of amusement at the situation.

Not sure about Chicharito's performance - too little too early in his pre-season to judge. But would have been great if he'd hit his big chance harder and not given the defender running back a chance. Would have helped his confidence no end as well, and probably the whole team.
  • edited August 2017

Pre season isn't all about fitness. It's about formation, tactics and ironing out mistakes so that when the season kicks off you're ready to go. We still seem to be making all the same mistakes we were making last season.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that.

It's about fitness; that's all.

We've had great pre-seasons and rubbish starts, and vicky verky.

How can you sort out formation or tactics when fielding scratch sides?
  • Completely agree with grey. Pre-season has got nothing to do with formation or tactics. It's about fitness and nothing else.